Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chrome Virus?

• 15-04-2012 2:29am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

having some problems with chrome, basically it keeps crashing. And when ever i search for anything virus related, the pages it gives me back are all jumbled up.

It was doing the same for boards/other forum sites but i reinstalled the chrome app and that's fixed that. But it's still crashing and not letting me search for virus scanners etc.

I did one scan but it returned no viruses.

I'm running an old unibod mac - 10.5.8

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Huh, odd.

While I do not use Chrome often it getting a Virus of any variety strikes me as odd. Are you sure it is not just crashing randomly and it happens to crash when you search for anti-virus software?

It is likely just a faulty plugin, have you installed any recently?

Is it the latest version of Chrome? To tell go to "Chrome" and then "about google chrome".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ya it's just on google chrome, the only extension i run is tweetdeck but i've reinstalled that too. (it crashes alot too)

this has only all started in the last two days.

it consistently gives me weird symbols on any webpage i search for with the word virus in it and the searches work fine in safari - that's my main reason for thinking it's a chrome issue.

and yep up to date with everything.

I am lost then. You re-intstalled Chrome and it is still acting up?

Chrome is pretty stable. Probably the most stable of the browsers as is OSX so it getting any type of Virus is unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Check your proxy server list in Chrome. That may have been changed.

Hobbes wrote: »
    Check your proxy server list in Chrome. That may have been changed.

Not really sure what i'm checking for... there doesn't seem to be any odd proxies on the list ticked..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Also check you are not pointing to some third party DNS server.

Hobbes wrote: »
    Also check you are not pointing to some third party DNS server.

how do i do that? i had a google but can't seem to figure out if i'm doing it correctly.

I thought OSX used system wide settings for DNS? It seems to use the system settings for DNS and Proxies etc.

Then Chrome would use the settings in System settings, Network, Advanced and DNS.

Again all seems fine with those settings. Same as my housemates mac and chrome settings.

It seems to happen to any website i go to through a search engine, it's wrecking my head. I've tried disabling all extensions but it's still happens...

Is the search engine changed? Or does it seem to be through Google?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Windows viruses won't affect Chrome on a Mac and there are so few exploits for OSX in the wild that you can probably discount that possibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Deleting the app isn't enough. Google don't provide an uninstaller or any way to reset Chrome, so you need to try completing trashing Chrome's preferences and profile data.

Go to:

[Your user account] > Library > Application Support > Google

and delete the Chrome folder.

Deleting the app isn't enough. Google don't provide an uninstaller or any way to reset Chrome, so you need to try completing trashing Chrome's preferences and profile data.

Go to:

[Your user account] > Library > Application Support > Google

and delete the Chrome folder.

cheer's i'll try this once i get home.

I presume i'll lose all passwords etc?

Also any idea what could the cause be?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think Chrome uses OS X's keychain but I'm not sure. Just move the Chrome folder to the desktop rather than delete it if you want to be safe.

I think Chrome uses OS X's keychain but I'm not sure. Just move the Chrome folder to the desktop rather than delete it if you want to be safe.

I deleted it but it didn't fix it, i deleted again, and removed the app and added it again. Restarted the laptop and it seems to work fine again now.

Really confusing, but seems to be back to normal now.

Thanks for all the help.

Are your passwords are still there?

What the hell was the cause of it though?

I don't know. Probably a Chrome bug. Not a virus/malware anyway.

Not a virus/malware anyway.

Agreed, especially in Chrome.

Are your passwords are still there?
    I don't know. Probably a Chrome bug. Not a virus/malware anyway.

Nope passwords all gone but I could import most of them from firefox (i moved from it originally)

Ya just seems like a glitch.

thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement

Cross-platform apps that don't use the Mac Keychain properly are a pet hate of mine. Another reason why I'm never going back to Chrome.

I just signed into youtube on Chrome and it asked me to save the password and when I pressed yes OSX popped up asking to give Chrome access to the Keychain.

Anyway, Flash using 2-3 times more resources is reason enough for me to mainly use Safari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Possibly corrupt user profile(Chrome profile I mean, not OS X). God knows it's happened to me so many times with FF on windows, and have seen it once or twice on Chrome on windows, but never on mac.

Advertisement