Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do yo set up a home radio station?

• 15-04-2012 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

What equipment do you need and how much does it cost?

What are the implications of being caught?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You are on a hiding to nothing if you ask me.

Essentials include a transmitter, ariels, masting and harnessing for the ariels and associated wires and cables. Include in a mixer, mics, CD players and PC in your studio along with audio processing and you will need a €2k outlay to start off. You might have some of this on hand which will save you cash. After this, you need a fair bit of savvy to hook it all up and get working; this is very tricky with transmitters and not for the novice to try. You will also have to find a clear frequency where you won't interfere with other broadcasts; something which is few and far between in Dublin.

The implications are being raided and prosecuted under the various broadcasting acts. These days it's when you will be caught and not if; the best case scenario as raids are quite common. At best, they will take equipment from you and you might get it back. At worst is a day in court, a fine and a criminal record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

What equipment do you need and how much does it cost?

What are the implications of being caught?

How do You... Don't go post about grammer if you make mistakes youself!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Back in the day we used to build our own transmitters, am and fm. now you can buy a low powered fm transmitter for under €100 . then you need an antenna , this is something that can easily be self built. Cable is expensisive at the moment so the longer the cable run from the rig to the aerial the more it would cost.

Thats your tx equiptment sorted all you need then is you music source and a mic. Your pc with the proper software will suffice as a music source.

There you have a very basic station on air for under €200 assuming you already own the pc. It's pretty basic but depending on your location you could reach thousands of potential listeners.

Of course you would be breaking the law and I believe comreg are quite active in closing pirates.

I'd consider going the in internet route and set up an online station if I were stating out now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

How do You... Don't go post about grammer if you make mistakes youself!!!

Well first off, nobody likes a "grammar nazi"... and your post is off topic - the OP wasn't posting about grammar... but secondly, well... don't you just love when someone posts in order to correct someone's grammar and, in doing so, makes some downright stupid fundamental errors themselves?

On spelling alone, it's "grammar", not "grammer" and "yourself" not "youself". You'd probably be better off saying "Don't go posting about..." not "Don't go post about..." too :)

Anyway, to address the original question, Losty Dublin and The Muppet have answered it comprehensively. Also, this is a bit old, but it might help: http://funferal.org/blog/2003/01/08/setting-up-a-radio-station/ - frankly, it's a bit beyond most people and, as Losty said, it's most likely a wasted effort as these days it's not so much IF but WHEN you'll be caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Bard wrote: »
    Well first off, nobody likes a "grammar nazi"... and your post is off topic - the OP wasn't posting about grammar... but secondly, well... don't you just love when someone posts in order to correct someone's grammar and, in doing so, makes some downright stupid fundamental errors themselves?

On spelling alone, it's "grammar", not "grammer" and "yourself" not "youself". You'd probably be better off saying "Don't go posting about..." not "Don't go post about..." too :)

Anyway, to address the original question, Losty Dublin and The Muppet have answered it comprehensively. Also, this is a bit old, but it might help: http://funferal.org/blog/2003/01/08/setting-up-a-radio-station/ - frankly, it's a bit beyond most people and, as Losty said, it's most likely a wasted effort as these days it's not so much IF but WHEN you'll be caught.

Wow do you not think I know that I don't live a sad existence searching boards for errors people make and tell them"grr" "it grinds my gears". It was hitler who was being the "grammar nazi" he corrected me in a thread I posted in, the posts have been deleted. First off I was just returning the favour and secondly the "downright stupid fundamental errors" are supposed to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

enough of the corrections please folks, lets keep this thread on line

If anyone has any issues that are offtopic, please report them and let the mods deal with them

Consider this a warning, leave it there

ta, as you were

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

OP is now banned so closing this thread as it has run its course

Splinty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement