Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dubbed European series on RTE late 80's

• 15-04-2012 10:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

There was this weird fantasy series that rte showed in maybe 88,89 it was a dubbed series that may have been Eastern European.I think it was set in the 19th century and in one episode it featured Dracula who was played by an old guy with white hair and moustache and it showed him taking off from his castle in some kind of hang glider type thing.The only other clear thing I remember about it was one character who was supposed to be some kind of anarchist who was always making bombs and there was a scene where his wife was giving out to him saying he was only interested in bombs.Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I'm sure it was on rte 2 or network 2 as it was known then if that's any help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

Yes, one of the weirder RTE pickups.
    A coproduction of RAI, the Italian state broadcaster, ZDF, the German one and Czechoslovakia. Reviewed it for Scarred for Life Volume 2. Ferdy Mayne as Dracula, having already played the character in German comedy the Vampire Happening, and before that, as the Dracula parody Count Von Krolock in Polanski's the Fearless Vampire Killers. The titular aunt was former screen siren Viveca Lindfors, by now playing these sort of roles, i.e. as the Aunt in Creepshow. Also appeared as a human in Hammer'sthe Vampire Lovers, had a long career, taking in everything from Where Eagles Dare to Cagney and Lacey and Are You Being Served?.
    Eddie Constantine, the beloved-in-France American expat singer/actor played the sort of Marshwiggle-type water spirit.

Also shown around the same time, Treasure Island in Outer Space - a miniseries directed by Italian B-movie titan Antonio Margheriti whose credits include myriad spaghetti sci-fi, westerns, war movies (the later oeuvre of Lewis Collins) and a video nasty in 1980's Cannibal Apocalypse. Despite being a kids' show, it had the dubious honour of starring two Oscar winners in Anthony Quinn (as a cyborg Long John Silver) and Ernest Borgnine (as Billy Bones), both of whom had worked a lot in Italy, including in the RAI coproduction Jesus of Nazareth.

Italian TV is weird.

Advertisement