Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non faith schools

Options
  • 15-04-2012 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello
    I have the possibility of moving to the forkhill area, however my only concern is schooling for our daughter.
    I have nothing against religious schools, however i want her to be educated in a progressive co educational environment.
    Does anyone know of any good schools within an hours commute of forkhill.
    I'm particularly interested in any alternative schools, such as the stiner system in the area.
    thanks in advance
    James.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Kilbroney in Rostrevor might be worth a look. Primary schools right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Try integrated schools maybe? Know mine still had RE but it may have been skippable, not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

the law here says you must have religeous education unless you have very good reason not to.

certain religeous groups opt out.

there are three broad bands of schooling in NI

Catholic schools.

Mainstream state schools that most folks who arent RC (and here that means mainly Protestant) attend

and the integrated sector.

IMHO the sort of folks who think that their kids need to go to the integrated sector don't NEED to because they already have a ballanced sensible outlook on mixing with folks of another community.

I teach in a state high school and we have about 5% RC kids, 94% Nominally protestant and a few ethnic others,

we have close ties and share classes at GCSE & A-level with the local Catholic school

never had a setcarian attact in my 11 years here.

Advertisement