Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP in Carlow whose good with mental health issues

Options
  • 15-04-2012 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Anyone know of a GP in Carlow who would be good with mental health problems? Depression and anxiety being the main things. I've been pushing myself through it for a while (and had counselling in the past) but I'm at breaking point now and definitely need some medication. I've found that not all doctors are as savvy on mental health issues as they should be.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

pm me if you want some first hand info . have been going tru the depression/suicide treatment and know what ur going through

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mareliada

did you find a good GP? i am looking for the same, a GP with experience in mental health and all related issues who can really listen and help not just prescribe more med's? we have moved out of dub to carlow and need a new GP anyway but this is our priority when picking one

mareliada wrote: »
    did you find a good GP? i am looking for the same, a GP with experience in mental health and all related issues who can really listen and help not just prescribe more med's? we have moved out of dub to carlow and need a new GP anyway but this is our priority when picking one

Cant recommend mine enough, been 2 years since my dwnward spiral and thanks to her and the support of st dympnas im out the other side .

thanks for this, is there a gp attached to st dympna's or how do you access services there?

mareliada wrote: »
    thanks for this, is there a gp attached to st dympna's or how do you access services there?

You need to get referred through your gp, i was taken on as an outpatient fairly quickly but i know some who have had to wait a while to be seen. It goes on how severe you are . My gp managed to get me seen by a walk in service as i was in a bad way and her doing that probably saved my life .

• Advertisement

i really am glad for you. its for my husband, he has been thru so many different services, hse/ priv and diff med's for 20 yrs. he could really do with someone who cares and knows their stuff to give him an overall mental health check and med's review. your gp sounds good is she in carlow? we live in tullow but travelling won't be an obstacle. we dont know any of the GPs at all so i am seeking people's advice and recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

There is also GROW meeting that take place in st. catherines once a week. It is basically a support group for people affected by mental health issues. Might be a good additional resource too

Advertisement