Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private patients in public hospital

Options
  • 15-04-2012 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Finding this confusing.I understand that all Irish citizens are entitled to public care.From the HSE site I understand that if you go into the public system even if you have private health insurance you are entitled to free outpatient visits and tests.
    Where the line blurs for me is if you are then admitted.
    Are you then obliged to declare you have health insurance and are you then obliged to pay for all other tests and procedures you have carried out.Or can you remain a public patient and not declare you have private health insurance.
    Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If the public hospital provides private care (even if in the sae bed, ward, whatever), they will likely ask you if you wanted to be treated as a public or a private patient. You should receive the same clinical care but may be provided with a "private" bed and meals service.

Advertisement