Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

calf with drooping ears

• 15-04-2012 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

folks have a calf that has her ears down for the last day or two, she sucked this morning but doesnt look right with her ears down, she lies down after wards, she is chewing away and doesnt seem sick other wise, any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

take her temp straight away vander

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Hi guys I have a 5 mth bull calf the exact same way. Brought him in last evening and gave him15 cc of engymicin same way this morning I'll give him another shot this eve if he hasn't improved I'll have to get something else. But don't leave her go best act early give her a shot of something it won't do her any harm! Anyone else got any ideas of what to give?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

ya i gave my calf a shot of maxoject this morning, could be the start of pneumonia maybe, I have an old thermometer that i dusted off this morning legwax but the fecking thing is frigged, cant get any reading from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

ya i gave my calf a shot of maxoject this morning, could be the start of pneumonia maybe, I have an old thermometer that i dusted off this morning legwax but the fecking thing is frigged, cant get any reading from it

Yea take her temp Van, a cow should be around 38.5 and calves are generally a shade above it.
    Id watch her breathing when she is standing under no stress , make sure theres no heavy pulling or panthing , and obviously no snots or mucous around her nose.
    If she was mine id give her a shot of Nuflor if you suspect pneumonia .
    My father ran a cattle lairage for a lad a couple years ago , with weaners from around the country being exported to the continent on livestock trucks . There was well over 1000 cattle passing through the yard a week , and pneumonia was by far the biggest hindrince and killer . It would sicken you to see the best of cattle melt with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

I think a calfs temperature should be between 38.8-39.3 if i can remember correctly! if the animal has a scour and a raised temperature its defo pneumonia!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

if the animal has a scour and a raised temperature its defo pneumonia!:(

...unless its something else altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I see those electronic thermometers for sale in Tesco.
    My own was goosed too, when I had a look at it recently. They don't like the water...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Digital thermometer lives in my pocket!
    Drooping ears is a sign of ill-health and with calves, if not a scour, is usually pneumonia.
    Get the temp as soon as, it develops rapidly after a couple of days.
    The weather has been ideall for it to start, mine got a chill, but seem to have kept it at bay.
    Nuflor, 10cc s/c in the neck gives 4-5 days cover, but boy does it sting them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

pakalasa wrote: »
    I see those electronic thermometers for sale in Tesco.
    My own was goosed too, when I had a look at it recently. They don't like the water...:(

ordered digital on on magenta direct yest, think it was about 12 euros including shipping whether its any good or not

ordered digital on on magenta direct yest, think it was about 12 euros including shipping whether its any good or not

Great ones with big displays in Boots. Waterproof too...although I'm hoping not to test that:rolleyes:
    From €20-25. Make sure they have replacement batteries. First one I bought, no one in town had a battery for it, real rare one. Boots took it back and gave me a "standard" one, in fairness:)

• Advertisement

How's the calf today?

Advertisement