Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Dec 2012....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

scrgirl wrote: »
    In my case there could be no confusion!! You can see my bump before me!

Lol, well still maybe its always better to error on the side of caution!

My husband was 14 pound one ounce ~(yes quite unbelievable) when he was born. Nedless to say he was a section baby, and when his mammy was leaving the hospital, (she was and is still a larger than life woman) she met a friend at the door and she said, "oh my god your huge, when are you due"

AKWARD!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I wonder what the heaviest ever baby born in Ireland is? apparently it is 12lb 12 in the UK
    29lb 4 was apparently the heaviest baby ever but they did not survive long.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I wonder what the heaviest ever baby born in Ireland is? apparently it is 12lb 12 in the UK
    29lb 4 was apparently the heaviest baby ever but they did not survive long.

Holey smoke, thats HUGE!

Moonbeam maybe you can help me with something, how do i only use a small part of a quote and not the whole post?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

scrgirl wrote: »
    Puffed up even more overnight so gone to gp to get bp checked. 19 people men women and children in docs waiting room and no seats. No one offers me a seat except another pregnant woman!! The age if chivalry is dead.

Aaaaargh soooo annoying, i was out shopping last night with the oh, ten mins in i of course need to pee, so i walk down, there are two toilets both occupied, and a man waiting to go in, im bursting at this point like im dancing, and the fecker goes to go ahead of me n leave me waiting for the next one, ha ha i dont bloody think so, i ran past him n into the toilet, my oh was in stitches laughing, n the bloke was left with his mouth gaping,

I told my oh if i ever caught him leaving a pregnant women standing or waiting on a toilet ect id drop kick him into next week, but i know hed never

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

What amazes me bad enough the men who wouldn't get up and looked down at the floor if I looked at them, but the women with young kids could have got their kids to play on the floor or sit on their lap, surely they can remember what it was like! The pregnant woman insisted I take her seat as she said she needed to stretch ler legs. What a nice lady. Thankfully my bp is ok just advised to rest and keep my feet up, Some chance in waiting rooms!!

Has any of the mums here had a newborn who needed an antibiotic? What's involved? Will the baby be on a drip or get an injection? I don't like the idea of either for the poor wee mite. I rarely take antibiotics myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I may kill one of the lads I work with. He's a complete dead weight and I had to take my lunch 2 hours late and have been run off my feet because of his uselessness. Wrath of the pregnant lady will not be a pretty sight. And I gobbled my lunch down and now my tiny tummy is killing me! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mapaco

Rachineire wrote: »
    I may kill one of the lads I work with. He's a complete dead weight and I had to take my lunch 2 hours late and have been run off my feet because of his uselessness. Wrath of the pregnant lady will not be a pretty sight. And I gobbled my lunch down and now my tiny tummy is killing me! :(

i hear ya....my cousin told me you really see peoples true colours when you're less able-so accurate-some colleagues go overboard 'minding' you, others say 'oh dont push that wheelchair' (WTF shur same as a pram?) and ten mins later want you moving mattresses :eek: and then theres the men.......grrrrr:mad: you could be half dead, sweatin and ran off your feet and they dont give a rats a**....
    the mammys of ireland have ALOT to answer for :mad:

rant over!!!

mel1 wrote: »
    Ahhh Rachael is the name i have chosen if it turns out to be a girl, thinking its gonna be a boy doe!

Its a good name- a caution though, My name has been misspelled my ENTIRE life! infact, its misspelled on my irish drivers license...my second one after I tried to get them to correct the spelling! gah! Ive had to get offical documents re-done countless times because of my name being mis-spelt...soo just a warning if you are considering putting that extra "a" in Rachael :rolleyes:

noiniho wrote: »
    Hi,

My wife are I are expecting our first baby on the 28th of Dec, our baby is quite small and is only at the 13th percentil for this stage in pregnancy, all the size ratios are as expected, my wife was signed out of work and we are kinda worried now. I wonder if anyone has experience of a similar situation?
    no personal experience, sorry. They do say the further along you get that babies will grow at different rates and hit growth spurts at different times. It may be that your due dates might be slightly off as well depending on how your wife's cycle was when she conceived. And babies will put on most of their poundage in the last couple of weeks....mine gained 3 pounds in the last 4 weeks :eek:!
    Fingers crossed that baby is just a little slow to hit his or her spurts and hoping for all the best for you guys!

Oh yea, and the fada is made by holding down the ALT GR button beside your space bar and holding down the letter you want the fada on at the same time, as in Éire.

There is a usless bit of info for you!

haha thanks for that!! I am actually using a laptop from america so i dont even have the right buttons I dont think to do that...also I'm pure lazy! :D:D

Yes i agree with that the chivalry is long gone. I was in tesco the other day and a lady rammed her shopping cart into me- looked at me, and then walked around me without so much as an excuse me!! and I'm very obviously pregnant! When I see a pregnant lady (and this was long before I was pregnant) I would always try and lend a hand by holding the door, or if i could letting them cut in front of me in the queue or by giving them my seat....havn't really had those perks for me! Although, one way it has worked in my favor, I havn't been screamed at by a customer in work in a while! (ahhh retail!)
    Scrgirl you think that one of those men would have had the least little bit of shame to see ANOTHER pregnant lady give up her seat for a pregnant lady...what would their mother's say?? tsk tsk! I think it all boils down to selfishness...for shame! I hate it at the maternity hospital when its packed out and pregnant women are left standing while there are loads of able bodied men sitting there, trying to ignore them. There are even signs posted all over the place that the seats are for pregnant women! If my OH was with me and he didn't jump right up to give another lady his seat I would push him outta the chair! :p
    I'm glad everything is ok with your BP though...its one of those things that has to be checked so carefully in the last trimester!

Jeni that is too funny- serves him right too!! I bet next time he won't think of cutting ahead of a pregnant lady in line for the loo!

Also in regards to the anti-biotics, im not sure...maybe a shot? I think my baby might have to have a course or two before he leaves the hospital due to the strep b. I never thought of asking that...i will definitely inquire the next time im in hospital!

mapaco- your dead right! I'm still going up and down ladders in work- I know there was meant to be a cut off point and i kept asking my manager but she couldn't be arsed in finding that out. I won't complain though- my hours have been cut so much, especially after i told her i wouldnt close by myself late at night anymore so I'm keeping my mouth shut and just trying to take it easy until im on my leave. Unfortunately this particular guy ALWAYS makes every shift you work with him frustrating and difficult and I dread the days im scheduled with him. We would actually get more done with him NOT there than with him there! how these kinds of people stay employed is a mystery to me! I told him tough cookies about his lunch break and that there was no way i was staying an extra half hour late for him! (felt soo much better for it too haha! )

ok I've written a novel here- just one last question- I got a prescription in the door for Ferrograd....I really dont want to be taking iron but I suppose i need to if my iron is low. Anyone have any advice, best way to take it so it causes the least amount of hassle (in terms of using the restroom)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Its a good name- a caution though, My name has been misspelled my ENTIRE life! infact, its misspelled on my irish drivers license...my second one after I tried to get them to correct the spelling! gah! Ive had to get offical documents re-done countless times because of my name being mis-spelt...soo just a warning if you are considering putting that extra "a" in Rachael :rolleyes:

it is also my name and I am well used to it being spelt wrong but I prefer the spelling and I did give both of my kids hard to spell names:-)
    And sure I am innocent as a lamb;) (if undo not get that look up the meaning)

haha thanks for that!! I am actually using a laptop from america so i dont even have the right buttons I dont think to do that...also I'm pure lazy! :D:D

Yes i agree with that the chivalry is long gone. I was in tesco the other day and a lady rammed her shopping cart into me- looked at me, and then walked around me without so much as an excuse me!! and I'm very obviously pregnant! When I see a pregnant lady (and this was long before I was pregnant) I would always try and lend a hand by holding the door, or if i could letting them cut in front of me in the queue or by giving them my seat....havn't really had those perks for me! Although, one way it has worked in my favor, I havn't been screamed at by a customer in work in a while! (ahhh retail!)
    Scrgirl you think that one of those men would have had the least little bit of shame to see ANOTHER pregnant lady give up her seat for a pregnant lady...what would their mother's say?? tsk tsk! I think it all boils down to selfishness...for shame! I hate it at the maternity hospital when its packed out and pregnant women are left standing while there are loads of able bodied men sitting there, trying to ignore them. There are even signs posted all over the place that the seats are for pregnant women! If my OH was with me and he didn't jump right up to give another lady his seat I would push him outta the chair! :p
    I'm glad everything is ok with your BP though...its one of those things that has to be checked so carefully in the last trimester!

Jeni that is too funny- serves him right too!! I bet next time he won't think of cutting ahead of a pregnant lady in line for the loo!

Also in regards to the anti-biotics, im not sure...maybe a shot? I think my baby might have to have a course or two before he leaves the hospital due to the strep b. I never thought of asking that...i will definitely inquire the next time im in hospital!

mapaco- your dead right! I'm still going up and down ladders in work- I know there was meant to be a cut off point and i kept asking my manager but she couldn't be arsed in finding that out. I won't complain though- my hours have been cut so much, especially after i told her i wouldnt close by myself late at night anymore so I'm keeping my mouth shut and just trying to take it easy until im on my leave. Unfortunately this particular guy ALWAYS makes every shift you work with him frustrating and difficult and I dread the days im scheduled with him. We would actually get more done with him NOT there than with him there! how these kinds of people stay employed is a mystery to me! I told him tough cookies about his lunch break and that there was no way i was staying an extra half hour late for him! (felt soo much better for it too haha! )

ok I've written a novel here- just one last question- I got a prescription in the door for Ferrograd....I really dont want to be taking iron but I suppose i need to if my iron is low. Anyone have any advice, best way to take it so it causes the least amount of hassle (in terms of using the restroom)?

You poor thing, you know there are laws that companies have to change the duties of pregnant women if they pose a risk, climbing up and down ladders at 8 months sounds risky to me. Do your company pay sick pay? If so tell your doc I'm sure they would sign you off sick early. My job is not physically risky but it is stressful and my doc has offered to sign me off. I'm considering it!!
    Is snyone else swelling up? Not only is it unsightly but it's really sore. I'm stiff snd ache all over. Had to buy a pair of ugg type boots as none if my shoes will fit snd most of my clothes I was wearing are now too uncomfortable :(

ah i would love to be signed off but I dont have the money and I wouldn't have sick leave! I have a weeks worth of holidays saved up so i will be going on my offical " leave" a week early so its not too bad! actually i think ive only got a week and a half left until im done!

I would say the stress factor would be worse than the ladder- i can always sit down when i want but i can't make myself stop stressing on a dime! If your able to get signed off I would totally take your doctor up on that! :)

I'm SO swollen, my legs and fingers. no more wedding band for me i think until babs is born. (its so tight and im scared of it getting stuck on!) i need my OH to rub some of the fluid im retaining out of my legs but its painful so im kinda avoiding it! I'm at the point where im not putting on my own socks and shoes...im like a little kid walking up to my OH with them in the morning and saying plleeasse! :cool:

Question - was just looking at the moan tread and noticed a few ladies talkin about havin a few glasses of wine or few beers! Now im not judging anyone or what decisions they make, but seriously DRINKING while Pregnant! Its only for 9 months! Is it not just moraly wrong and looks real bad, My husband is a musication and is away at least 3/4 nights a week. He is a tea totaler btw. Some times i will go for the night out and have few 7ups but i always feel people are judging me for even being in a pub and think i am there drinking voddies.

I am a big wine enjoyer, would have 1 or 2 bottels of red a week every week, but the minute i discovered i was pregnant i havnt touched the stuff. Actually it was the wine that told me i was pregnant, 2 glasses and i was sick as a dog, Hint Hint something is off!

So how many of ye have a few, regular or not and do ye feel guilty or thats its not a problem?
    Oh yea and my husband would go through the roof if i was drinking now too

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭irishrose1981

i havent touch a drop either since i became pregnant,i just couldnt be assd,but when baby comes and christmas comes il have one or two drinks thats it,i did one bud shandy about two or three months ago but i put more 7up in it than bud that i could taste the 7up more.

Question - was just looking at the moan tread and noticed a few ladies talkin about havin a few glasses of wine or few beers! Now im not judging anyone or what decisions they make, but seriously DRINKING while Pregnant! Its only for 9 months! Is it not just moraly wrong and looks real bad, My husband is a musication and is away at least 3/4 nights a week. He is a tea totaler btw. Some times i will go for the night out and have few 7ups but i always feel people are judging me for even being in a pub and think i am there drinking voddies.

I am a big wine enjoyer, would have 1 or 2 bottels of red a week every week, but the minute i discovered i was pregnant i havnt touched the stuff. Actually it was the wine that told me i was pregnant, 2 glasses and i was sick as a dog, Hint Hint something is off!

So how many of ye have a few, regular or not and do ye feel guilty or thats its not a problem?

I have had one or two half pints while pregnant. I see nothing wrong with a glass of wine or a half pint on occasion while pregnant. Its all about moderation- now im not even talking about a glass of wine once a week im talking about the odd occasion. My doctor told me that a glass of wine or two on the weekends or on a weekend evening was more than ok and that it would actually be better if that was a de-stressor for you than being stressed! Now I don't condone getting pissed while pregnant or smoking but I'm not going to judge another pregnant lady for having a glass of wine with her dinner!

I have had a glass or two of wine or a bottle of beer most weekends since midway through the second trimester. I did my research thoroughly and was satisfied it was not harmful. Studies have proven light consumption can have even beneficial effects. They change the advice given to pregnant women regularly. In the uk they say a few units a week is ok. In usa they say no alcohol. But all cases of FAS or FAE are due to excessive consumption.

every weekend we are getting more and more bits done before baby comes...I think at this stage my brain is in total over drive...must get EVERYTHING done before he is here because I will never get another chance :P!! My OH told me we didn't need to be so prepared that we are buying his college graduation gift yet! :o

got our car seat/base fitted today at mothercare. We didn't buy it there and told the sales lady that but was very bold and asked if we could have a hand- she was really great and helped install it with no bother and gave us some advice as well. Makes you want to buy more products from there that you could get other places when they are so helpful!

Also got a few other bits and bobs like some storage drawers to keep in the closet in the nursery to keep extra bath lotion and soothers and cotton buds and ect in and picked up a warm but lightweight knit blanket. Its not exactly a cellular blanket but one I will use in its place if I can. We don't use cellular blankets in the states and I don't really get why they seem necessary here as I find them ugly and rough. Babies seem to do just find over in the states without them....:confused::confused: these small little differences wreck my head sometimes!

Totally feel like my brain is in overdrive...guess that part of all the nesting stuff? I've always been organized but now I'm hyper organized! Also I seem to be dropping more stuff than ever! (and I can't get down to pick any of it up haha!) I need someone to follow me around just to pick up all the things I'm dropping :P

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

I haven't touched a drop either but really because I haven't been inclined. Don't see a big deal over a glass of wine or bottle of beer either, my mum has been actively trying to encourage me to have a glass of Guinness (for the iron) as she swore by it. Never was much of a drinker anyway to be honest so that's probably why not drinking doesn't bother me. Would sell my granny for a baileys coffee tho!!

A colleague of mine has taken to ringing me when I'm in the shop and asking me to get him 20 rothmans. The mortification of me asking for smokes while simultaneously trying to disguise my belly, I think he's doing it on purpose the fecker! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Ps although planning on breastfeeding myself and the oh picked up a few 'just in case' bottles on Saturday. We did our research and decided on MAM bottles, they are self-sterilising and all the reviews are excellent. Had bought a steriliser half price in the mothercare sale but needed it anyway for the breast pump etc delighted with these bottles (they are really pretty too!!)

• Advertisement

still no sign of going into labour looks like baby is happy in there and doesnt wonna come out yet,even tho i could do with the pregnancy over with now as its getting sore now down there.

Ah I got my maternity benefit decision in the door today!! Such a weight off my chest, especially seeing that I finish up work next week! Phew!!

Irishrose hope baby starts making some movement for ya soon!! I'm going to start baby get out procedures after my oh's birthday which is the 27th! Would love if he was born a week or two earlier than my due date!

still no sign of going into labour looks like baby is happy in there and doesnt wonna come out yet,even tho i could do with the pregnancy over with now as its getting sore now down there.

Nearly there hun rest up you wont be getting much after :)

Was in hospital today all is great baby is head down wohooo my bp is a bit high so ive to go back on monday n spend the day getting my bp done booo im not worried i was the same on my first

jeni wrote: »

Nearly there hun rest up you wont be getting much after :)

Was in hospital today all is great baby is head down wohooo my bp is a bit high so ive to go back on monday n spend the day getting my bp done booo im not worried i was the same on my first

Huzzah for head down!! Hope everything is ok with the blood pressure...were they worried about pre-eclampsia with you the last time?

Huzzah for head down!! Hope everything is ok with the blood pressure...were they worried about pre-eclampsia with you the last time?

No they never said just had to go in every day to get it checked

ah thanks girls,hope it happens soon in a good bit of pain since 8pm tonight but nuthing i cant handle with,its the other part that im worried about,will i be so sore down there when i go into labour or will it be the same as when i was pregnant on my daughter wasnt all that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭TeresaM

Hey all...
    Irishrose, when are you due honey? I hope things happen for you soon too.. I would love to go a bit early but as oh won't be home till 2 weeks before due date, I would like to wait till then LOL.. like I really have any choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭TeresaM

Rachineire,
    great that you got your maternity benefit sorted out! thats definately a weight off your mind! I just got my forms back from my employers after they had them for almost a month!! :O I will go down to the office with them tomorrow and get the ball rolling! yikes!

jeni, great that head is down!! :) hope your bp starts playing ball soon! Do you have far to go to your hospital to get checcked? Hope its not too far!

I have my hospital appt on thursday.. Looking forward to it really, I don't think they will do much really, just check bp, urine and belly to see if head is still down. Will be 35 weeks on thurs too... woop woop...
    OK, I do have a TOTALLY TMI question for you girlies...... waaaay tmi.. lately when I go and sit on the toilet I have noticed that I am SOOO swollen down there :( Like unbelieveably so... Its gross and weird.. Has anyone else got this? i have never said it to the doc's as its soo embarrassing! I kinda think its the baby pressing down but not sure.. any thoughts would be cool..
    Other than that I just have the usual suspects... heartburn is wicked tonight... dreading going to bed! ah well... gotta be done.
    Not long left girlies!!! :D:D

TeresaM wrote: »
    I have my hospital appt on thursday.. Looking forward to it really, I don't think they will do much really, just check bp, urine and belly to see if head is still down. Will be 35 weeks on thurs too... woop woop...
    OK, I do have a TOTALLY TMI question for you girlies...... waaaay tmi.. lately when I go and sit on the toilet I have noticed that I am SOOO swollen down there :( Like unbelieveably so... Its gross and weird.. Has anyone else got this? i have never said it to the doc's as its soo embarrassing! I kinda think its the baby pressing down but not sure.. any thoughts would be cool..
    Other than that I just have the usual suspects... heartburn is wicked tonight... dreading going to bed! ah well... gotta be done.

Only noticed this my self yesterday hun, its one of those things you get or you dont, i didnt the first time but am this time its yukky init, i can kinda feel it when i walk :(

According to google its varicos vains, n if its sore use an ice pack or tight pants, eeeek, im not to sore thank god, either way itll be gone soon after babs arrives, wudnt hurt to mention it next time to maybe a midwife or doctor, theyve seen it all they wont mind.

• Advertisement

TeresaM wrote: »
    Rachineire,
    great that you got your maternity benefit sorted out! thats definately a weight off your mind! I just got my forms back from my employers after they had them for almost a month!! :O I will go down to the office with them tomorrow and get the ball rolling! yikes!

jeni, great that head is down!! :) hope your bp starts playing ball soon! Do you have far to go to your hospital to get checcked? Hope its not too far!

Thanks it was quite a relief thats for sure- They seem to process them pretty fast once they get to Donegal so Hopefully yours will get sorted soon! When do you go on maternity leave?

I've noticed that mine is a little swollen- baby is hanging out pretty far down for me so i figured it was a combination of the pressure from him and the fact that everything on me is pretty swollen these days haha! I have heard that severe swelling is just what Jeni says, varicose veins and that it goes away after babs is born. If its painful though I would go to the docs and ask about it just to be on the safe side!

Teresa How was little man's Birthday?

Advertisement