Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork's favourite curry.

Options
  • 15-04-2012 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭

I love curry. I want to talk about curry.

Straight off the bat, I have to say that Spice of India in B'town does some pretty delicious curry.

Where do you get your curry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I make homemade curries alot but when im feeling lazy
    Pearl River curry for me i love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Have to make mine, nowhere really gets hot enough. Although one time the Spice Route takeaway on McCurtain Street made me one by special request which was gorgeous, those lads know a good curry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I like my curry hot too but I don't like it so hot that I'm 'taking it on', you know, as if you're trying to beat it - with a face like this >:mad:< from the heat.

I think Tung Sing is very reliable for the old Chinese curry but the Indian curries are much more tasty imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's gotta hurt on the way in, AND on the way out ;)

Great thread!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Raj in kerrypike is super awesome.

The restuarant opposite the Rob Roy is great also.

I love me a ninjun. Pity it is so damned expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sorry, but have never found a decent ruby here. I still have nightmares about that place by the Opera House! :eek:

I'm going home to London this week, so will get my fix there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Have you tried Green Safron spice blends? Cork company that have these excellent mixed spices allowing you to make a curry at home that's just as good if not better than most Indian restaurants. Their Balti, Madras and Jalfrezi being particulariy good. Worth checking out.

http://www.greensaffron.com/department.php?id=10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sorry, but have never found a decent ruby here. I still have nightmares about that place by the Opera House! :eek:

Tayabs being the finest Indian eatery in That London.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Have you tried Green Safron spice blends? Cork company that have these excellent mixed spices allowing you to make a curry at home that's just as good if not better than most Indian restaurants. Their Balti, Madras and Jalfrezi being particulariy good. Worth checking out.

http://www.greensaffron.com/department.php?id=10

+1 for these guys - savage spices. They sell them at the midleton farmer market. I heard he was going selling them in town as well. Dont know where though

gimmick wrote: »
    Tayabs being the finest Indian eatery in That London.

Never been to Cafe Spice Namaste or Chutney Mary's then? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

The Spice of India is good, but I think Lal Quila in Douglas is slightly better, although I haven't been back there lately. Nowhere I've been in town has been as good as either of them.
    Agreed that none of them compare to London restaurants, but we have to make do with what we've got here.
    The Thais are much better, the Banna Thai in Maylor Street is great, and the place in Douglas is pretty good too.

But to reply to the thread title, surely Cork's favourite curry is the type that's poured over chips at around 2am.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Spice of India is awful. Bombay Palace is the closest I ever got to a decent ruby in Cork and even then it was still quite a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Those Green Saffron lads are in Mahon point on Thursday mornings. Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

im a jackeen lol but theres a place on mc curtain st,on the opposite side of the street from the grovesnor,can't think of the name but their currys are always top notch,and not to pricey either.

pow wow wrote: »
    Spice of India is awful.

Ah c'mon now. SoI does some tasty curries.

You know who does a lovely fragrant curry?

Ecos Restaurant in Douglas. Ecos have a lovely fragrant madras with fresh coriander and ginger in it.

Yummers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

just get the hottest nandos sauce and throw it on some rice and chicken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I have been to 3 indian restaurants in Cork, here are my thoughts:

1) Bombay Palace on Cook St

Amazing !! Nicest Indian I have been to Cork and one of my favourites in Ireland. The vindaloo has a great taste too and it has one hell of a kick to it. For a chili lover it is perfect !!! (Both sit in and takeaway are top notch). Tikka Masala is also very tasty !

2) Lal Quila in Douglas

Went here for a work night out, hated it !! Food was bland and the vindaloo I ordered had no heat to it. I would not return.

3) The place across from the opera house (think it's called "the eastern tandoori" but I am not sure...

Went here about 2 years ago and I thought it was average, I remember they offered us a drink while we waited on a table which was nice :)

4) I heard great things about "Spice of India" in btown, have not tried it yet but when I do I'll report back !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ah c'mon now. SoI does some tasty curries.

You know who does a lovely fragrant curry?

Ecos Restaurant in Douglas. Ecos have a lovely fragrant madras with fresh coriander and ginger in it.

Yummers.
    Yes the Ecos one i am a big fan of that too, lovely curry excellent flavours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 METS 1B

Bombay Palace on Cook street, Rogan Josh.

/thread

Also: Bombay Palace > The Raj (the owners are brothers too :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

Bricklane is the best place for curry in london

• Advertisement

sunshiner wrote: »
    Bricklane is the best place for curry in london

Not any more. And it hasn't been that way for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

ECO's is always quality no matter what tou get in there...
    the yellow curry in BANNA THAI maylor st is heaven

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Not any more. And it hasn't been that way for a long time.

Brick lane was my go to place as well.
    Wheres good in London nowadays ?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

The Saffron in Hazelwood shopping centre has been the best that i have tried in cork,the madras can be outstanding,i suppose it all depends on the chef but its allways good but sometimes is to die for,have not tried it in a while as the takeaways died along with the tiger for me,the owners are very nice to deal with,a few years ago when i called for my usual fri night curry i had an extra large order as we had visitors and the owners supplied the full order on the house as they had heard that my wifes mother had passed on,the owner explained about a tradition they have in her part of india that when a person is in mourning the friends and relatives cook for them for a certain amount of time and that was her way of offering her sympathy's to my wife,i thought it was very generous of her,im drooling thinking about the madras now,had the vindaloo one night and it nearly killed me,its was gorgeous but wat too hot for me not to mention the morning after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Has anyone tried buying a spice mix from the Green Saffron crowd?
    I've bought a lot of things from their spot in Middleton and I'm no chef but the dinners I made following their recipes beat any Indian I've eaten in Cork.
    Their rice is excellent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

pow wow wrote: »
    Spice of India is awful. Bombay Palace is the closest I ever got to a decent ruby in Cork and even then it was still quite a distance.

Holy cow, I thought that hole of a place Bombay Palace was awful. Went there a few months ago & i wont be back soon. Average/almost small portions of not particularly convincing indian style mush. And actually a little more expensive than some rivals that offer superior grub!

The Spice of India in Bishopstown (which I have been to many times) I regard as having some of the finest indian cuisine in the city. Although the premises is somewhat off putting due its slightly narrow confines. More importantly the food is top quality.

On a side note I think the Radhuni in Douglas does a decent indian curry although the service in my opinion can be poor at times. The starters in this place are superb & they do the best nan bread in the city as far as im concerned.

For a chinese curry I always head to Tung Sing Patrick street. Nothing amazing but its a fine reliable establishment with a lovely chicken curry.

Ecos standard curry (or madras) is also a lovely curry. Massive portions thats for sure & great quality.

Yeah, Radhuni naan bread is the nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

54kroc wrote: »
    Has anyone tried buying a spice mix from the Green Saffron crowd?
    I've bought a lot of things from their spot in Middleton and I'm no chef but the dinners I made following their recipes beat any Indian I've eaten in Cork.
    Their rice is excellent as well.

Long time lurker coming out of hiding! :o

I got a jalfrezi mix from Green Saffron, bought it in the stall/shop across from what I always think of as the olive place in the English Market (they got wooden buckets with olives and other yummy things). Mix was great, full printed instructions on the back of the packet as well, super tasty.

Also, I'm partial to the rogan josh at Indian Palace on Princes st.

horgan_p wrote: »
    Brick lane was my go to place as well.
    Wheres good in London nowadays ?

Brick Lane USED to be great for rubies. Most places were unlicensed, so you could pop in a boozer, get your beer in plastic cups, so that you could take the cups into the restaurant and BYOB!!!:D

But it depends where in London you want to go. Can recommend Cafe Spice Namaste in Alie St, E1. Not far from Brick Lane. In fact it's round the corner from the Tower of London. Get a black bus. Cabbie'll know exactly where it is!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Tooting Broadway in London has some decent curry spots if you are down South. I especially like Mirch Masala on Tooting Rd.

I concur with others that one of Cork's finest curry's is served in Ecos. Quite astonishing since it is a place I would associate with European faire but they do a decent curry.

Advertisement