Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help in making a decision - sony or samsung

Options
  • 15-04-2012 5:52pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I think I have narrowed it down to 2 phones.

The Samsung Galaxy S II and the Sony Xperia S.

So what do I mainly want?

Camera is important, and I understand both have a decent camera although I hear that sony wins on this one?

Do both phones have access to the same apps? I was looking at the Samsungs Reader Hub, but heard that downloading Aldiko would be better anyway?

So is there any real 'tangible' difference between these phones or is it just down to prefering Sony over Samsung or vice versa??

I can get both free with upgrade - so cost isn't an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yes, it's really down to personal preference, get and use both phones for awhile and see which you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭kirving

I'd go with the Sony if it's for the camera, but it's really a matter of preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Another vote for the Sony. Hate the curved corners on the Samsung

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm going to assume your a girl Angel.
    Unless you've big hands you'll find the size of the sony a little off putting, it's a big phone with a bit of weight to it. HTC one X should also be in your choice. It's the biggest but it's pretty light, if your using it as a e-reader you might be glad of the extra screen size.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

Have had both and careful me, dropped both, from about 1 meter onto tarmac, Sony broke, Samsung was grand, I preffered touchwiz aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Sony for camera mostly, if you prefer Samsung phones then id go for that but for me i prefer Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I would go with the Samsung, they have a brilliant screen, great phone and best smartphone in my opinion (at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

My boyfriend got the Sony last week and thinks it's an amazing phone. I agree with him, but I find that it's a bit too big for my hands. Also, it doesn't fit comfortably in my pocket or small handbags.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks for all the advice,

is there a difference (noticeable) between android 4 on the HTC and 2.3 on the Sony & Samsung?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I'm trying to decide the same thing. A lot of friends love the Samsung but I've always prefered Sonys myself. One thing which is swaying me is that the Samsung has a removable battery, which seems to be handy as you can always have one on charge. Anyone else think this would be important?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Sony for camera,Samsung for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

angeldaisy wrote: »

is there a difference (noticeable) between android 4 on the HTC and 2.3 on the Sony & Samsung?

The Sony is going to 4 in the next few weeks.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

angeldaisy wrote: »

Sony are in the process of releasing ICS(4) for the S. Some time this quarter, hopefully very soon. Either way long term its not a factor you should consider as they'll all have it I think(Can somebody confirm that for GS2?).
    I'm trying to decide the same thing. A lot of friends love the Samsung but I've always prefered Sonys myself. One thing which is swaying me is that the Samsung has a removable battery, which seems to be handy as you can always have one on charge. Anyone else think this would be important?

Pretty much all smartphones nowadays go for the one day balance between bulk and usage-time. Both phones are going to last roughly a day as long as you dont game for a few hours(With a pokemon emulator its tempting:p ). The S battery performance gets a nice boost with the new firmware thats slowly releasing and has a two week settling time, so if you hear the typical day one "oh the battery sucks" comment take it with a pinch of salt.

The aul one had the GS1 and tbh with stock 2.3(It was a work phone so no tweaking) it was buggy as hell. Nice hardware, but touchwiz is meh. Not as bad as Sense, but not great.

From an S owner, I'd say go for it. Even if its just for the screen. While the S2 has AMOLED, its not the 720p beast that the S totes. Seriously, when you're taking nice photos you want to be able to review them properly right there on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

ED E wrote: »
    Sony are in the process of releasing ICS(4) for the S. Some time this quarter, hopefully very soon. Either way long term its not a factor you should consider as they'll all have it I think(Can somebody confirm that for GS2?).
    Samsung are in the process of rolling it out for the Galaxy S2 as well. Depends on what network you're with at the moment, but all should networks have it very soon.
    The aul one had the GS1 and tbh with stock 2.3(It was a work phone so no tweaking) it was buggy as hell. Nice hardware, but touchwiz is meh. Not as bad as Sense, but not great.
    Not a fan of TouchWiz either, but there are plenty of better launchers on the Play store (check out Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher). If the camera really is a big deal for you, then I'd say maybe you should go for the Sony. That said I love my S2, I think it's a fantastic phone. Go in to the store and check them both out though, actually have a look at them and see which you prefer OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Aodan83 wrote: »
    Go in to the store and check them both out though, actually have a look at them and see which you prefer OP.

This really is the best advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Xbox Martyr

Probably a bit late posting this but it's a really good comparison/review. Covers everything.

http://m.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_s_vs_samsung_galaxy_s_ii-review-734.php

I'd personally go the Xperia route. The S2 is a super phone but it's been around about a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I don't like samsung phones, they've never been up to my quality standards but they do use gorilla glass. Sony phones don't and need a screen protector. This is a big no-no in my books.

I would however buy a sony over a samsung, but then again i'd never buy either :)

(Although for TV's it's samsung all the way!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Some great advice from everyone, I was in CPW yesterday looking again at the phones and think I'm going to get the Sony one, the guy in there said that whilst the HTC phone is a great one, to hold off on getting one for a few months as they are having lots of teething problems with them?
    The Sony seems to have the edge over the Samsung - newer tech etc....

TBi: I would however buy a sony over a samsung, but then again i'd never buy either

What would you go for????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I'd probably buy HTC and i'd NEVER listen to anything someone who works in CPW would tell me.

The One S and One X are superb phones and get great reviews. XDA-developers forum would be a great place to find out if there are any issues.

I'd buy an iPhone or Nokia Lumia 800, but then i'm not a fan of android. I would buy HTC but the titan WP7 phone is too big and the radar is too slow.

(Although i do quite like the Sony phones out at the moment, apart from the non-gorilla glass.)

Advertisement