Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beagle rolling in poo / any other Beagle owners?

• 15-04-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there.
    I would love to meet another beagle owner's who are living in Cork. So far met just one female beagle :) Would be nice to let them play together coz I found out that many dogs are tired after a while, and Max is still wagging his tail :) anyone ? have a great day :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 niceday7

I have a 16 month old Foot Beagle who likes to roll in other dogs faeces when we're out too. Just wondering where do u live? I am from Cork and havent seen many beagles here.:/ Max has d same problem, he is a STAR but when hes off d lead hes jus miserable:( he doesnt want to come bck(he will most of d time but not ALL D TIME) , he starts pull on a lead, he rolls in sH*t, and jumping like crazy.. Did u find any solution yet? Maybe you can help us too ..thanks...have a nice day Julia & Max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

niceday7 I've merged your two posts as one of them was on an old thread, also they're somewhat relevant to each other so hopefully posters can post any helpful tips and also anyone with a Beagle in Cork may contact you also. :)

star-pants wrote: »
    niceday7 I've merged your two posts as one of them was on an old thread, also they're somewhat relevant to each other so hopefully posters can post any helpful tips and also anyone with a Beagle in Cork may contact you also. :)

Sorry for that I just saw that one was 2006 - once again sorry for that i didint know you cant answer, coz sometimes you have d same problem - I was just trying to help, and I am a new here so not sure yet . thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

niceday7 wrote: »
    I have a 16 month old Foot Beagle who likes to roll in other dogs faeces when we're out too. Just wondering where do u live? I am from Cork and havent seen many beagles here.:/ Max has d same problem, he is a STAR but when hes off d lead hes jus miserable:( he doesnt want to come bck(he will most of d time but not ALL D TIME) , he starts pull on a lead, he rolls in sH*t, and jumping like crazy.. Did u find any solution yet? Maybe you can help us too ..thanks...have a nice day Julia & Max

Heya,

Unfortunately there is no "real" way to stop this, dogs will roll in all sorts of smelly stuff, including dead rats and birds, and especially fox poo.

It is an instinct, not habit, only thing you can do is get to them as quick as possible, and correct them, and hope they obey next time.

The reason behind it is, it masks their own scent, it is a predatory instinct so their prey doesnt smell them.

Its like chanel 5 to them.

Its like chanel 5 to them.

:D:D:D

Thank you for respond anyway :) I know its a natural habit, I was just wondering if someone didnt use some method for removing this habit. I dont mind that much coz i understand d nature thing but my car and people walking next to me arent really ok with my "smelly pet" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

One of my dogs (cocker) does the same aswell. I couldn't find a permanent solution either no matter how much I watched her every step.

My dogs are normally on lead when we go walking. Now & again in a safe area I'll let them off. I did find a temporary solution: a dog coat! So rain or shine if she is off lead she ears a coat. I am getting better at catching her when she is about to 'roll' i.e. I shout her name & she stops. But the odd time I miss, the coat catches the worst of it & I just throw it in the washing machine when I get home.

A coat might not suit all dogs but mine are used to wearing coats.

paultf

:)) that's a brilliant idea :) the only thing is that Max HATE anything on him, he was getting used to on a collar for a loooong time, I have tried to put him a t-shirt once but all he did- was turning around in a circles and trying to catch it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joeuserid

Hey there,

I also have a full of energy Beagle, he is two years old now and loves to be involved all the time. He is still in the poo rolling stage and all I do is try to catch in in the act and correct him in the hope he will eventually learn. I have found everything takes longer to "Teach" to a Beagle.
    I walk him every day in the regional park Ballincollig and usually we meet another high energy dog for him to run around with. If you ever want to walk at the same time let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Defor_Dog

Hey

I have a beagle also (looks very like the one on the pedigree advert below). She is approx 2yr old, cant be sure as we rescued her when she was approx 9month old. She rolls in poo, occasionally eats it too:mad:. its a scent masking thing as stated above. Mine also eats grass too, nothing to do with dodgy stomach or anything she just loves it, my back garden is like an all you can eat buffet to her as she grazes!!!
    Must learn how to post up pics and put her on the 'pics of your pet' thread.

EDIT:
    just as i posted this the advert below changed to dairygold butter..... i swear there was a beagle when i started!! Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69758093&postcount=11

Beagles are renowned for it, mine is now 2 & a half and thankfully the whole poo eating thing has stopped a long time ago but he's a bugger to walk because he's not getting out enough, so when he does he just wants to run & run and my knees can't cope!

• Advertisement
Advertisement