Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pony Club Hunter Trials Championships in Ballon

Options
  • 15-04-2012 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I was at the Irish PonyClub Hunter Trial championships yesterday in Ballon, just wondering if anyone else here was there and what you thought of it.

My childs' pony was lame so she couldn't ride in it though has before. However transported her friends pony for her and was surprised to see such big numbers. Lovely ponies and children and some smashing horses but the standard of riding was frightening to see.

There seems to be a contradiction in the Pony Cub as they were thoroughly checking tack but no tack or dress was going to save these riders from the deadly speed they were riding at and I think they were very lucky there wasn't a serious injury (as far as I know, though there were a fair few hold ups for fallers).

I saw some serious near misses and one mid air collision that was lucky either horse or rider wasn't killed. I can't understand why they have the fastest time. Its lunatic some of the antics the kids entertain to get home fastest. These are only kids and don't know how to ride safely if they are told to go as fast as possible. Riding club is for adults and they don't have fastes time.

Would love to know what others think of this or am I being a killjoy??!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Just in relation to the tack/ rider inspection: there is a safety element to this process. The Inspector and Chief Steward are not merely concerned at the colour of your pony's browband (although I have always found their colour concerns to be a little irritating), but checking to ensure that the correct type of stirrups are fitted (and properly) and that the rider is wearing the correct protection, that the rider has his or her medical armband, that the tack is correctly fitted and not broken, and of course that there is no threat to the pony's welfare either.

I know you are concerned about the speed element, but this is the nature of the competition and I wonder what the alternative would look like. I think we shouldn't over estimate the risks, which might appear more pronounced to a parent than they would to other spectators.

Personally it's not something I'd find hugely worrying, but I suppose it's a matter for each individual parent to weigh up the risks and decide whether or not s/he wants their child to participate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jennyod

I understand the necessity of Tack Inspection and what it covers and I am all in favour and was relieved to see that it was so thorough and indeed a good many seemed to be sent back for replacement leathers and other stuff. My point was no matter how good the condition of the tack, the speed was doing no one any favours. A good cross country pace is what they should be aiming for and the speed did not display good horsemanship. I know most were on clever ponies who managed to get their legs up just in time, but there were a lot out of control and it's not fair on the horses or ponies to be flung at fences as quick as possible. The reckless speed was worrying and even more worrying is that parents don't always have the knowledge and depend on the pony club to set the standard or pace. To reiterate my point the Riding Club had their Hunter Trials today and there was no mad speed but good paced riding to get as close as possible toa fair optimum time. Even very experienced riders have to comply with this and they don;t seem to have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Have to disagree with you Jenny. We were in Crecora on Sunday, it was fastest time, all the kids preferred it to the previous weekend in Clonshire where it was optimal time.
    The kids don't go fast unless they are able to. Don't they go fast out hunting anyway?

Advertisement