Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Anyone succesfully use the House alarm in shared accom?

Options
  • 15-04-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

We have a house share with 4 Adults, There were a few local burglaries around and I have tried to get people to activate the alarm at night.

Some night someone might remember another night no, then there is a front door left open. Then side gate. Tis a tad risky
    Basically the others think its a waste of time as "there is always someone here anyway"
    Too much hassle. Do many of you guys in house shares bother with the alarm at night? Just wondering what the general consenses is. Should i ram it down their throats lol:cool: I just dont want the place getting burgaled some day. I seem to be the only one that wants to put it on at night. Im not talking about all the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Some night someone might remember another night no, then there is a front door left open.
    Sounds like moving will be the only way to secure your stuff. The alarm; not always turned on in the houses I stayed at, but the front door thing really pissed me off. At the time, I was only a student, and nothing worth stealing, but still didn't like it. Wouldn't stay in a house again whose door needed to be locked when you close the door (which sounds like what is happening to yours?).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

We have a house share with 4 Adults, There were a few local burglaries around and I have tried to get people to activate the alarm at night.

Some night someone might remember another night no, then there is a front door left open. Then side gate. Tis a tad risky
    Basically the others think its a waste of time as "there is always someone here anyway"
    Too much hassle. Do many of you guys in house shares bother with the alarm at night? Just wondering what the general consenses is. Should i ram it down their throats lol:cool: I just dont want the place getting burgaled some day. I seem to be the only one that wants to put it on at night. Im not talking about all the time.
    Took me ages to get into the habit of locking the front door when I moved to Dublin. Now I'm living in an apartment in a really safe area but I still lock my apartment door at night because I got used to doing it. If they understand the need to lock the door they will start to do it, hopefully it won't take a break in to teach them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Yes, say that house insurance will not cover losses by burglary if the alarm wasn't activated. That might make laptop owners a bit more careful.

My alarm doesn't have any internal sensors, so I just switch it on whether there are people in the house or not. If they are coming in, they have the usual minute or so to switch it off, and hopefully they'll remember to switch it back on again. If they are indoors, they'll set the alarm ringing if they open the front door without deactivating it, and they'll have to run to switch it off if they open the back door! Again, just having it on a lot tends to get everyone used to having it switched on. Upstairs windows aren't alarmed so everyone can open bedroom windows no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

You could steal all of their stuff. Hide it for a week and teach them a lesson. If they think that their stuff was robbed and how easy it would be to do it (some day when the front door has been left open all night, etc) they may be more inclined to lock the door after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

In fairness if you are living with "adults" who dont know that you should close/lock the front door then my only advice would be to move out of there and find somewhere to live with people who are mature enough to have common sense...

• Advertisement
Advertisement