Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public or Semi Private in Coombe?

Options
  • 15-04-2012 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Just wondering what are the main differences and how much is covered by health insurance? I have Level 1 Hospital with Aviva which I think is same as Plan B with VHI!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

http://www.coombe.ie/index.php?nodeId=83&PHPSESSID=43d708df37b070b96ef41a57713dfc8d

coombe.ie/index.php?nodeId=89&PHPSESSID=43d708df37b070b96ef41a57713dfc8d

I choose public as care is the same in both and as far as I researched last year with vhi I would have to cover 1500 e. And the only difference I see is that you will be in a room with 4 other people rather then 5 in public ward. You may be looked after by a doctor but they can't promise and if its straight forward pregnancy you will be looked after by a midwife.

Good luck with your pregnancy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I went public on number 2 with consultant led care in the Coombe 2 years ago. Fantastic care, mini scan every appointment with same consultant most times (twice i had someone different) and i was in a public ward that only had 4 beds (tge rest have 6 beds).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Why would someone pay for semi private accommodation which has 1 less bed than public accommodation?

I went public in the Coombe, consultant led care, 3 scans (11, 21 and 38 wks) and a mini scan every visit. Waiting times were no more than 90 mins but usually 30-45. I could recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary1978

hi
    i am also very happy with the public system so far. (although i havent had the baby yet!). i am doing the midwife clinics and i have always been in/out within the hour. my friend is going private and spends ages at every appt waiting to see the consultant as they often get called away to deliver a baby etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

I'm also public in the Coombe and have to say it has been fantastic so far. Was only queuing for ages in the hospital once, and have since been changed over to the DOMINO scheme or midwives clinic and like another poster mentioned its been brilliant, absolutely no hassle with waiting times etc, I was in and out in no time! The standard of care is excellent, I couldn't fault them.
    So glad I decided to go public, we had looked into semi-private but you still had to pay upwards of a grand even with private health insurance. The whole not seeing the same person at each visit doesnt particularly bother me, but everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 genies_wishes

I hated the ante natal in the coombe public care, felt like a cattle market, but I got to go to my local clinic for most check ups. The care during birth and staying afterwards was just brilliant - my consultant was amazing and the food is yum lol

Advertisement