Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to plant ?

Options
  • 15-04-2012 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi guys just had a new decking bench made with lovely wooden flower boxes made into each side . thing is I am utterly clueless with flowers and stuff , just wondering if I could get any advice from you guys about what to plant in the boxes , I know you have to plant different stuff in different seasons and stuff but I haven't a clue what to go for or where to start :confused: would like something colourful and pretty ?? any advice welcome , thanks ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

shooter57 wrote: »
    Hi guys just had a new decking bench made with lovely wooden flower boxes made into each side . thing is I am utterly clueless with flowers and stuff , just wondering if I could get any advice from you guys about what to plant in the boxes , I know you have to plant different stuff in different seasons and stuff but I haven't a clue what to go for or where to start :confused: would like something colourful and pretty ?? any advice welcome , thanks ...

You could plant them up with lots of bedding plants and little ivys.Wait until there is no more frost expected or it could kill them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

What size are you planting spaces? For an instant seasonal hit (will flower profusely from now until first frost) plant Marguerites (Chrysanthemums), many colours to choose from. Alternatively for reliable display year after year, plant Wall flowers (beautiful scented mauve or yellow colours). Carnations also make stunning displays as do Scabiosa 'Pink Mist', Butterfly Blue' 'Perfecta Alba etc.

But there are so many alternatives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

shooter57 wrote: »

these for some nice summer colour.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

What size are you planting spaces? For an instant seasonal hit (will flower profusely from now until first frost) plant Marguerites (Chrysanthemums), many colours to choose from. Alternatively for reliable display year after year, plant Wall flowers (beautiful scented mauve or yellow colours). Carnations also make stunning displays as do Scabiosa 'Pink Mist', Butterfly Blue' 'Perfecta Alba etc.

But there are so many alternatives.

hi thanks for your replies.... my planting spaces are 2 ft by 2ft ....... so if I plant these will they just last for the season then die and i will have to plant again ? or will they die and re -appear in the next season ? thanks...

edit:just re read your post and I understand the will grow back in the season . thanks .

Advertisement