Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti money laundering

Options
  • 15-04-2012 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Applied to switch from one BOI cc to another (clear cc) and was approved.
    They asked me for photo id and a utility bill.
    As I am working in Northern Ireland currently, I have family members in the house (Elec. etc is in their name).
    I offered bank statement/mortgage statement or Sky bill (still in my name).
    Apparently none of these are acceptable.

Have the laws tightened or is it just BOI being more stringent?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

As boi are looking to Id you their statements are not acceptable, well that's if the bank statement/mortgage statement you provided is a boi one.

I take its the proof of address that's missing, have you a drivers L with your current addreess on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

So in essence, they want proof of your address in the Republic, and you have a problem providing it because you don't live here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

As boi are looking to Id you their statements are not acceptable, well that's if the bank statement/mortgage statement you provided is a boi one.

I take its the proof of address that's missing, have you a drivers L with your current addreess on it?

Mortgage statement is from EBS,they will only accept a utility bill.

So in essence, they want proof of your address in the Republic, and you have a problem providing it because you don't live here?

I don't have a problem proving my address, did you read all the post?
    I have bank statements/mortgage statements/Sky TV and a credit card statement from the bank itself.
    I'm not trying to open a new account.

My actual question was, has the law changed recently?, or are BOI just being more stringent?

dobsdave wrote: »
    I don't have a problem proving my address, did you read all the post?
    Yes. It suggests that you do not currently occupy the house that you wish to use as your address for this purpose.
    My actual question was, has the law changed recently?, or are BOI just being more stringent?
    I have not heard of the law being changed. The stringency with which financial institutions apply the law tends to vary, very often according to how an individual staff member reads the rules.

I have been advised that one piece of documentation can not serve double duty, so if you use a driving licence as photo-ID, you cannot also use it as proof of address.

I have also been advised that an entry in the electoral register can be accepted as a substitute for a utility bill.

• Advertisement

I have also been advised that an entry in the electoral register can be accepted as a substitute for a utility bill.

Can a copy be requested, do you have any idea how this can be done?

Thanks,

Dave

It happened to be very convenient in my situation, as I was opening an account with the Post Office, where they keep a copy of the register (it became relevant because of the other point I mentioned about not allowing one document do double duty).

That's no help to you.

I believe that Gardaí, also keep a copy. Perhaps they could give you a note to confirm that you are recorded as a voter at that address. But before you trouble yourself or them, it's probably worth phoning the bank to ask if that will suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Thanks,

Dave

The bank like anybody else can access www.checktheregister.ie and print off a copy of your entry.

That should be enough for them.

The law has not changed but internal bank requirements constantly change across the board. These requirements are always more stringent than what is legally acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Does the bank not have access to check this? I know UB does and will not accept a home printed copy.

Advertisement