Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on Music Practical

• 15-04-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭

I'm singing and playing guitar and have been doing music outside of school. So, how long do I play each song for? I heard the general is 2:30 but that seems a bit short when actually playing, no? Do I just play to until the examiner says stop?
    Here are my songs:
    -The Band-The Weight
    -Radiohead-Just
    -Steelers Wheel-Stuck In The Middle With You
    -Oasis-Supersonic
    -The Kinks- Sunny Afternoon
    -Creedence Clearwater Revival- Proud Mary

I'm weirdly not that nervous, worried I wont get a high enough mark, but not really nervous because it's not like I'll ever see the examiner again :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm singing and playing guitar and have been doing music outside of school. So, how long do I play each song for? I heard the general is 2:30 but that seems a bit short when actually playing, no? Do I just play to until the examiner says stop?
    Here are my songs:
    -The Band-The Weight
    -Radiohead-Just
    -Steelers Wheel-Stuck In The Middle With You
    -Oasis-Supersonic
    -The Kinks- Sunny Afternoon
    -Creedence Clearwater Revival- Proud Mary

I'm weirdly not that nervous, worried I wont get a high enough mark, but not really nervous because it's not like I'll ever see the examiner again :pac:
    I think the Max. you can have is 20 minutes, that's with your unprepared test and signing the role at the start etc. so I would try and cut it down to 2.30 minutes if you could manage it! I'm doing 4 Piano + Technology. Timed my shortest Piano Song today, approximately 28 seconds! :O My longest is only 2 minutes 2 seconds! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I think the Max. you can have is 20 minutes, that's with your unprepared test and signing the role at the start etc. so I would try and cut it down to 2.30 minutes if you could manage it! I'm doing 4 Piano + Technology. Timed my shortest Piano Song today, approximately 28 seconds! :O My longest is only 2 minutes 2 seconds! :P
    So I can basically sing say, one verse and one chorus of each song? Awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

So I can basically sing say, one verse and one chorus of each song? Awesome!
    I'd imagine so yes!

I'd imagine so yes!
    You've just blown my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I'd think one verse and chorus would be a little short tbh. Don't think it'd look good to be finished your practical in a quarter of the time. That's just my opinion though, as far as I know it doesnt state anywhere how long your pieces should be. Just make sure the pieces don't sound uncompleted and I'm sure it'll be fine. :)

• Advertisement

M&S* wrote: »
    I'd think one verse and chorus would be a little short tbh. Don't think it'd look good to be finished your practical in a quarter of the time. That's just my opinion though, as far as I know it doesnt state anywhere how long your pieces should be. Just make sure the pieces don't sound uncompleted and I'm sure it'll be fine. :)

Something like this I was thinking would go down well:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

25 mins for 6 im pretty sure :)

gfgfgf14 wrote: »
    25 mins for 6 im pretty sure :)
    Another question, am I allowed bring in lyric sheets and music for myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

These two documents from the sec may help :

http://www.examinations.ie/exam/Infonote2005Website.pdf

http://www.examinations.ie/exam/LC_Music_Practical_markscheme_Higher_and_Ordinary_Level.pdf

The first gives general guidelines. I would definitely prepare more than one verse/chorus and if the examiner feels the need to stop you let them. Much better to show them you know all of it than think you are unprepared. The second is the marking scheme.

Also remember that if you go to examinations.ie and look up music you will find the Unprepared tests from previous years which are definitely worth going through!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

Another question, am I allowed bring in lyric sheets and music for myself?

Yeah you are but i'm not it gets in the way for me i concentrate too much on being 100% perfect that i actually make mistakes.
    Everyone is differant though :D

• Advertisement

gfgfgf14 wrote: »
    Yeah you are but i'm not it gets in the way for me i concentrate too much on being 100% perfect that i actually make mistakes.
    Everyone is differant though :D
    Yeah I was practicing with them I screwed up more with them! Its nice to have on front of me in case though!

I'd think one verse and chorus would be a little short tbh. Don't think it'd look good to be finished your practical in a quarter of the time.hjk
    Yeah I know, I did all the full songs, twas grand!

Advertisement