Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Bus Drivers are a Disgrace

• 15-04-2012 5:44am

i was in town today and this happened before to me and other people were getting on the bus he just closed the door just as i arrived

he didnt pull out of anything and he wouldnt let me on some chinese guy wtf (why couldnt he just open the door)

this happens alot in town to other people i see it all the time :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Was the bus full?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Thats odd? I regularly get the 306 and 303 bus in the morning which always makes me laugh. the bus is very rarely on time and when the driver pulls up late half of the time he hops out for a smoke. Some cheek considering hes just standing there infront of the people he is holding up. Dont even ask about the return journey....bus regularly doesnt show up and if it does it can be anything from 10 - 30 mins late. Just seems to be a couple bad drivers on that route although some are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Ever tried to use the Bus Eireann web site?
    Painful experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

There is no point in reporting bus drivers to Bus Eireann management as they are all unionised and the management are afraid of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

hightower1 wrote: »
    Thats odd? I regularly get the 306 and 303 bus in the morning which always makes me laugh. the bus is very rarely on time and when the driver pulls up late half of the time he hops out for a smoke. Some cheek considering hes just standing there infront of the people he is holding up. Dont even ask about the return journey....bus regularly doesnt show up and if it does it can be anything from 10 - 30 mins late. Just seems to be a couple bad drivers on that route although some are great.

I think the 303 and 306 are very reliable 90% of the time.

When it does run late, instead of leaving straight away to continue running late, I would say it waits til the next timetabled departure to get the service back on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

And when the 303 is late or not running they will blame people parking their cars in the road on Colbert Abenue anyway. And if you complain, the depot will say "thanks for your complaint, but actually there is no problem".

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Leaving early is a pain in the arse as well. Missed the 305 yesterday. It left Dunnes at 6:27 as I turned the corner from Bedford Row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Would like to throw in a good experience story.
    A few months ago I was late running to get the bus, before getting there the bus passed the stop, I gave up and started walking the other way. It stopped right beside me instead "just wave at me if you don't get to the bus stop on time, I'd still stop and let you on"
    Very much appreciated since it was lashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Sera wrote: »
    Would like to throw in a good experience story.
    A few months ago I was late running to get the bus, before getting there the bus passed the stop, I gave up and started walking the other way. It stopped right beside me instead "just wave at me if you don't get to the bus stop on time, I'd still stop and let you on"
    Very much appreciated since it was lashing.

You must be good looking :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Clareboy wrote: »
    There is no point in reporting bus drivers to Bus Eireann management as they are all unionised and the management are afraid of them.

and with all due respect to the OP what's the point coming on here bitching about it either, other than getting it off your chest. Fiirst point of complaint should always have to be with the employers.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    Was the bus full?

no it wasent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Flincher wrote: »
    Leaving early is a pain in the arse as well. Missed the 305 yesterday. It left Dunnes at 6:27 as I turned the corner from Bedford Row.

Happens me alot with the 305. Very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I am driving since June but before that my bus was the 308, (UL), I live on childers road. Waiting for the 308 at the childers road stop(near Dunnes) is akin to playing bus stop lottery, you could wait 5 mins or anything up to two hours for a bus.

The buses pass you on their way out of town and magically they disappear in some magical mystical abyss in Castletroy and don't seem to come back towards town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even gettin the 308 from town can prove tricky, there is a 308(childers rd) and 308A(Dublin rd), however it usually comes down which route the bus driver himself wants to take and not the actual route displayed. Get on the 308 and half the times he/she will go will go the Dublin rd route instead. makes for fun times when you have paid for the bus and yet have to walk a fair distance int he rain with your child in a buggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank god I inherited an eleven year old car!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Happens me alot with the 305. Very annoying.

The 305 was my alternative to my regular(irregular) bus - 308, at the stop in Granville and if you wanted to get it you would have to be there at least ten minutes early - just in case, but more often then not it wouldnt turn up at all, the 1.05/ and 2.05 notoriously renowned for no shows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I remember regularly I used to see the Coonagh bus come out as far as ashbrook, go into ashbrook but instead of continuing out the Ennis Rd to Coonagh it would turn back in towards town on its way out of ashbrook meaning anybody waiting further down the road would not see the bus at all. Pure laziness.

My mother also got given out to by a driver because she got on the bus when it was heading towards coonagh and she wanted to go to town. He told her she should have stayed on the opposite side of the road and waited for it and not got on outside Northside shopping centre. He embarrassed her in front of the whole bus and she thought she had done something wrong. She reported him and was told there would be words with the driver but I don't know if anything happened after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I was getting the bus out to Knockillasheen before, (I was getting the Pineview bus I think it was!) Twould be about 2and a half years ago at this stage.

But, I was there - and I was getting on the bus, and I handed the bus driver a €10 note, because I didn't have change. And he refused to take it! Point blank refused! So me in a bit of shock and embarrassment (I was holding up the que for everyone else as I was trying to pay!) decides to ask him why, taking none of his **** for excuses, eventually decide **** this, after him telling me "Oh just go back and sit down and shut up you ****ing little ejit!" And I storm off the bus, grab the licence plate number and walk down to the train station, to then be sent down to the other depot, for them to do sweet ****all!

They said they would have words with the driver, and they'd be in contact, but there was not even a single word of contact from them.

I then actually had to walk out to Knockillasheen from the depot (In the pissing rain ofc!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    You must be good looking :pac:
    imagesqtbnANd9GcR2QIUdSqK1sg_KvcBTS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Only had 1 bad experience with a bus driver when I was in my teens
    where where he refused to take my change because I had it all in coppers.
    (back in the days of pence and pounds) Apparently at the time they could refuse if you had more than 20p in Copper coins. I remember my mother furious over the incident she rang up and kicked up an awful fuss. it may be complete fiction but the Station did ring my mother back several days later with a story along the lines to say the driver was given out to, and he was docked money from his pay. (Same Driver still works there today he looked like Jim Fenner from Bad Girls Prison TV series)

I feel sorry for Bus Drivers these days the amount of crap they
    have to put up with from the general public no wonder some of them
    look grumpy and sour.

I'm not a bus driver but if I was...here is what would annoy me!

Knackers getting on the bus being disruptive and loud.
    Knackers deciding they can light up in the back seat.

Chip eaters on the buss. The ones that smell up the entire bus
    with the smell of salt n vinegar from a brown paper bag.

Teenagers with there chatter and loud ring tones playing music on their phones.

Adults talking really loud on the phone as if if they were in the privacy of
    their own home, Nobody else wants to hear your business.

People trying to get away with paying "half" when they are obviously over age.

Every weirdo and nut-case loves getting on the bus and talking to the bus driver.

Drunks falling asleep and vomiting and pissing themselves on the bus.

People complaining if they leave the stop too early and if they get caught in traffic and are too late.

Old people getting on and back off two stops later.

The Buggy brigade where a mother will get on with all of her shopping
    bags on some super large buggy, takes over and blocks the bus
    and argues with the bus driver that here kid in the buggy should be free,
    despite it looking about 10 years of age. I swear there is a trend where
    mothers try and make their kids look younger shove em in a buggy to get them on for free.

The amount of people that appear to have free bus passe's despite them
    looking like there is nothing at all wrong with them. There are some routes
    where I'd swear nearly everyone has a bus pass.

Students with day saver tickets getting off the bus and handing their tickets
    to random strangers getting on the bus. While a Nice gesture for the person who gets a free ride, as a bus driver (if I was a bus driver) it would annoy the feck out of me.

Halloween: Eggs and sometimes Rocks being fired at windows each year.

Ignorance/Rudeness/Lack of manners.
    All those people that talk on their phone while paying the driver.
    All the people that fire change at the driver without even saying Hi or Hello
    People that don't bother their arse saying please/thankyou when getting on and off the buss.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Nobody forces them to drive buses...........???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thanks for giving the other side of the story Bullets. I hadn't considered all that.

Still think Bus eireann web site needs improving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Sera wrote: »
    imagesqtbnANd9GcR2QIUdSqK1sg_KvcBTS.jpg

I never knew you were from Clare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I really irks me when THEY are early or late and dont give a flying fcuk that you have to go to work!
    Or when they don't let people on just before it pulls away, do you not WANT their money??

Ironicly the 306@ 0845 didnt show again this monring. Had to get a taxi. Pulled away from the stop at 0850 and there was no sign of it. Good job bus driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I know a guy who got the bus a few times, and your man refused to take a fiver or tenner. So the guy paying rang CIE in front of him and asked for his boss...
    Not had any bad experiences, but don't use the bus often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Most the drivers I've met are alright. No bad experiences. Some of them seem to ignore the "timetable" and don't show any effort to make up time if.

There's one particularly jovial man who, when he see's me just gives the thumbs up and doesnt want to see my monthly ticket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its the auld wans getting the bus that are a disgrace! When I used to get the bus a loooong time ago, it didnt matter that you were waiting there for fecking ages, they'd make sure they did as much pushing and shoving as possible to get on in front of you! Feckin aul biddies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Some of the Bus Drivers can be characters.

One of them I used to work with over 16-17 years ago when I
    worked with HB ice cream where he was a driver and I was the kid
    that packed the freezers was a real character
    with the gift of the gab. Totally Totally nuts if you started
    a conversation he would talk the legs off ya.

There was the sour sour Jim Fenner character I had my run in with.
    I always remembered him as being a sour ****. I still remained polite to
    the fecker any time I got on a bus he was driving.

There was an old white haired fella that would remind ya of Leslie Nealson
    from the Naked Gun films that was sound out and a bit mad and appeared
    to have the same personality as the movie character.

There was a bloke that was young but looked like he became a bus driver
    at a really really young age without ever getting any education and never did anything else in his life, he was jittery and looked like he may have had torrets syndrome, and chain smoked out the bus window. Fantastic personality, if the bus route was nearly done he would not charge ya if you got on the bus with only a few stops to go,
    he was always friendly no matter what and had a bit of friendly banter in him if there was only a few people on board.

There's an Asian Looking lad that takes no **** from no-one when it comes to his job, he never makes any facial expressions whatsoever though. He takes his job pretty seriously. The same bloke I've heard from different people appears to have on several occasions gone a little nuts while driving
    and started to drive in a bit of a scary way.

There's a black lad with dread's (not being racist but he's the only bus driver
    I've seen thats black) He appears to be really into fitness/running/sports as
    I've often overheard him in conversation with some of the other drivers where they would be attempting to take the piss out of him and slagging him off and making bets about runs.

I've only seen ever 2 Women Drivers (not been sexist but I've only ever seen 2) One of them seems to have disappeared which leaves only one other that I've seen drive on the local Limerick Bus Route. She looks like a tough cookie
    that wont put up with any ****! and seems to be well respected and can sure
    drive a bus.

Ironicly the 306@ 0845 didnt show again this monring. Had to get a taxi. Pulled away from the stop at 0850 and there was no sign of it. Good job bus driver.

Same again tis morning, hung around out of curiosity and it arrrived @ ten to when Its meant to be leaving @quarter to. I dunno TBH, you have two main responsabilities as a bus driver ... be on time and dont crash... yet some drivers can only manage 50% of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Same again tis morning, hung around out of curiosity and it arrrived @ ten to when Its meant to be leaving @quarter to. I dunno TBH, you have two main responsabilities as a bus driver ... be on time and dont crash... yet some drivers can only manage 50% of that.

Be kind of impressive though if they crashed and still made it on time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Can't comment on the city drivers but the Bus Éireann drivers at the station are always quite nice/helpful. Even when I'm getting the bus home (out by NCW) they overshoot the bus stop by 300m so that it stops right outside my house :)

Advertisement