Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much grass have you?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭stanflt

Stanflt, do you spread slurry on the grazing ground all year round??? what rate are you putting it out at? and when will that paddock be grazed again?

this is the third application of slurry this year-
    first in january after cows grazed
    second in may after 1st topping and again now after 2nd topping

4000- 3000- 2500 of very watery slurry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭red bull

Its a brutal year, I thought a sulphur deficency only shows up in a dry year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

whelan1 wrote: »
    the farm is actually wetter now than it was in the spring:cool::confused:

that's the reason for poor regrowth IMO roots are waterlogged
    stanflt wrote: »
    this is the third application of slurry this year-
    first in january after cows grazed
    second in may after 1st topping and again now after 2nd topping

4000- 3000- 2500 of very watery slurry

+1
    you can't have enough water in the slurry,

we wouldn't go as heavy as you rates, but the fields would have been very tightly grazed out with sheep a couple of times a year & fairly rich as a result

Grass wise we are ok (just about) milk yields slipped a bit 10 days ago but are back up last 2 collections, however solids and in particular P (last test 3.28) have taken a serious dip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭grange mac

After 4 weeks, finally ground was dry enough yesterday to reseed it, done 8 acresand left the final two as has two patches and decided rather than wait another month 8/10 acres was better than 0.
    As for water...a joke in west cork!!!
    recon there will be a shortage of round bales this year, sold the grass off the field yesterday also to the contractor, he put out slurry & pallet can on the 10 acres.

my 20 bullocks still have 20 acres of a grass bank ahead of them & that is before the reseeded comes on stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just brought in dry cows:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

conditions so so here, have a good few animals back indoors where they will now stay, animals outdoors are getting a buffer feed of around 6/7kilos of DM to keep grass supply some way in front of them, grass contamination is a serious problem this year. Was in one field last week and at least 10% of the grass was heavily contaminated with soil and ungrazeable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

picking up silage tomorrow off silage ground i had to graze the last time i was short in early may,then ill be able to graze the other half of that ground that was cut 4 weeks ago and was closed for second cut:(.at the same time its going to buy some valuable time for me and its better than feeding silage and its good stuff.this year is taking every trick in the book just to keep cows fed besides theres big quanity of silage but the qaulity is awful

Advertisement