Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

100 years later. We don't know when Titanic sunk

• 15-04-2012 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

So is it GMT. BST UTC EDT -5t minus this or that

what time did the ship go down ?
    really unaswerable question 100 years later
    sad

I would really like to take the actual moment to reflect on the tragedy but don't know what it is.

(no wild speculative responses please and some decorum thank you)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Bout 3 fiddy o'clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Pal wrote: »

About 2 hours into the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It wouldn't have all gone down at the same time would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Bout 3 fiddy o'clock.

I know this is After Hours and rubbish is tolerated.
    Thanks friend for that crap

My question is genuine.

Go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

*adopts Cypress hill voice*

"When the ship goes down........ you had better be ready.................. When the ship goes down"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

sad

I would really like to take the actual moment to reflect on the tragedy but don't know what it is.

2:20 am i thought was the accepted figure. -3 hours or so, with -5 being new york. so about 5:20 this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

cloud493 wrote: »
    It wouldn't have all gone down at the same time would it?
    No...the people sitting up on top of Titanics arse would testify to that ( if they could have )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Thanks friend for that crap

My question is genuine.

Go away.
    :eek: Meeeeoooowwwww!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

approx 5.20am Irish time or 2.20am local time in the western Atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

How do you make a definitive 'time of sinking' then? Time it hit the iceberg, or?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

:eek: Meeeeoooowwwww!

Pull the finger out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I wish to fuck it never sank so we wouldn't have to be incessantly reminded of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I'd wager it sank when it hit that fcuking iceberg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I wish to fuck it never sank so we wouldn't have to be incessantly reminded of it.

so do about 1500 other people, so they wouldn't have to have, you know, died :rolleyes:

sorry, couldnt resist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I know this is After Hours and rubbish is
    I know this is After Hours and rubbish
    I know this is After Hours and
    I know this is After Hours and...
    ad infinitum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

spiralism wrote: »
    so do about 1500 other people, so they wouldn't have to have, you know, died :rolleyes:

sorry, couldnt resist

They'd all be dead by now either way. Things happen, big whup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

approx 5.20am Irish time or 2.20am local time in the western Atlantic.

Thank you.

its sad that some people make a mockery of this question
    but to you sir I say thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

A few minutes after Jack got his hole

so do about 1500 other people, so they wouldn't have to have, you know, died

The pain and suffering they experienced pales in comparison to that which has been inflicted by Titanic movies/docs and Celine Dion.

Be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

so do about 1500 other people, so they wouldn't have to have, you know, died

The pain and suffering they experienced pales in comparison to that which has been inflicted by Titanic movies/docs and Celine Dion.

Be fair.

But we got to see tits in that film!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I can't imagine when it was sinking and eventually sunk, that people of the time were all too concerned or even overly aware of what time it was for the foresight of providing accurate history, they had more important matters on their mind, like surviving, and stuff like that.

Anyway, we need a sub-forum or just a general megathread for Titantic threads at this stage.

But we got to see tits in that film!

Its one (two?) redeeming feature.

NSFW.

I can't imagine when it was sinking and eventually sunk, that people of the time were all too concerned or even overly aware of what time it was for the foresight of providing accurate history, they had more important matteron their mind, like surviving, and stuff like that.

Anyway, we need a sub-forum or just a general megathread for Titantic threads at this stage.
    A bit like when soldiers are throwing into battle knowing there is no going back and what's ahead isin't much of a safety option either .

Latchy wrote: »
    A bit like when soldiers are throwing into battle knowing there is no going back and what's ahead isin't much of a safety option either .

Yeah sorta, except if that were me, I'd get a great adrenaline rush running into enemy lines, but I'm a bit mad, so not representative of the normal population, so yeah, like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Basically, when Titanic left Southhampton, she was on Greenwich Mean Time. Since Standard Time New York was 5 hours behind GMT, the ship would need to reduce her clocks by that total so that when she arrived at New York, ship's time coincided with the time on shore.
    As you probably know, the time of Noon... mid-day..at any place on the surface of the earth, is when the sun crosses the longitude of that place and bears either due north or due south. It follows that on a ship, the number of lines of longitude crossed during each period of a day, determines the number of minutes the clocks have to be altered. By this means; when Titanic arrived at New York, she would be at or near the longitude of that city. When Titanic was at Queenstown, Ireland; her clocks were 25 minutes behind GMT. This was the standard time for Dublin which was the standard time kept in Ireland in 1912. It is GMT today.

At Noon on Sunday, 14th April, 1912, Titanic crossed the longitude of approximately 44 degrees, 30 minutes West and her clocks were set to 2 hours, 58 minutes behind GMT. Her navigators reckoned she would be at about 56 degrees,
    15 minutes West at Noon the next day, on the 15th of April. As djonson advised you; from this, they deduced they would need to alter the clocks a total of 47 minutes so that at Noon the next day, they would read 12 o'clock.

On every ship.. the total amount of a planned clock change was shared between the men working during the night hours.. for ease of explantion we call the clocks and time pieced used by the men..the 'working' clocks.
    The White Star Company, owners of Titanic, had strict rules as to when the sharing was to take place... it was to be between the hours of 10-pm and 6am the following morning.
    The clocks used by passengers were also changed but this was done at midnight. At that time, the full amount of change would be applied. Therefore at midnight, the passenger clocks were to be set back a total of 47 minutes whereas the 'working' clocks were set back in two stages...24 minutes then 23 minutes.

From the foregoing, it follows that when midnight 14th April arrived, the passenger clocks would now be 2 hours 58 minutes + 47 minutes = 3 hours 45 minutes behind GMT and the 'working' clocks 2 hours 58 minutes + 24 minutes = 3 hours 22 minutes ahead of GMT. Since the difference between GMT and New York MT was 5 hours; the difference between ship's time and NYMT would be 5hours minus 3h 45 min. = 1 hour 15 minutes for passenger clocks and 5 hours minus 3h 23min = 1 hour 37 minutes for 'working' clocks.

The big question about Titanic's clocks has been ' were they or were they not altered before she hit the iceberg?'

It is uncertain whether the passenger clocks were altered but there is very strong evidence that the 'working' clocks were.
    This comes from 2nd Officer Lightoller and 4th Officer Boxhall who both swore under oath that the difference between ship's time and Newy York time when Titanic hit the iceberg was 1 hour 33 minutes.
    Researchers have pounced on this and pronounced it as misleading and incorrect... it is not! In fact it is they who, by assumptions regarding New York time used by mariners have made a fundemental mistake. It comes from using an exact 5 hour difference between New York Mean Time and GMT. In fact, mariners only used one Mean Time.. GMT. They used tables which gave them time differences for all the major ports of the world. In these tables, the New York value is recorded as
    4 hours 55 minutes.. not 5 hours!
    If, as the Titanic officers swore; the working clocks were 1 hour 33 minutes ahead of New York time; this would mean they would be 4 hours 55 minutes minus 1hour 33 minutes = 3 hours 22 minutes behind GMT at the time they hit the berg.Since we know they were 2 hours 58 minutes ahead of GMT at noon that day, the working clocks must have been changed before they hit the iceberg...2 hours 58 minuts + 24 minutes = 3 hours 22 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Bout 3 fiddy o'clock.

congratulations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

More Titanic fetishising, oh yeah baby tell me about how it sank oh yeah almost there almost there yeah ugh what time, where exactly did it sink, mmm mmm how many people died yes yes here it comes.

Thank you.

its sad that some people make a mockery of this question
    but to you sir I say thanks.

It's half two in the morning, really!!!!

I hope it doesn't keep you up at night and that if so, you can sleep easily now.

Yeah sorta, except if that were me, I'd get a great adrenaline rush running into enemy lines, but I'm a bit mad, so not representative of the normal population, so yeah, like that!
    I think it's that adrenaline rush that carrys most soldiers into any battle, regardless of weather they considered themselfs representative of the normal population or not because the main thread that holds them all together is survival at any or all costs , just like it would have been for many on the Titanic .

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    I think it's that adrenaline rush that carrys most soldiers into any battle, regardless of weather they considered themselfs representative of the normal population or not because the main thread that holds them all together is survival at any or all costs , just like it would have been for many on the Titanic .

Yeah, an element of the fight or flight about it really. The human mind rejects all rationale and turns to its basic instict, that of survival.

Of course, there are those, who are just willingly and seekingly searching for that rush all the time, those who put themselves into crazy situations, because the feeling they get from it is immense.

Yeah, an element of the fight or flight about it really. The human mind rejects all rationale and turns to its basic instict, that of survival.

Of course, there are those, who are just willingly and seekingly searching for that rush all the time, those who put themselves into crazy situations, because the feeling they get from it is immense.
    Which might be called a living in the moement expierence as to how people react in abnormal situations they are subjeted to and soldiers are the prime example of this because they (on both sides ) hold the power of life and death .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Wompa1

sad

Oh boy. My chance to be a troll. Tragedy? What about all the people America killed in *insert war* ? That's the real tragedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

wait til 2014.

Then they'll have something to remember a centennial for every day of the year til 2018 and in easter 2016 it'll be worth double points here in Ireland.

Hell for simple efficiency all the major news sites should just look at doing up dedicated world war memorial sections to run parallel to their normal sites rather then having it mixed in like it has been with the titanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Your google fu is weak. People survived it, how could we possibly not know when it sank. Also on the real Titanic there was no love affair straddling the class barrier. Boring rich people dated boring rich people and boring poor people drowned along with the boring ship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

KeithM89 wrote: »
    About 2 hours into the film.
    Which was about 1 hour after Kate Winslet got her norks out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Which was about 1 hour after Kate Winslet got her norks out.
    1 hour 21 mins on the VHS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

1 hour 21 mins on the VHS

Keeping it old-school here.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

Wasn't it The Olympic that sunk?

Advertisement