Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Art Practical???

• 15-04-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey all,

So I'm a small bit paniced at the minute. I've been doing art on my own for the Leaving Cert as an extra subject. I'm now totally confused and seriously worried about the practical exam. To be blunt I have no clue what I have to do and I'm extremely nervous as it's worth 65% of the overall mark! :O :(

Please can you give me some advice and/or tips on what to do!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hugokatie

ok. there is a few parts to the art exam
    1. you can choose either design or craft. im doing craft so i dont no too much about the design.. if your doin it outside school you proberly would have much expeirence in clay or batique ect so ur best option is to do a poster, which is fairly doable
    2.still life drawing- in the exam brief you get before your exam youl have a few passage to read from and u choose a word or phrase n base it on the. for my mock i did ''baking in the oven'' i drew flour eggs a baking book a whisk ect. ur onli way to prepare for that is to go thru old exam papers and jst arragne objects to suit a workd or phrase n get practiceing.
    AND FINALLY.3. the life drawings. here you must draw a standing pose in YOU MUST COMPLET IN 15 minutes and then u have a further 15minutes to shade ect, after that u have another drawing u can do a portait of draw the person siting down... if u luk at the breakdown of the marks in the marking schemes u can see its very easy to gain marks as it is broke up in to many sections.. if u can get you proportionright and work from there proportion and shading is most vital!! good luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 PTheArtist

1. Craftwork. You have to pick one of the following:
    -Clay
    -Batik
    -Puppetry
    -Poster
    -Lino Print
    (There is more, I just can't think of all of them at the top of my head right now!)
    You are given three themes on each of the above, and you have to choose one. You will need to make a research sheet filled with ideas for that particular theme (e.g Magician's Convention - fill the research page with magic) and you will need to make a plan of your final idea when you are doing the 5 hour session. Obviously, pick the one you are best at.

2. Imaginative Composition and Still Life - Here you choose to do either a Imaginative Composition, or Abstract Composition, or a Still Life. You are 4 short passages to read and you will have to base your Still Life, Abstract or Imaginative Composition on anything that is within that passage (e.g basing you Still Life on a sentence that mentions fruit or vegetables from a kitchen)

3. Life Sketching -

First Pose - A model is given a standing pose to do and you must draw that model for no longer than 15 minutes. The vital part to this sketch is proportion - make sure the arms are in proportion to the torso, make sure the feet aren't too small/big compared to his/her legs. The gain as much marks as you can, make sure the whole body of the model is on the page. Make sure their feet dont run off the bottom of the page, or that their head is cut of by the top of the page. Make the sketch nice and big, but aslo make sure it fits the page nicely. Try and put in quick shading if you can, and mark the horizon.

Second Pose - The model is giving a sitting pose and you must draw that person for no longer than 30 minutes. The minimum that is needed to be drawn is the head and shoulders, but you will increase your chances for high marks if you include as much as you can. I draw pretty much the full body, but head to knees should be good. Shading needs to be put in to give the figure more volume. Try and focus on a particular part of the figure also. I usually focus on the face (eyes, nose, ears, mouth) and put more detailing on the figures face. It's always good to put in quick background details, such as a door or tables and chairs, but don't focus too much on them since the main object is the model.

Like hugokatie said, Life Drawing is basically looking to see if you can get proportions right and if you can do good shading.

Hope that helps! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11 katierab

Thanks a million... I feel more relaxed now. Was stressing out earlier. :) The whole reason I did art was because the marks are handy! :) Ye really helped me! Thank you again!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

katierab wrote: »
    Thanks a million... I feel more relaxed now. Was stressing out earlier. :) The whole reason I did art was because the marks are handy! :) Ye really helped me! Thank you again!! :)

handy marks? you having a laugh? it takes loads of work and is actually hard to achieve good marks in it, its one of the exams im most worried about and im decent enough at art like

panicking for poster waaaaah

• Registered Users Posts: 3 niallrrk

Anyone any ides for the modelling in the craftwork?
    i.e (a) sculpture to be placed at skateboard park
    (b) The Optimist
    (c) wall panel-Blowing in the Wind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭steve2012

niallrrk wrote: »
    Anyone any ides for the modelling in the craftwork?
    i.e (a) sculpture to be placed at skateboard park
    (b) The Optimist
    (c) wall panel-Blowing in the Wind

im gonna do the wall panel blowing in the wind as theres alot you can base it on.
    i would have done the model for a skateboard park but being honest you can only do a dude on a skateboard or something. then the optimist one is basicly a model of a person being optimistic. there terrible topics if you ask me

ekk science not good, i mnot good at drawing anyting sciency not good need help and im ment to have my prep done for tomrow, i can do that but at te end of the day iv actualy no idea what to do for a final poster
    ;( any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lausie93

Im doing puppetry instead of a poster for mine. Did a puppet for the mocks and it is just suuuch less stress and pressure altogether! Got 84% in the mocks overall with 90%'s in all the practical parts of it.(When you're good you're good! jk) You can basically make the whole puppet before the exam (have the whole head and hands made and painted white. Costume sewed, not on puppet.) and then just literally attach all the joints using rubber bands and paint the head and put on the clothes (which you can have already made, just not on the puppet before the exam.) I would advise anyone with an imagination to do puppetry!

In my personal experience i loved it, if i was running out of time sewing the costume together, i could just glue it! No worrying about composition or colour scheme or different fonts of lettering or making a mistake on the real poster on the day which i wouldn't have time to fix. Just sitting there sewing and painting its face, almost relaxing! The themes this year are: "An insect" "A Jockey" and "Mutton dressed as lamb" Guess which one i'm doing :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Can someone please explain the preliminary sheet for the design? I understand the preparatory(and think its really stupid we don't get marks for that, but whatever), but I keep reading the prelim over again and it doesn't make sense? We go into the explain, practice drawing what we will draw on an A2 sheet, then do the real design on a new A2 sheet? Is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

You can bring a a2 sheet of pre collected/printed images into exam, (no marks for this)
    The preliminary sheet is done during the exam and should contain;

a) your written interpretation of the title
    b) brainstorming written and visual on your title
    c) a visual exploration/planning and written reasoning of ideas depending on
    the type of craft/design you have chosen, ie, poster= lettering colour subject/image composition/spacing.
    3D model= tonal/form drawing dimensions height width etc, materials to use references to weight balance structure.
    d) Final design.
    This can be practised before the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

Could you obtain high marks on the poster if your idea is real simple but effective? Like literally I could easily do this poster in 2 hours but it looks good and is relative to the title? It's just a plain black silhouette with a painted sunset background? I do H.L and would consider myself to be good at art

• Registered Users Posts: 24 orangesoranges

hey does anyone know the difference between the prepatory sheet and the development sheet? really need help!! im doing a lino print!!

Push yourself on your lettering. They expect a variety of suitable styles and sizes. Your ideas for the simple idea will be shown on the prelim page you can state on it that you wanted to use that idea but thought it too simple for the exam at higher level.

flerg wrote: »
    Push yourself on your lettering. They expect a variety of suitable styles and sizes. Your ideas for the simple idea will be shown on the prelim page you can state on it that you wanted to use that idea but thought it too simple for the exam at higher level.

Can you not just use the same lettering for the whole design? I'm doing the cafe logo and it would be odd if I had different styles? Also my teacher is insisting that simple is better(for the logo anyway).

What's everyone putting on their preparatory? Like drawings, printed pictures.. Etc? Do they actually care what it looks like btw?

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Can you not just use the same lettering for the whole design? I'm doing the cafe logo and it would be odd if I had different styles? Also my teacher is insisting that simple is better(for the logo anyway).

What's everyone putting on their preparatory? Like drawings, printed pictures.. Etc? Do they actually care what it looks like btw?

sorry im looking for the same answer, but as far as i no you get no marks for it but it is considererd n i tink it does contribute to ur mark some bit even tho u gt no marks if that nmakes sence... is it alryt if ur prep sheet isnt reli neat as in that theres drawrigs over lapping

My original answer was in reply to the poster question. If you are designing a logo then one style is fine. And, your teacher is right simple is best!:)

Drawings written notes and printed pics all good for research sheet and yes they do care btw as your selection of research is part of the creative process and affects the final design.;).

The research sheet (1st one) doesn't have to be too neat but your preliminary sheet needs to show the development of you ideas so you might want to use arrows or numbers to direct the examiner as to the order of you ideas :)

hugokatie wrote: »
    sorry im looking for the same answer, but as far as i no you get no marks for it but it is considererd n i tink it does contribute to ur mark some bit even tho u gt no marks if that nmakes sence... is it alryt if ur prep sheet isnt reli neat as in that theres drawrigs over lapping

flerg wrote: »
    The research sheet (1st one) doesn't have to be too neat but your preliminary sheet needs to show the development of you ideas so you might want to use arrows or numbers to direct the examiner as to the order of you ideas :)

I was told the prelim. sheet was basically a rough sketch of what you will be drawing on your final sheet? and that we should only spend like 10/15 minutes on it? :confused:

http://www.examinations.ie/exam/2012_Art_Craftwork_Higher_Level.pdf

No it isn't a copy of the final design. The paper states the requirements for ist and 2nd sheets.

I was told the prelim. sheet was basically a rough sketch of what you will be drawing on your final sheet? and that we should only spend like 10/15 minutes on it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 robynne313

Lausie93 wrote: »
    Im doing puppetry instead of a poster for mine. Did a puppet for the mocks and it is just suuuch less stress and pressure altogether! Got 84% in the mocks overall with 90%'s in all the practical parts of it.(When you're good you're good! jk) You can basically make the whole puppet before the exam (have the whole head and hands made and painted white. Costume sewed, not on puppet.) and then just literally attach all the joints using rubber bands and paint the head and put on the clothes (which you can have already made, just not on the puppet before the exam.) I would advise anyone with an imagination to do puppetry!

In my personal experience i loved it, if i was running out of time sewing the costume together, i could just glue it! No worrying about composition or colour scheme or different fonts of lettering or making a mistake on the real poster on the day which i wouldn't have time to fix. Just sitting there sewing and painting its face, almost relaxing! The themes this year are: "An insect" "A Jockey" and "Mutton dressed as lamb" Guess which one i'm doing :P

i had mine yesterday and done puppetry too :) what did you make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 aislingkeav

I'm a leaving cert art student and my 'mock' exam is in 2 weeks. I'm beginning to get really nervous! If anyone has any advice on whether to do the Imaginary or Still life it would be great! or any advice on how to pull marks on puppetry? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jeanno94

im doing puppetry but really worried about putting the outfit together in the exam, my teacher has implied that i basically have to start from scratch in there but going by other students in other schools thats not the case! how much can i get away with before the exam?? and also what would you reccomend i put on the preliminary sheet? stressing out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Did my still life mock today! Got a B1 in it good start to the rest of the exam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

jeanno94 wrote: »
    im doing puppetry but really worried about putting the outfit together in the exam, my teacher has implied that i basically have to start from scratch in there but going by other students in other schools thats not the case! how much can i get away with before the exam?? and also what would you reccomend i put on the preliminary sheet? stressing out!
    I'm pretty sure you can make the puppet structure before the exam and have it ready, it's just the clothes to be made and putting them on, in the exam.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I can't really remember. Butttt, I'm sure that's what my class did, I didn't take the puppet choice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Hey!

Is carftwork harder to get marks in then the design option in regards to the poster option? Advice on this would great.
    Really want a B3/B2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hooper123

The Practical Exams Like Junior Cert. Art & Leaving Cert. Art Need To Be Time Managed.
    Nobody should attempt to sit these exams without knowing the Marking Scheme, and the full requirements as set down by the Department of Education. In my opinion some students make these exams harder for themselves by going at them the wrong way.

I am running an Intensive Summer School in Brighton Square Rathgar for both Junior Cert. Art and Leaving Cert. Art students in preparation for 2014 State Exams. At the end of these classes students will be informed fully on what is necessary for the successful completion of the different aspects of Junior & Leaving Certificate Art. Contact me if you wish to know more.
    http://www.swanacademyoffineart.com/leavingcertart.html
    leavingcertart.html

Advertisement