Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this kennel cough?

• 15-04-2012 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Very nervously we left our two dogs in boarding for 7 days on good friday. I was nervous of them settling in and being happy never of their physical health. They are both fully vaccinated including kennel cough, the one up the nose which they hate. Since we picked them up Friday they've both had about 2 coughing fits. The cough sounds like they're choking and having watched some you tube videos sounds exactly like kennel cough. Otherwise they're fine, no temperatures, eating fine, drinking a bit more than usual (we added some isotonic drink to their water, a tip on the net), good energy levels.
    So what do we do? First is it kennel cough and if it is do we go to the vet with such a mild case? Do we walk them away from other dogs? If no walks how long for they'll be climbing the walls after 2 days?
    I know they could pick this up anywhere but i do feel very guilty that they're sick now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The kennel cough vaccination only covers certain strains of the illness (think the flu vaccine for humans - not all are covered). All kennels require dogs are vaccinated but sometimes another strain will get into the kennel and it spreads like wildfire, highly contagious. If you do think it is kennel cough, you will need to bring your dogs to the vet. It may be a viral strain or a bacterial strain so the dogs might need a dose of antibiotics. Even if it is a viral strain, secondary infections can set in so the vet may give antibiotics anyway. Usually, in healthy dogs, kennel cough will just run its course but beginning them to the vet to make sure everything is ok is your best option. When you go to the vet, wait in the car with the dogs (and not the waiting room) to prevent spreading the illness.

Contact the kennel, once you have confirmed with a vet that is is kennel cough, and let them know. They may be unaware and, because it is so contagious, you could be saving other owners (and pets) from the problems you are having.

Do not walk your dogs until they are better - if they are coughing on the ground other dogs could pick it up from sniffing around (as I said, really contagious). Don't allow your dogs to interact with other dogs at all until they are better. Once they are no longer ill, wash all their bedding in a hot wash, and mop up your floors with a bleach solution to get rid of any lurking buggers that could infect other animals. If you have to walk your dogs, walk them in areas other dogs will not be and keep them really clear of other dogs.

If your dogs are eating and drinking ok, there is no need to add isotonic solution to their water - they will get all they need from plain water and their food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Thankfully it's a cold that they both have :D I still haven't walked them, though I may do tonight for a short one and keep them away from other dogs. They are both eating and drinking, just synchronised sneezing :D and wanting lots of cuddles.

Advertisement