Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Dec 2012....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Rachineire - Happy Thanks Giving:)

Thanks!!

CeNedra wrote: »
    Rachineire,

Fair play to you for doing the Thanksgiving cooking. My husband is from the US and hasn't been back for thanksgiving in years. I have to say I have made no effort to mark the occasion (i am a very bad wife obviously), we may go out to dinner tonight or something. Were trying to figure out pumpkin pie, but we are turfed out of our house until end of next week due to getting the whole thing painted so I can't even cook properly at the moment!! I can't believe I left the house painting to thanksgiving week and to when I turned 36 weeks, I am crazy and not very organised, or nesting too much maybe!!.

Anyway, happy thanksgiving. I hope my husband won't be too disappointed with me when I treat him to an Italian dinner without pumpkin pie tonight:)

Haha don't worry im sure your OH won't be dissapointed a bit! Its a very american thing and doesn't translate well overseas, the only reason why my OH's family does anything is because I request it, and cook it....and then it always turns out to be an irishized version of thanksgiving so its kinda odd! It would be like trying to recreate stephens day in America, it would be very hard to do! This year I'm meeting with a bunch of other American women in the area that have been living here a couple years too and we are going to a dinner- so thankfully no turkey cooking for me this year haha!

getting your house painted at 36 weeks? wowza! I thought i had it rough by moving house at 28 and 29 weeks, you will be tired thats for sure! but at least there will be a nice fresh coat for when baby is there! Best of luck with it! (and an italian dinner sounds yummy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

re the hospital bag, I picked up an ultra-lightweight foldable gym bag at Lidl yesterday for 8.99, it is massive when fully unfolded and literally weighs nothing. Can't find it on their website but might be worth looking into if you don't have anything big enough or if the big enough things are too heavy.

xiwang wrote: »
    re the hospital bag, I picked up an ultra-lightweight foldable gym bag at Lidl yesterday for 8.99, it is massive when fully unfolded and literally weighs nothing. Can't find it on their website but might be worth looking into if you don't have anything big enough or if the big enough things are too heavy.

I was looking for something like that for ages!! I ended up ordering one from amazon.co.uk!

yes I have been looking for something like that for the better part of the last six months really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Happy thanksgiving!

I was in the Coombe today and told the midwife how big my bag was and asked was it necessary and she said yes! "You'd be suprised how much you go through bring everything bar the kitchen sink in with you!" So looks like I'm not over doing it!

Have swollen ankles bp up a bit so told to go home to bed. Got a cert so Off work now till next wed then just back till Friday and on official maternity leave. Whoohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

Never tried or seen pumpkin pie, i wonder what it tastes like, i dont sound very appealing to be honest! Is it savory or sweet?

Got the tree up, what a battle, never took me as long in my life,glad i didnt leave it much longer.

Heres a pic if anyone is interested.

Also seen this doll on tv this morning, what ye think of it?

Breast-milk-baby-doll.jpg&w=485&h=364&ei=cFqvUIoUg8yEB_rYgJAJ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=215&vpy=152&dur=2744&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=142&ty=133&sig=110479075185668281138&page=1&tbnh=143&tbnw=191&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:85

The little girl straps on a fake boob on a vest and pretends to breast feed her baby doll, Is it only me who thninks that is a little OTT!

Sorry had to post pic again as it didnt go on first time

mel1 wrote: »
    Sorry had to post pic again as it didnt go on first time

Yeah I saw that in the states a couple of years ago...I found it disturbing then and I find it disturbing now! I mean, its all great for little kids to know how mom feeds baby and to have a very healthy attitude towards BF because its a wonderful natural thing, but do you need a doll that is geared to have little girls recreate it? yeesh!

Re: the pumpkin pie....well there are endless ways to make pumpkin pie...it typically tends to be sweet though! the more traditional way of making it would be on the savory side of things but I go for sweet as I've never liked it savory (or just more plain really). When its plain its similar enough to sweet potato if you have ever had that. when its sweet it tastes similar to carrot cake.

I don't do a traditional pie at all- I do a double layer pumpkin pie, my mom has been making them for over 20 years now and its my favorite dessert of all time! my OH who is probably the pickiest person I know refused to try it for a long time and once he did nearly ate an entire pie by himself! I've got about 4 pies worth of pumpkin mix made up if anyone is in the limerick area and fancies trying some! :D

Huzzah for trees going up! my OH said he would bring down the stuff tonight and we would set it up while watching christmas movies...I'm excited!

Thanks for all the info Rach, if i were anywhere near limerick i would love to call in for pie and a cuppa, but sadly your about three hours away.

Would normaly have had a nice bottle of bailys while putting up my tree :( but ginger ale was as good as it got this year, great dose of heartburn to go along with it, but tree looks all the better for it doe, everything is nice and straight!

Did you enjoy your day, do you miss home awfully?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

if any of you are in North kildare or west Dublin fee; free to message me:)

My hubby is home today until the end of January,I will prob be moaning about him being here haha:)

I don't really like the breast feeding doll,you will find 2 and 3 year olds will pretend to breastfeed to copy mammy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭TeresaM

Well done on the tree Mel! it looks lovely :)
    Wow, that doll is weird! Waaaay over the top! I think yeah, its great for our kiddies to understand a little about feeding.. my son knows thats how he was fed and this baba will be, but I also tell him that some mammies don't feed like that they buy special powder that makes milk for babies... I dunno, I think the toys for children now, instead of just letting them play, makes it that they are doing stuff that adults do! children should not be doing that I think... hoovering yeah sure :D

Rach, I've never had pumkin pie, must try making it myself some time, i did think about it this year, but never got around to getting the pumpkins... LOLLLL.... I made do with pumpkin tea light holders :D

I can't wait to get mine up but it will be 2 weeks until OH is home and we will do it then... I may start putting little things around the house before that but NOTHING big... God a little bit of a fright yesterday, had bh's for about 3 and half hours!! They were sore too!! :eek: actually I wonder were they braxton hicks at all.... anyway, thankfully they went away.. I had my dad collect my son and take him for the night tho cause if anything did happen I would have had to move him in the night! I was glad this morning he was up at dads tho cause I was awake from 4am and getting up to get sorted for school wouldn't have been so nice lol...
    I am definately going to take it easy now, am just 36 +1 today. My poor OH was so worried. I guess its hard for him being so far away and knowing he couldn't just come home if something did happen, it would take a couple of days to get ashore and flights home from Africa then last minute...
    Anyway, all is ok today, so gonna take it handy :D how are you all doday?

Thanks TeresaM! I do like to have a pretty tree!

I still dont know if i get BH or not, get crampy pains which frighten me a little but dont know if there are BH or not. Rest up!
    Its great that you and your da are so close, im not close with either my parents, but have great in laws, if i start labour in middle of night i will have to ring one of them to come baby sit while i go hospital as i wouldnt like to frighten them in the middle of the night. It must be horrible on those of ye who dont have any family around ye.
    Have you someone sorted out to be your birthing partner if you OH dont make it home or will you go it alone?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    if any of you are in North kildare or west Dublin fee; free to message me:)

My hubby is home today until the end of January,I will prob be moaning about him being here haha:)

I don't really like the breast feeding doll,you will find 2 and 3 year olds will pretend to breastfeed to copy mammy anyway.

Nope not near you either moonbeam.

Anyone in the midlands? Tullamore/mullingar,ect

Thanks TeresaM! I do like to have a pretty tree!

I still dont know if i get BH or not, get crampy pains which frighten me a little but dont know if there are BH or not. Rest up!
    Its great that you and your da are so close, im not close with either my parents, but have great in laws, if i start labour in middle of night i will have to ring one of them to come baby sit while i go hospital as i wouldnt like to frighten them in the middle of the night. It must be horrible on those of ye who dont have any family around ye.
    Have you someone sorted out to be your birthing partner if you OH dont make it home or will you go it alone?

It was a bit scary yesterday evening I have to say...they were more like contractions than cramps.. think thats why I got a little nervous. I'm generally not a nervous person at all! Very calm normally.
    yeah, my dad is great, he rings me every day now and even rings at 9am to see if he will come and take my son to school for me...he lives like two minutes away and the school is between us :) its fantastic! he is so good to me.
    As for having someone, yeah, I'll call my mum she just lives 5 mins away :D I really really hope that is my OH that is with me!! but I know my mum would be great too!
    I am very lucky with excellent friends close by that have all said if anything happens I can call them. I had a friend/neighbour down one night I was having cronic back spasms and when she went home at midnight she said if I had any bother that she would come down and sleep in beside me so I'd be ok! And her hubby has a truck and said if it snows he will take us to hospital!!!
    so I have to say I know that I will not be stuck on my own which is very comforting!

A truck all lined up for if it snows! You are most definiatly prepared!

Hey Ladies...man I get wiped out so easy...i fell asleep sitting in the computer chair earlier, its hard work carrying all this baby around!

Mel- No i'm actually ok with the homesickness for the most part...This is my third holiday season away from home so I'm getting used to it and making our own traditions so it helps. There are definitely little things I miss but its much easier than the first year! It will be a little bittersweet this year though with a new baby i think!

Teresa- I have no clue how to take a pumpkin and make the mash for pumpkin pies out of it! The only stuff I ever saw people use in america is pre-canned pumpkin, which already has some spice in it which makes it taste nice and sweet! I buy mine online, its a little cheaper than the stuff you can find in dublin!

Mel your tree looks lovely...I had the OH take a picture with my massive bump and the tree....the bump is actually overtaking the tree! lol don't judge too harshly, i feel like a house! I0dCT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Had pumpkin pie for the first time in eddie rockets at halloween, it was delish!!! Might try and make it myself one of these days...

have had an extremely tight belly the last two days, very uncomfortable, feel like im gonna burst honestly. also got my first stretchmarks during the day today, my bump is visibly bigger!! spent about half an hour bawling over the marks, thought id escaped them lol!

Moonbeam Im in Clonee/Dublin 15 area (you might get lonely in february)

Hey Rach, you look great!! And so does your tree :D

Its great to see some pics of what ya look like now, we can compare bumps :D:D

I can't wait to get my tree up, it'll be two weeks but will get my hubby to take a pic of me beside it and post it too!

Hope you've all had a great day today...x

• Advertisement

Piper101 wrote: »
    Had pumpkin pie for the first time in eddie rockets at halloween, it was delish!!! Might try and make it myself one of these days...

have had an extremely tight belly the last two days, very uncomfortable, feel like im gonna burst honestly. also got my first stretchmarks during the day today, my bump is visibly bigger!! spent about half an hour bawling over the marks, thought id escaped them lol!

aww I feel you on the stretch marks...they are awful! I knew i was going to get them...I made an attempt at the bio oil but I was getting them even while using it. I already had some anyways, i think im just predispositioned to them. My poor stomach though, I look like i have tiger stripes all across the front! Hopefully those are the only ones you get- stretch marks are so sore!

Thanks Teresa! Yeah i wonder how much bigger/smaller my bump is over other peoples..I see other pregnant women sometimes and I really want to ask how far along they are haha! Yes please do post pictures! :D:D

haha, I totally get that you want to ask, I do the same, well wanting to ask how far along they are :D

AS for the stretch marks, I was using bio oil but changed to almond oil cause I like it much better.. I use it all over tho as a moisturiser.. I find the bio oil smells very strong and my skin was very kinda greasy after it for ages. The almond oil absorbs much quicker :) I sometimes use it to take make up off (on the rare occasion I actually put it on)... its brilliant, I just put almond oil on cotton wool and take make up off and it acts as moisturiser too :D ta-daa... two in one ;)
    I haven't gotten any stretch marks yet this time!! Fingers crossed.. I got some with my son 7 years ago but not too many and all below my belly button. Thank god! However, i do know that the last strectch is the bigges and quickest and I could get them at any stage... (must put more oil on tonight!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

I was in for a check up today and mentioned that I was feeling kicks/punches on both sides of my belly. She said the baby could be back to back. I looked it up and it doesnt look too pleasant if the baby stays that way for labour, eek! Going to do some ball exercises to try move the babs. Are you guys using a ball and what exercises are you doing on it??

Looks like some cold weather for us the next while, hope the snow stays away eek!

I was in for a check up today and mentioned that I was feeling kicks/punches on both sides of my belly. She said the baby could be back to back. I looked it up and it doesnt look too pleasant if the baby stays that way for labour, eek! Going to do some ball exercises to try move the babs. Are you guys using a ball and what exercises are you doing on it??

Looks like some cold weather for us the next while, hope the snow stays away eek!

LOL, i laugh in the face of exercise, ha exercise she says, its a whole lotta work just tryin to get out of the couch:D

Im already feckin freezing!

LOL, i laugh in the face of exercise, ha exercise she says, its a whole lotta work just tryin to get out of the couch:D

Im already feckin freezing!

feeling a bit guilty about my lack of exercise too!! feck it, never did any before :p

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

Rachineire,

Great tree and great bump!! You look fab. I'm at least twice the size of you so I won't be posting my picture any time soon. I have SPD so no exercise for me and I have not had any for a long time, hence my size. I also am expecting a big baby, my other two were big.

This was backed up yesterday when my daughter ran out of school and announced to everybody waiting on pick ups to 'look at the size of her mammy's tummy' everybody was laughing. I consoled myself by thinking that imagine if she had said that and I wasn't pregnant!!

Then she picked up her book at the school library, of course it also involved a sense of humour, it is called 'My mummy has a house in her Tummy.' At least not too many people saw that ...... it is a cute book.

I would do any exercise I could find to turn baby if mine was back to back or breech, a friend of mine had a breech baby and it was really tough on her. Ball exercises didn't help in her case, but at least now baby loves sitting on the ball with her and calms down instantly, so even if yours doesn't turn there is an advantage to trying make him move with the ball.

I found one on livestrong, but many other sites dedicated to the topic like spinningbabies etc are around for ideas http://www.livestrong.com/article/125330-birthing-ball-exercises-baby-move-down/

I got a lovely comment from OH yesterday, we went for a walk at the beach and once I made it back up to the street (there is a steep hill on the last stretch) he said, "you are doing very well, I seen you out of breath on that bit before you got pregnant and now getting up there only seems like a minor inconvenience to you"

It doesn't seem like much but his comment really meant a lot, it was lovely to see him putting thought in there at how difficult even small things can be at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Lol excercise had to google it to see what it us you speak of ;)

I am officially on maternity leave!!! Woohoo! Never thought this day would get here!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Me too. Loving finally being on maternity leave! It's lovely to finally chill out.

Advertisement