Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much grass have you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

magic day around here is any day it doesnt lash rain:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Is the heat coming? It was a glorious day around here today

walked the farm today, now we are nowhere near magic day but we are doing ok, the fact i have a low stocking rate is working out well, have a few fields over 1200, just depends on the weather how we get on... walked silage ground 1800, 2000, 1900, 1700 wont be cutting for a month and all looks well.... was happy enough considering the rain we have had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

is there many on here that have nothing closed for silage yet

have silage ground closed, but its a horrible day here today cold and raining:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

keep going wrote: »

Closed for silage? Great joke:D
    Maybe when reseed(not set yet:mad:) gets back into system.
    Otherwise, looking at kale later in month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

you obviously know nothhing about grass so :D

Possibly

my stock think different and are rewarding me handsomely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭stanflt

gonna stick my head on the line here- ill have 70acres cut by next week end-may have to call in the self propelled

stanflt wrote: »
    gonna stick my head on the line here- ill have 70acres cut by next week end-may have to call in the self propelled
    did you get much rain last night, did you cut what you where supposed to cut last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭stanflt

whelan1 wrote: »
    did you get much rain last night, did you cut what you where supposed to cut last week?

yeah it was lashing here from 6-10

none cut last week and only 6acres maize sown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    keep going wrote: »

Closed for silage? Great joke:D
    Maybe when reseed(not set yet:mad:) gets back into system.
    Otherwise, looking at kale later in month.

Closed silage ground the 14th April good covers on it now. Too much grass can't keep it grazed! Then again had to keep some cattle in as weather was too bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

getting by pushed them a bit tight on the last rotation last years reseeds are letting me out - still have a few straglers just calved in getting washed out of it this morning

stanflt wrote: »
    yeah it was lashing here from 6-10

none cut last week and only 6acres maize sown
    got 25 acres ploughed on friday... thought it would have been sown by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Spread pasture sward thursday and friday. any chance it will get washd away:(?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

walked farm there 2day, v low covers highest is 900kg, cows out full time but eating 6kgs of nuts and 6kg pit silage, spread nitrogen friday to see will it help, this weather isnt definetly going to help conception rates, upside tho we might never hear of super levy again if this weather lasts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

case 5150 wrote: »
    walked farm there 2day, v low covers highest is 900kg, cows out full time but eating 6kgs of nuts and 6kg pit silage, spread nitrogen friday to see will it help, this weather isnt definetly going to help conception rates, upside tho we might never hear of super levy again if this weather lasts

that all very true but hopefully a good feed of nuts will keep them going till growth comes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

snowman707 wrote: »
    Possibly

my stock think different and are rewarding me handsomely

tongue and cheek my friend

Did any of ye see the pic of paddocks in Grange in Farming indo today? :eek:

God there's poaching and there's poaching, these were ploughed up!! What's the point in having them out if they're doing that?

Got fertiliser out on Silage ground here yesterday. Closed two weeks but seen little point in spreading straight away. Very little regrowth. Temps during the day are still only around 10*C although it seems a lot warmer when sun comes out. Falling back to 2-3*C at night....how could there be any growth? :o

One postivie thing I will say.... reseeded ground is really showing it's worth ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

Muckit wrote: »

God there's poaching and there's poaching, these were ploughed up!! What's the point in having them out if they're doing that?

Got fertiliser out on Silage ground here yesterday. Closed two weeks but seen little point in spreading straight away. Very little regrowth. Temps during the day are still only around 10*C although it seems a lot warmer when sun comes out. Falling back to 2-3*C at night....how could there be any growth? :o

One postivie thing I will say.... reseeded ground is really showing it's worth ;)

no didnt see de pictures any chance of u uploading it for the gwak?
    upside lovely evening here sun shining and only for the reseeds the cows be in fulltime, only appreciate reseeded ground in this kind of weather, definetly worth its weight in gold

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

so when do people expect to be cutting there first cut. for me its hopefully the weekend 25th-26th of may. should be a good crop by then. alrthough im back acres compared to last year as i had to graze some i didnt intend too but will top more for second cut.

I'm staggering it this year. Will have some the start of June and more towards the end of June/start of July. A bit behind other years, but doing a better job with the grazing, so happy enough. The icing on the cake will be if it works out that I can take bales out of grazing surplus and have the topper parked up more

;)

Whats worse is or national advisory service are not compliant with laws as such practice is contray to the Nitrates Directive and a cross complience breach. The field will produce little or nothing until a full reseed of the paddock occurs

so when do people expect to be cutting there first cut. for me its hopefully the weekend 25th-26th of may. should be a good crop by then. alrthough im back acres compared to last year as i had to graze some i didnt intend too but will top more for second cut.

Should be doing my little bit this side of the weekend. nice crop of hybrid and red clover, looks good considering no chemical nitrogen applied:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭red bull

Never saw anything like this its been under 2degrees at night for the last ten nights absolutely no growth on grazing area. Silage ground growing slowly. Cows on 9kg of 18%, pure robbery but must keep them going till the day the grass bursts out of the ground, hopefully ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

you know the situation is bad when your still going out with urea in may

• Advertisement

just read mt craniums forecast... wintry showers:cool: might be some improvement for the last 3rd of may ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

;)

Whats worse is or national advisory service are not compliant with laws as such practice is contray to the Nitrates Directive and a cross complience breach. The field will produce little or nothing until a full reseed of the paddock occurs

Seen fields poached like that and worse before while they will take time to recover I have seen them a few months after and you would hardly know what had happened to them!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

;)

Ya muckit saw them, it was fairly bad alright, but they have really heavy land there. As already said above they should have taken them in.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I felt better seeing the fields in Grange, knowing I'm doing a better job than them, fields may be slightly poached but at least there is grass on them.

Should be doing my little bit this side of the weekend. nice crop of hybrid and red clover, looks good considering no chemical nitrogen applied:cool:

Very interesting. Do you just use this ground for silage and take multiple cuts? Would you be able to graze after grass? When does the clover die back.... would be high risk of bloat I would think

(Sorry I have bloat on the brain at the moment! ;-))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

All our place looks like this at the moment, the magic day would want to hurry the feck on!!!

photo-100.jpg

jeez, just saw the grange pictures, not great grassland mangement there:D at the minute i am not splitting paddocks , i let the cows to a new paddock at night then they go to a paddock they where on 3 days ago for the day, this is reducing poaching here, my land is quite heavy bit theres no poaching like on the grange farm- well not as bad:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

whelan1 wrote: »
    jeez, just saw the grange pictures, not great grassland mangement there:D at the minute i am not splitting paddocks , i let the cows to a new paddock at night then they go to a paddock they where on 3 days ago for the day, this is reducing poaching here, my land is quite heavy bit theres no poaching like on the grange farm- well not as bad:rolleyes:

ya say the pic at dinner time, jesus that is bad. there is no excuse for that kind of damage.
    surely they could have stood them off on a lane for the day and let them back in at night to graze. into the field hungry, get a belly full of grass and then huddle up in a corner some where, in stead of walking the field looking for a pick of grass that wasnt covered in dirt

dar31 wrote: »
    ya say the pic at dinner time, jesus that is bad. there is no excuse for that kind of damage.
    surely they could have stood them off on a lane for the day and let them back in at night to graze. into the field hungry, get a belly full of grass and then huddle up in a corner some where, in stead of walking the field looking for a pick of grass that wasnt covered in dirt
    great to see our teagascfee goes to pay people who make these decisions, even worse is that they probably let the picture be printed

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

growth was 28kgs here for thevlast week,going back into silage ground for the third time.the poorer grasses are not growing worth a damn. lots of reseeding here this year

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

this weather is really pissin me off. feck all grass, feck all silage stoped and fed up off feedin calves that should be out with a month.

:mad:

ah well theres always next week.

grazedpaddock.jpg

Feck all here either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

grazedpaddock.jpg

Feck all here either!

Seems a bit one side of the fence;)

Even though the grass isnt growing all that much, thrive on animals on dry land is as good as ever. Quality of grass is very good and low in nitrates. One serious problem is going to be protein in the silage. I have heard of a number of sample cut in the last week analysing under 9%. Digestability is top notch though

Even though the grass isnt growing all that much, thrive on animals on dry land is as good as ever. Quality of grass is very good and low in nitrates. One serious problem is going to be protein in the silage. I have heard of a number of sample cut in the last week analysing under 9%. Digestability is top notch thoug:(h

I would agree about animal thrive. Weanlings I let out in March skin and bone are really starting to shape up now, even though if you look at the pics I posted in beef disc thread, my grass is brown!

What do you think is the reason for protein being so low in that analysed silage bob?

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    Seems a bit one side of the fence;)

A pick is all! Nothing on it the last two weeks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Is next week going to be any better? Had a full night's rain again here last night:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

The neighbour is going away to Spain for a week on Saturday morning. I'd say by Saturday afternoon I might have grass:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

105.8mm of rain here since the start of April, 42.4mm so far this month.
    Highest air temperature in April was 13.1C compared to 19.1C in March.
    The dominant wind direction since the start of April has been North north west compared to a west southwest in March.
    May had a night colder than both March and April..

Needless to say I don't have much grass and the ground is wet...

cows in again tonight, all i can say is thank god we where not milk recording this evening:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Starting to see growth again. Paddocks greening up and last-grazed seems to be bouncing back..
    No buffer feeding of silage in paddocks since Monday, feeling more confident.
    The land out of rotation for last 4 weeks since we disced it is killing me, though. Still not set. No sign of a few dry days to come. It will need to be dry before I can put the power-harrow in there:mad:
    Only then will I feel happier.
    No silage ground stopped yet:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

The old fella is just pulling into the first field. about to knock 27 acres for the pit.:D

The old fella is just pulling into the first field. about to knock 27 acres for the pit.:D

Where are you situated darragh? When was it closed or was it ate in the spring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Up in the NW at the moment and a serious slowdown on grass growth/increased poaching on my place here in the last few weeks. Thankfully still some baled silage in store but we really don't need another cold, dank May along the lines of last years sorry effort:(

• Advertisement

had hailstones today... if anyone had said 2 months ago we would still be feeding silage , i would have laughed:cool:

Advertisement