Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Dec 2012....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Piper101 wrote: »
    Emmm... Didn't expect this! Anyone else's nipples leaking?

Mine did that randomly like a month ago! It was so weird, and it hasnt really happened since then. I did buy some maternity breast pads from Tesco and found them great- I started wearing them here and there when my breasts have been sore because it makes me feel like that it when they might leak!

haha as you can tell I'm catching up- lots of activity on the thread yesterday- sorry to post so many times in a row!

Thanks for all the support girls. I am usually so level headed and my emotions running to high and low really gets to me as I'm not used to it at all. Leaving my family behind was tough for me when I moved to Ireland and having a baby makes it that much tougher. My dad is from Argentina and so growing up there was a whole side of the family I never got to know (my grandparents, aunt cousins ect) and so I think that makes me acutely aware that my family is so far away and that no matter where OH and I live we will always be far away from someone's family and always be missing someone and so will baby. Thankfully my OH is great support but its hard sometimes to feel alone and as great as his family is, its not quite the same!
    I'm feeling better about not being able to go on a babymoon with the OH as well- baby is top priority now and it will all pay off after he is born- we all have a lot to look forward to in the next couple of months!
    I hope everyone else starts feeling better as well- I do agree i think we have all hit the "slump" in our pregnancies or as we would say in the states...the seventh inning stretch haha!

Has anyone else been to any antenatal classes yet? I went to my first one last week and wasn't overjoyed about it! The next class is meant to be for breastfeeding and I'm not sure about going. I'm not planning on breastfeeding and after the last class I walked away feeling like if I wasn't going to breasfeed I was going to be a horrible mammy and my poor baby would suffer right from the get go...:( anyone else get that vibe from the maternity?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Don't let them bully you into breast feeding!!! I hear that a lot....I plan on trying but if it doesn't work out then I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

I can't begin to imagine how hard it is bring so far away from family rachineire...I had a week with absolutely no one around and I was so lonely. My oh is overseas since may and won't be back until November, horrible to admit it but I'm looking forward more to seeing him than baby at the minute.

I'm stuck in a two bed apartment and we mulled over moving to a bigger place before baby is born but have decided that financially it's less stressful to stay where we are for the time being. I agree tho that its better moving when pregnant than trying to move with a small baby!

Edit! To be honest haven't even looked into antenatal classes, really not pushed but prob should do a day one at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭irishrose1981

Piper101 wrote: »
    Emmm... Didn't expect this! Anyone else's nipples leaking?

oh yeah piper thats been happen to me for the last three or four months,im 31 weeks this week,and thanks girls yeah im much better now thanks for all the get well messages.just have to have to go to the doc in the morning to make sure all is well with me,baby is fine kicking like mad so im great there and baby is fine,it was me that was sick nuthing to do with the baby at all.

Rachineire wrote: »
    haha as you can tell I'm catching up- lots of activity on the thread yesterday- sorry to post so many times in a row!

Thanks for all the support girls. I am usually so level headed and my emotions running to high and low really gets to me as I'm not used to it at all. Leaving my family behind was tough for me when I moved to Ireland and having a baby makes it that much tougher. My dad is from Argentina and so growing up there was a whole side of the family I never got to know (my grandparents, aunt cousins ect) and so I think that makes me acutely aware that my family is so far away and that no matter where OH and I live we will always be far away from someone's family and always be missing someone and so will baby. Thankfully my OH is great support but its hard sometimes to feel alone and as great as his family is, its not quite the same!
    I'm feeling better about not being able to go on a babymoon with the OH as well- baby is top priority now and it will all pay off after he is born- we all have a lot to look forward to in the next couple of months!
    I hope everyone else starts feeling better as well- I do agree i think we have all hit the "slump" in our pregnancies or as we would say in the states...the seventh inning stretch haha!

Has anyone else been to any antenatal classes yet? I went to my first one last week and wasn't overjoyed about it! The next class is meant to be for breastfeeding and I'm not sure about going. I'm not planning on breastfeeding and after the last class I walked away feeling like if I wasn't going to breasfeed I was going to be a horrible mammy and my poor baby would suffer right from the get go...:( anyone else get that vibe from the maternity?

dont mind them trying to get you to breastfeeding your baby,i never did on my daughter and she is fine but this time round there trying to push me to do it but im not going to its up to me not them.dont let them push you around on the breastfeeding.

• Advertisement

Thanks Ladies,

I felt pretty pressured after the last antenatal class- the midwife was very matter of fact saying that your child will be best off on breast and that its the only thing that gets thier heart rate up after the birth and regulates them the best. I was nearly in tears talking to my OH about it! I don't know if i will BF or not but I'm not planning on it. I was formula fed and I turned out just fine and I know plenty of people who formula fed thier kids and they were fine as well! I have nothing against BFing and commend any mother that does it, its just not something that appeals to me in the slightest! The other thing that worried me was the mid-wife was saying that they wont show you how to make formula at all until after you have the baby and are in the post-delivery ward (i.e. won't show you in the classes) because they want to encourage you to breastfeed and also that if you are formula feeding that baby won't be fed until you get to the post-delivery ward. But that breast fed babies get fed in the first hour after birth! Thats what really got to me- worried me that they will make my baby go hungry straight from the womb because I don't want to BF! I'm thinking i should just put a little box of pre-made formula in my delivery bag with a bottle?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is no question about it breast feeding is best for baby but it is every mothers individual choice whether they do or not and for what ever reason some can not and for some it does not work out.
    My 1st child was combined fed from Day 3 because she lost too much weight.
    The stress of breast feeding I found is incredible even when you do want to do it so just ignore them.
    Breast fed babies are fed as soon as they are born,I have no idea about bottle fed ones but I would imagine you would be put in a ward etc 1st,I wouldn't worry too much about this either because bottle fed babies normally feed less often.
    In the hospital they just gave us ready made bottles,I doubt they actually make up formula bottles there and will just give you the ready made ones.It would be very hard for them to make up bottles from scratch and meet HSE guidelines in a hospital situation with so many women and babies.

I would go to the ante natal classes though so you can be informed about different aspects of the birth though.
    I didn't find them great either but I was glad I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Don't succumb to the breastfeeding pressure, like its all not hard enough without that extra pressure! There's plenty of babies that were not breastfed and turned out perfectly fine.

Has anyone been told anything about the flu vaccine, I would not normally get one but arent we meant to?

Sounds like we have all been put through the ringer a bit, the 3rd trimester curse! At least we can all vent here and see we're not crazy in our symptoms, thank god for the boards.ie gang!! :o

Thanks Ladies,

I felt pretty pressured after the last antenatal class- the midwife was very matter of fact saying that your child will be best off on breast and that its the only thing that gets thier heart rate up after the birth and regulates them the best. I was nearly in tears talking to my OH about it! I don't know if i will BF or not but I'm not planning on it. I was formula fed and I turned out just fine and I know plenty of people who formula fed thier kids and they were fine as well! I have nothing against BFing and commend any mother that does it, its just not something that appeals to me in the slightest! The other thing that worried me was the mid-wife was saying that they wont show you how to make formula at all until after you have the baby and are in the post-delivery ward (i.e. won't show you in the classes) because they want to encourage you to breastfeed and also that if you are formula feeding that baby won't be fed until you get to the post-delivery ward. But that breast fed babies get fed in the first hour after birth! Thats what really got to me- worried me that they will make my baby go hungry straight from the womb because I don't want to BF! I'm thinking i should just put a little box of pre-made formula in my delivery bag with a bottle?

there trying to scare you dont mind them,my 5 year old daughter was feed by bottle right after birth my hubbie feed her and both hubbie and daughter met me in the ward 5 or 10 mins later.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Same here my four year old was put straight on my chest for skin to skin contact, i thought was brilliant, then the nurse dressed her and two nurses tried her with a bottle and she wouldnt take, then my hubster tried her n she took it (to this day hes still chuffed bout that) and he had zilch zero natta by way of baby experiance,

Btw i was in the shower when they were feeding her ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

breast fed babies get fed in the first hour after birth! Thats what really got to me- worried me that they will make my baby go hungry straight from the womb because I don't want to BF! I'm thinking i should just put a little box of pre-made formula in my delivery bag with a bottle?

Dont worry Rachineire, i am a student nurse and i am hoping to go right into midwifery after my general training and not feeding the babies that are bottle fed until they get to the post natal ward has nothing to do with punishing the mother or baby for not breastfeeding.

Its just that breastfeeding is very complex, babies have to learn how to latch on to the nipple and suckle which is ALOT harder for them than learning how to suck on a bottle. To be honest, none of the babies are hungry coming out of the womb, they are usually just very very tired. Its a tough time for them too, studies have just proven that the sooner you get the baby on the boob the more likely it is that breastfeeding will be sucessful.
    You wont need to bring a bottle and formula into the delivery suite. You will be back in post natal within an hour- hour and a half after babs is born and he/she mightnt even be interested in taking a bottle then off you, baby will prob just want to sleep.

And i totally agree with what others have already posted, dont let them pressure you in to breastfeeding. Some midwives can be very pushy but they have to promote it with the whole breastfeeding iniative campaign etc. The majority of women dont breastfeed so dont stress if its not for you, its honestly not a big deal. Hope this helps.

Thanks Princessa thats really good information to know- really puts my mind at ease! Thanks to everyone- Its hard not to feel that pressure or feel like your doing wrong!

Has anyone else had trouble sleeping? 3rd night in a row of terrible sleep! I'm awake more than asleep- between baby kicking me awake, a cold, waking up to pee and waking up to turn over I'm waking up 15- 20 times in the 5 or 6 hours that i'm down! I got up and admitted defeat around 5:30 this morning! I just took a little nap before work but whew! Hoping I sleep a little better tonight! :rolleyes:

yeah rachineire that will happen all it is is your body getting ready for when you have the baby and it comes to feeding time thats all.it can be a pain when your not all the best,but it will pass in the next few weeks.

well girls was at the doc there yesterday after me not been well there the weekend,im getting better,the doc took a look to make sure baby was ok to which baby is heartbeat is strong and looks like babys head mite be down so looks like things are going well.baby is kicking all my right side in and pushing all on the right side too.

Rachineire i am the same, between turning, being uncomfortable, getting a big kick, peeing... peeing... peeing again i am awake more than i am asleep, i tend to get comfortable after 5am and in runs the little madam a few hours later. :rolleyes:

Irishrose1981 glad everything was good at your appointment, i get kicks to my left hand side :D.

Having a misreable ole day ladies, got really bad news and im just so emotional and stressed. Normally i can form a plan of action and say ok this this this and make lists and organise the lists into sub lists and prioritise what to do first then, plan b-z and all the possible scenarios.

Just cant today, i feel so sorry for myself, just crying and down in the dumps all day.
    Just literally wanted to sit in and cry all day, which you cant do with a three year old. Im going to have a shower in a few mins, get in clean jammies, get a blanket and have another good ole cry for myself and snap myself out of it tomorrow.
    Was on the phone to my Mum and got the usual : Dont cry - it will all be ok, dont stress yourself and the baby out and its not nice for my daughter to see me upset. I know all of that but im just uuuuuh :(:(:(. Thanks for letting me rant on. Sorry for those who have to read it.x

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

Aw Princessa I hope you're ok. Iv had those days too. A big cry might help a bit. Mind yourself!

Tigerton wrote: »
    Aw Princessa I hope you're ok. Iv had those days too. A big cry might help a bit. Mind yourself!

Thanks so much Tigerton. Yeah im waiting till the little one is in a deep enough sleep for me to go up and have a shower might make me feel a bit better. Def think i need to feel sorry for myself - eat something junk like too maybe ;).

hubbie nearly got me to the hospital there earlyer on,baby hurt me big time as i was heading to the loo and i couldnt move and went down on my knees,hubbie helpd me up and holding me as i couldnt move and was crying in his arms,was sick and never made it to the loo told him im fine and was to rest hubbie orderd me to and told me if it happends again when he is in work i was ring right away told him i would.im just resting now baby is kicking me like mad all day the kicks are very hard at times and can hurt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am getting clumsier by the day:(
    I am bruising easier too,I can compete with my 3 year old comparing bruises!!
    I dunno how I am even managing to injure myself in perfectly safe situations!!
    On the bright side I got a chocolate danish for my breakfast to eat after the huge bowl of cereal and tea. I am turning in to a piggy!!!
    Being able to eat in pregnancy is a bit of a novelty for me though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

So update on house move: After all the indecision we decided on the Sunday (24 hrs after viewing)we would go for it, texted the landlord to find it was already let!!! I guess if it was ment to be we would have got it, I'm a great believer in destiny, it helps with life's little dissapointments! ! So we are staying put for now, It has helped me see that I actually do want to move so if something fab comes up in the next week or so we will go for it. Otherwise we will wait till after babs arrives.
    Hope all are well. No issues to report here just getting bigger by the day. Started preg yoga a few weeks ago its fantastic and have been listening to hypno birth CDs so getting the mind and body ready for what awaits me!! Also been attending ante natal classes which I find really good. I finally know what a sweep is! There was no talk of bf yet but I know it's gov policy to promote it, Irish numbers are very low compared to rest of eu. I'm going to try but won't beat myself up if it is too hard. But I love the idea of it, and the bonding that occurs.

Scrgirl, i am a big believer in everything happens for a reason too even if its tough and you dont really know the reason why at them time. It does help. We have decided to stay put too, we will reassess things after baby is here, maybe not right away but we will see.

Moonbeam i am the same i seem to have no balance what so ever, i can trip over nothing or stumble at any time.

Irishrose1981 - mind yourself. Keep and eye on those kicks, ive have uncomfortable ones but non that have cause me to be in tears so keep an eye on them incase something else going on in there.

• Advertisement

thanks princessa,hubbie and daughter and my sister is keeping an eye on me,all is well as can be besides the baby kicking the life out of my tummie.il be resting all weekend and be off to bed soon.

Enjoy the extra attension Irishrose1981. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I am getting clumsier by the day:(
    I am bruising easier too,I can compete with my 3 year old comparing bruises!!
    I dunno how I am even managing to injure myself in perfectly safe situations!!
    On the bright side I got a chocolate danish for my breakfast to eat after the huge bowl of cereal and tea. I am turning in to a piggy!!!
    Being able to eat in pregnancy is a bit of a novelty for me though:)

I hear ya, im so clumsy what is that, i stabbed my self in the face with my car key, i keep hitting things with my hand, and kicking things, and tripping, i got stuck in a pair of jeans with one leg in the air, i keep telling my four year old to eat her home work, i asked my husband the other day was his dinner like falling off a bus,

Hubster and my little one think its hillario but i was the same on my first so i know its temporary lol i hope should i say ;)

Oh JENI that gave me such a laugh. You def have a case of the baby brain. :D

Got a letter this morning to say a new physio therapist is taking over my case so i am to report back for more physio next week :(.

I have my 29 week apt in 10days, i was thinking of mentioning at that apt that i would like to be induced at about 37/38 weeks if its possible. The physio mentioned to me that once baby is out they can start intensive therapy to get me back to normal, and she asked me if id asked to be induced yet at around 37 weeks as ive been on crutches since 17 week gestation. What do you think should i bring it up now or wait till the 34 week apt? I was thinking of asking my GP to write a little letter out too to ask to be induced early so i can regain some sort of normality again. What ye think ladies? Whats the best way to go about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

Worst night ever. :'(

Legs on fire all night, Back killin me and in rotten all round form!
    Poor husband and kids almost terrified to look at me.

2+ months of leg pain and no sleep to go. BOO HOO HOO

mel1 wrote: »
    Worst night ever. :'(

Legs on fire all night, Back killin me and in rotten all round form!
    Poor husband and kids almost terrified to look at me.

2+ months of leg pain and no sleep to go. BOO HOO HOO
    Aw Mel I'm so sorry I can empathize with you! It's tough enough being pregnant but the lack of sleep is killer!! I finally got two nights of somewhat decent sleep after a week of no sleep! I feel like a new person after only getting so-so rest!
    I've had a terrible cold for a week now, got antibiotics from the doc but they havnt done much! I have a cough now and hate coughing cause it really disturbs the baby a lot!
    Also have been having lots of strange dreams- had two separate dreams last night that my OH died! Gah!
    On a good point though we are having our 31 week scan today, can't wait to see baby and what way he is laying and how big he has gotten!
    Does anyone know if mothercare does car seat fittings? No clue how to use this thing, I need to buy a stuffed animal to practice on Lol!!

lol, no idea but Halfords do:)

Is it isofix or belted?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Mel1, I'm the same. Have pretty much sailed through the last few weeks but today is killing me, started bawling in my mums house, terrified I was coming down with something. Baby hasn't stopped moving all day either which is great but Jaysus it's taking a lot out of me....so so tired and just feel hopeless and like giving up!

Im sorry to see you are feeling like this ladies but its honestly o nice to know that im not alone. I had a terrible day yesterday, pelvis was killign me, lower back pain, exhaustion... I actually got some sleep last night only a little bit of twisting and turning and the OH was off today so i had help with the little madam so i am not too bad now. Still a bit shattered so i think i will try get an early night again. Fingers crossed for another nights sleep.

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    lol, no idea but Halfords do:)

Is it isofix or belted?
    It's an easyfix base, so I'm guessing belted?

I find the mothercare on cruises st. In limerick useless. The staff could care less in there and ignore you as much as possible, but the ones out at the crescent seem to be.great. I know where I will be doing business if I need to!

Seems like the third trimester has been hard on us all! I'm sorry your feeling poorly too piper and princesa. We are in the home stretch now! Saw my little guy today, he was down super low- no wonder walking has been so uncomfortable! Everything looks bang on though! Measuring at 3lb 9oz so not too big and not too small!!

Oh yeah before I forget, I had a friend in the states who had a baby over the weekend. She had her baby right on his due date, she didn't have GD and she and her OH are fairly average sized ( I think he might be just under 6ft tall, she's maybe 5'8 tall) and her baby was 23 inches long and 11 lbs 8oz....!!!! I couldnt believe it!! The baby was enormous- looked like a toddler! I knew her bump was big but I don't think anyone was expecting him to be such a big boy!

Advertisement