Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much grass have you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Magic day was Saturday.....all the cattle finally out:D

A place I have rented has took off in the last week, old grass though so its looking stemy already not complaining though

Going round the country lots of grass seems to have shot to seed very early. Must have been the stupid weather conditions confusing the grass.
    Quite a bit of silage ground round here was closed up already gone to seed. We had to top two fields that were gone before we closed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Past few days have been super here in Cork - and today is a soft day, but I am not complaining and we have a small bit of grass seed in, so the rain is great for it.
    As Blue says above, what a difference in a week - places that had weak, pale, shook looking grass have changed into lovely lush, green grass.

Have to work out what to do with the grass now... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

actually have a surplus, growth of 70/day for the last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

can i just ask where everyone has been cause we have had zero grass untill this good weather hit so thats like a week thats its been growing
    every farmer round me is the same our animals are liveing on meal not right in the month of may is it ?

grass has really taken off here in the last week, are you or have you been feeding silage ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

whelan1 wrote: »
    grass has really taken off here in the last week, are you or have you been feeding silage ?

been buying silage and feeding meal only meal now thought enough grass to keep the cows happy between feeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

:eek:12 cows late calvers still in shed being fed on bought silage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

amazing what a few days will do. fed a bale to cows last Monday and was topping on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

pulled out topper, dam thing leakin oil on bed. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

fanadman1 wrote: »
    can i just ask where everyone has been cause we have had zero grass untill this good weather hit so thats like a week thats its been growing
    every farmer round me is the same our animals are liveing on meal not right in the month of may is it ?

This thread is absolutely irrelevant unless everyone signs off their post with where they are from. And do it every time they post.
    Actually there should be a facility to have posters location displayed on their posts permanently.

It must be two weeks now since that poster in west cork cut his silage.

Conditions vary so much in this country this thread is mind boggling.

What am I saying, conditions can vary wildly from field to field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

20silkcut wrote: »

This thread is absolutely irrelevant unless everyone signs off their post with where they are from. And do it every time they post.
    Actually there should be a facility to have posters location displayed on their posts permanently.

Great idea 20 silk cut, could you change you profile to display what part of the country you are in, should be on the left hand side of posts under you name etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

dar31 wrote: »
    Great idea 20 silk cut, could you change you profile to display what part of the country you are in, should be on the left hand side of posts under you name etc.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Speaking of grass growth, has any of you bright sparks, ever figured out how and why, the grass on your lawn, which gets no nitrogen, "always", grows earlier, later and faster than your best field, which gets slurry, lime, nitrogen, P&K, and all sorts of attention:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

BeeDI wrote: »
    Speaking of grass growth, has any of you bright sparks, ever figured out how and why, the grass on your lawn, which gets no nitrogen, "always", grows earlier, later and faster than your best field, which gets slurry, lime, nitrogen, P&K, and all sorts of attention:rolleyes:

It's worked hard (cut low every week) and doesn't carry the weight of any stock:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

We had 5mm of rainfall last night, given the hairdryer conditions of the heat and wind, I welcomed it as I had some fertilizer spread, the ground had gone hard, but that is enough rainfall for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

desert like conditions on my patch of dirt, growth hasn't started at all this year, spring crops are in serious distress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Great grass growth today, mild dash of rain and pretty warm. just getting to the stage of more grass than we need.

I don't see anyones location on their posts.

I browse this forum on an I phone maybe it's a different display to what you see.

I browse this forum on an I phone maybe it's a different display to what you see.
    LOOK UNDERNEATH MY USER NAME, ITS SAYS MID LOUTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

your location doesn't display either;)

Think myself and johngalway have the right idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Tipp Man wrote: »
    your location doesn't display either;)

Think myself and johngalway have the right idea

Yeah you support the cats and the John is a big Mayo fan :p

Back on topic, between yesterday and today we had a half inch of rain or 12mm of rain, Met Eireann are giving some decent temperatures of 20C and over so should be really nice grass growth here in Kilkenny.

whelan1 wrote: »

LOOK UNDERNEATH MY USER NAME, ITS SAYS MID LOUTH

Go easy on the caps lock there.

All I can see under your user name is the word "member " and a pic of kermit the frog beside it. No mention of mid Louth .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Go easy on the caps lock there.

All I can see under your user name is the word "member " and a pic of kermit the frog beside it. No mention of mid Louth .
    I think on the phone it just shows the userame. , at least thats all i can see on mine . But on the confuser it shows where you are from aswell under your username

• Registered Users Posts: 2 the brigand

Growth rate 101kg/ day last week.
    down to 70 kg this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

Most of our beef discussion group finding it difficult to manage grass.

Bad wet weather a few weeks back meant no possibility to clean out paddocks properly.
    Sudden massive burst of growth led to many paddocks with too much grass and a lot of stem.
    Wet weather last week and this coming week means difficult to take out paddocks to get them back into rotation.

I'm topping behind the cattle to take out the stem but the downside is I'm having to graze a few paddocks that are really too strong maybe close to 2000kg/ha
    But if I wrapped them all I would quickly run out. Even the topping is leaving a lot of stem clippings that the cattle are reluctant to eat especially when it is wet. Anyway there is no point in leaving them picking that stuff too long when I have plenty of grass. I'm going to put the grass harrow on a couple of paddocks to clean off where there are heavy clippings - it is something I've never had to do before.

Pharaoh1 wrote: »
    I'm having to graze a few paddocks that are really too strong maybe close to 2000kg/ha

Is this just eyeballing or do you use a plate meter pharaoh1? Was looking at a clip on youtube of a beef lad up north showing how to use one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Min wrote: »
    Yeah you support the cats and the John is a big Mayo fan :p

:p:p:p:p:p

Muckit wrote: »
    Is this just eyeballing or do you use a plate meter pharaoh1? Was looking at a clip on youtube of a beef lad up north showing how to use one.

It is a pretty rough guess to be honest although a neighbouring dairy farmer who measures properly confirmed my estimate.

Thing is I don't think I could have done much different although with hindsight it would have been better to take out a couple of paddocks when we had that very fine spell but they were very light at the time.

I'm grazing the heavier covers with a daily strip wire and the plan now is to manage with a smaller than normal grazing block for the next month or so by spreading some nitrogen after grazing something I wouldn't normally do at this time of the year.

Pharaoh1 wrote: »
    I'm grazing the heavier covers with a daily strip wire.

Seems your getting good so at the estimating ;)

RE strip grazing. Do you use a back fence?

Muckit wrote: »
    Seems your getting good so at the estimating ;)

RE strip grazing. Do you use a back fence?

It is probably not in any grazing textbook but what I will probably do is graze a strip as best I can then top it and move the fence on. The cattle have access to fresh grass but some of them seem fond of mopping up the clippings as well. I might back fence then and do the same with the next two strips.
    If it is too wet (as it looks like it will be) and a lot of the grass is trampled and flattened I might not top and just leave it and maybe wrap it in a month or so.

• Advertisement

the way me sucklers are walking the grass into the ground ill run out in a week. raining all day here and more to come. 50 acres ready to cut til be another week now.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

topgeas wrote: »
    the way me sucklers are walking the grass into the ground ill run out in a week. raining all day here and more to come. 50 acres ready to cut til be another week now.

I'm strip grazing and barely giving them three feet of grass which they can walk on. Im getting a fairly good clean up on the animal side of the fence. Then they are also going on their knees and shaving best part of another two feet on the grass side if the fence. Moving the wire twice a day and also back fencing. I'm even meaner at the weekend and giving them less but moving three times a day. Very dry field though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Cut silage about 10 days ago.
    The regrowth since has been unreal, its over 10 inch's again in most of it and it was cut very bare. At this rate I`ll be taking the second cut by the end of June :D

Grecco wrote: »
    The regrowth since has been unreal, its over 10 inch's again in most of it and it was cut very bare. At this rate I`ll be taking the second cut by the end of June :D
    do you think the regrowth is due to the fact that the previous fertiliser mightnt have been utilised or the weather, see some of the fields that where cut around here grew really well too, some of them havent got fertiliser out on them yet after the cut

Grecco wrote: »

Dat'I be the slurry ;)

growth has gone on me. cows grazing grass that should cut. waiting for silage ground and topped paddocks to come back in. need heat and lots of.

no real growth here :o

feck all growth here either... glad i have silage done...... ground very wet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

dropping the silage in the morning other wise we are down to five days grazing.They can trim the headlands for a couple of days. seen some serious farms getting ploughed by cattle in the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

very little growth here, cows getting baled silage, and getting a few ton of meal monday to get us out of hole. cows grazing covers of 900-1000 and not much of that about, walked farm this morning, 135 kg/cow a slight improvement on the 121kg it was at on Monday before bales went in, this includes all reseeds and aftergrass in the calculation.

please god send a bit of heat

please God send a bit of heat

Amen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

Grass stopped dead here aswell.
    A slight comfort is that there is heat on the way early next week, albeit with rain. Thundry weather should drive on the grass

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

No growth here, and flashes of water in spots. We were hoping to have aftergrass at this stage but silage was delayed til this week gone, so it'll be a few weeks yet. Feeding 1kg of meal every evening, cattle waiting at the gate the last few days. We bought some 2011 bales this spring, may have to open a few & up the meal to twice a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I am under stocked so I have too much grass. The regrowth on the grazed paddocks and silage fields is very slow. I will still end up with 200 extra bales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Lots of grass here, but very very wet. Housed 12 cows that were weined a few weeks ago last friday. They were just ploughing and thramping grass. Not too worried about growth. If it just dried up, the grass that I have would go a long way and I might get a bit of silage cut.

• Advertisement

was talking to a big dairy farmer last night, the only animals he has out on grass at the minute is a few calves:eek: everything else is in! he's well fed up at this stage theres always someone worse off that you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

shhhh the sun is out down here say nothing:),grow grass grow,because legs has to go , on holidays next weekend,getting worried i might have to stay back if it keeps raining.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Terrific growth in Cork today at 20 C. No rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

cows on 2kg meal and 3kg baled silage since wednesday, yielding 22ltrs at 3.33 pr and 3.88 fat, need sun badly as took alot paddocks out in last rotation and very little growth on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

leg wax wrote: »
    shhhh the sun is out down here say nothing:),grow grass grow,because legs has to go , on holidays next weekend,getting worried i might have to stay back if it keeps raining.:(
    The sun is always out, it's those damn clouds that prevent it from shining down on us ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement