Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it too late to drop a subject?

• 15-04-2012 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Just wondering, don't kill me if it's a stupid question, haha.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Do you mean drop it and not do it or drop to Ordinary Level?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No it's not, from the SEC's point of view. Your school or college may require you to attend classes still.

However, if it is a subject with more than one component and you have already submitted that component, then you will get a low grade appearing on your statement of results.

For example, say you were talking about Italian and you had already done your oral Italian, but decided then you didn't want to do the exam. The mark you got for your oral would appear on your results along with an asterisk* indicating you were missing for some part of the exam (the written).

If you were talking about Italian and had not yet sat your oral and just didn't show up for either the oral or the written paper, then Italian will not be mentioned anywhere on your statement of results.

I hope that's clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 prioriincantem

Drop it and not do it, I've already dropped down to ordinary level and come to the conclusion that French just is not for me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bavib

Just wondering, don't kill me if it's a stupid question, haha.

Hi there, how's it going? As long as you have the necessary number of subjects there is no need to sit any extra exam you may be registered for. For instance, when I was sitting my leaving, I had to sign up for an extra-curricular physics class in order to be allowed to sit L.C.V.P. I also had to register for the physics exam. I hate physics, but wanted the handy L.C.V.P. points, so I registered for physics, and never went to the exam. If its a situation like that, don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 prioriincantem

thank you very much! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Drop it and not do it, I've already dropped down to ordinary level and come to the conclusion that French just is not for me :p

OK, just don't go in for the oral or written, but be aware this decision may have a knock on in some college entry requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I don't know why you'd drop it now, you've covered the course so if you think there's any chance at all that you could pass it you might as well just do the exam.

Advertisement