Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Copperfield

Options
  • 15-04-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I just finished reading this and quite enjoyed it. Something puzzles me and I'm wondering what your thoughts might be.
    I can not see the relevance of the Little Em'ly business at all. It's almost like a sidestory which has no real bearing on the main story. Was her purpose, simply to show Steerforth's real worth?
    At the beginning of the story we almost feel like she will ultimately be David's beau, possibly his wife. However, after she is found by Dan Peggotty, they apparently never even meet again.
    It almost feels as if Dickens changed his mind about her role while writing, and decided to let her drift out of the story.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

Maybe he changed his mind, given it was published serially he might have been influenced by audience reception etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭IrishMark

The perceptions of the audience was essential to Dickens' train of thought while writing, so it is not completely surprising that there woul often be blind alleyways down which the reader may be led which eventually come to nought. Incidentally, I read this over Christmas and thought it an excellent read as well. I can see the OP's point, but at the end of the day one could question the point of any of the minor characters in millions of books.
    On the other hand, Emily's inclusion does highlight some important characteristics of Copperfield's, however, as well.
    Hope this helps,
    Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

IrishMark wrote: »
    I can see the OP's point, but at the end of the day one could question the point of any of the minor characters in millions of books.

Mark.

Of course, but I feel like Em'ly was more than just a minor character to begin with. I'm just not sure why the story even needed the whole business of Dan Peggotty travelling the earth searching for his niece.
    Anyway, no big deal. Just something that puzzled me. I'm probably just overthinking it.
    I'm not a huge Dickens fan. I find his work enjoyable but nothing more. I'm never in a rush to read something else by him, if you know what I mean, though I may well do at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

PurpleBee wrote: »
    Maybe he changed his mind, given it was published serially he might have been influenced by audience reception etc...

Yes, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Advertisement