Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice re: beachball

Options
  • 15-04-2012 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

apologies if this isn't the right forum, and mods feel free to move if there is a better place for this.

I've just bought a 16-inch plastic beachball, which has the globe printed on it (for my daughter to get some sense of the shape and geography of the world). It's made of a number of pieces glued or otherwise pressed together along the seams.

The first thing she did was sit on it and burst it - a tiny 2mm slit along one of the seams.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to repair this - some kind of quick-setting glue that could be injected into the gap from the outside? Or something else?

The reason I'm asking this is that we live in Japan, and these things (in English) are not easy to come by, and cost a bit in postage online.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If it is plastic you need to be careful in choice of adhesives, since some formulations may attack the plastic.
    So stay away from superglues.

There are plastic friendly glues that look like silicone, called UHU Por, and take 20 minutes to "grab", giving time to work it into the fissure.
    Or a latex based blue, like used for neoprene diving suits, called Aquasure or Aquaseal should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

These tend to be a write off due to the thin plastic used. Have you consideded 'Sugru' developed by an Irish girl - a kind of polymer which hardens and sticks to most things. Available online only.
    I find it repairs holes in plastic bottles etc so should work.

Advertisement