Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

power steering issue Fiat punto

• 15-04-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

Ugh should of known better

But anyway bought a 2001 fiat punto ran fine for 3 weeks now its giveing issues with its power steering it died first time when comeing out of a parking bay and wouldn't come back on that day however after leaving the car for a while and trying the following morning it worked i drove it for around an hour parked it up turned it off and turned it back on no more than 5 mins later and the steering wouldn't work again this first time start everything works second time nothing unless you give it time seems to be carrying on now.

Personal im leaning towards a computer issue my brothers saying alternator issue as apparently it has collapsed bearings according to him and its a electrical power steering system but i was wondering if anyone here has any ideas or experience ?

Ta <3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Power steering failure is common enough on the MkII Punto and can require a relpacement steering rack. Don't know enough about the issue apart from knowing a couple of people who've had their steering racks replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Same happened to me on my 02 had to get it replaced i was under warrenty when it happened only had the car 6 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

we were messing around with the alternator start the car take off the active red lead off the battery and trying to spark a spark plug off it it does nothing tryed running the lights off the alternator only and the car died would this indicate a alternator issue more than the expensive alternative ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

Fault is in power assist motor on steering column. I have repaired many of these. PM me if you want

patgracecaraudio@gmail.com

Advertisement