Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scammers at m1 roundabout

Options
  • 15-04-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

i thought this was intresting.
    i was leaving dindalk via the castleblayney road on thusday last about 15.00.when i got to the roundabout just before the motorway a man was standing in the middle of the road holding a map.as i presumed he was looking for directions i stopped he proceeded to ask me did i speak french ? i told him a little and the jist of the conversation was he was looking for money for petrol as he had run out and would pay me back etc etc . i made my excuses and took off.
    on the opposite side of the road his mate was waiting in a 96 skoda fabia (dark blue) with a big grin.
    i never thought more about it till i got home from work and was telling mrs bling the story when she told me she had the exact same experience at the woodies roundabout in drogheda at lunch time that day !!
    Ther were loadsa cars around at the time so just wondering did anyone else come across the 2 dudes?
    i think the map might have been a cover if the guards came along "im looking for newry etc "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

I read another post on boards recently reporting the same thing happening in kilcock. Must be getting more common.

(off topic, when I write kilcock on my phone, it suggests I am trying to write moldova. Ha!)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

not a great scam really is it!

can i have a lend of money

no

ok

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It's an old one I was parked up at the petrol station in Slane a few years ago when something similar happened. A lad who could barely speak any language tried to say he needed money for petrol, then tried to say his truck was broken down and would I give him a lift (suspect he would have tried to get money out of me to make him get out of the car had I let him in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

Rossin wrote: »
    not a great scam really is it!

can i have a lend of money

no

ok

Or more simply:

Vous-parlez le Francais?

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Archeron wrote: »
    I read another post on boards recently reporting the same thing happening in kilcock. Must be getting more common.

Here you go OP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

blingrhino wrote: »
    i thought this was intresting.
    i was leaving dindalk via the castleblayney road on thusday last about 15.00.when i got to the roundabout just before the motorway a man was standing in the middle of the road holding a map.as i presumed he was looking for directions i stopped he proceeded to ask me did i speak french ? i told him a little and the jist of the conversation was he was looking for money for petrol as he had run out and would pay me back etc etc . i made my excuses and took off.
    on the opposite side of the road his mate was waiting in a 96 skoda fabia (dark blue) with a big grin.
    i never thought more about it till i got home from work and was telling mrs bling the story when she told me she had the exact same experience at the woodies roundabout in drogheda at lunch time that day !!
    Ther were loadsa cars around at the time so just wondering did anyone else come across the 2 dudes?
    i think the map might have been a cover if the guards came along "im looking for newry etc "

Same happened me 2 weeks ago on the M1 slip at City North, they had map and were in aBlack 01 Mondeo. Same bull about only speaking French and ran out of petrol. His grasp of French was useless, my GF started to speak French and he started to speak English.

I rang Laytown Garda about them, don't know what happened.

Advertisement