Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork's favourite curry.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

nerwen wrote: »
    Long time lurker coming out of hiding! :o

I got a jalfrezi mix from Green Saffron, bought it in the stall/shop across from what I always think of as the olive place in the English Market (they got wooden buckets with olives and other yummy things). Mix was great, full printed instructions on the back of the packet as well, super tasty.

Also, I'm partial to the rogan josh at Indian Palace on Princes st.

My favourite dish, try it in bombay Palace (if you haven't), when they do it right it's amazing! (keema naan and boiled rice!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

D-Generate wrote: »
    Tooting Broadway in London has some decent curry spots if you are down South. I especially like Mirch Masala on Tooting Rd.

I concur with others that one of Cork's finest curry's is served in Ecos. Quite astonishing since it is a place I would associate with European faire but they do a decent curry.

Tooting Rd? Doesn't exist. Do you mean Tooting High St or Upper Tooting Rd? There's a wicked Kerala place in Tooting High St (towards Collier's Wood). Always banged out...

I'm from Wandsworth myself, so know the area very well indeed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

nerwen wrote: »
    Long time lurker coming out of hiding! :o

I feel truly honoured that you have chosen my curry thread to 'come out'. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

What can I say, good food makes me do crazy things! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Tooting Rd? Doesn't exist. Do you mean Tooting High St or Upper Tooting Rd? There's a wicked Kerala place in Tooting High St (towards Collier's Wood). Always banged out...

I'm from Wandsworth myself, so know the area very well indeed! :D

Upper Tooting Rd. As you go from the underground station towards Tooting Bec and on towards Balham.

• Advertisement

D-Generate wrote: »
    Upper Tooting Rd. As you go from the underground station towards Tooting Bec and on towards Balham.

Yeah - I know the place you mean. I've eaten in there a few times. Not bad!

Talk about cork, not England!

Dermighty wrote: »
    Talk about cork, not England!

Would love to. Only there's no decent places in Cork, like I say! :D

Now - is there a decent Thai curry place around here?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭SkySter

Holy cow, I thought that hole of a place Bombay Palace was awful. Went there a few months ago & i wont be back soon. Average/almost small portions of not particularly convincing indian style mush. And actually a little more expensive than some rivals that offer superior grub!

The Spice of India in Bishopstown (which I have been to many times) I regard as having some of the finest indian cuisine in the city. Although the premises is somewhat off putting due its slightly narrow confines. More importantly the food is top quality.

On a side note I think the Radhuni in Douglas does a decent indian curry although the service in my opinion can be poor at times. The starters in this place are superb & they do the best nan bread in the city as far as im concerned.

For a chinese curry I always head to Tung Sing Patrick street. Nothing amazing but its a fine reliable establishment with a lovely chicken curry.

Ecos standard curry (or madras) is also a lovely curry. Massive portions thats for sure & great quality.

+1 for Radhuni. Definitely the best Keema Nans around.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭SkySter

Not any more. And it hasn't been that way for a long time.

Totally agree. It was Curry Heaven in the late eighties when I lived in London. The restaurants were cheap, wholesome and authentic. Locals ate in many. Went back there last year and was left disappointed and underwhelmed. An overly commercial tourist trap which is no different that 1000's of other curry places scattered all over the UK.

• Advertisement

Now - is there a decent Thai curry place around here?

Banna Thai has never done me wrong on thai food, though I don't tend to get curry when I'm there. Strangely enough I prefer their lunch menu to their dinner menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Chad_Fantastics

Green Saffron is the job, mixes are great but the stall in Mahon on Thursday and Middleton Saturday have a choice of hot dishes for eating then and pots for taking home, get there early in Mahon, often sold out by 1pm. The Jalfrezi is amazing, spicy, sweet, creamy, closest thing I've found to my mums...

I did ask the guy who owns GS for his recommendation and he was very cagey, got the impression he didn't want to talk anywhere local down but also that there was nowhere he wanted to talk up either. Did talk about places in Dublin and London.

The wife says the Banna Thai in Ballincollig is much superior to the one in town, which I think was only ok a few weeks ago but it was take out between lunch/dinner so might not have been at their best...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ppr

+1 for Spice of India & Raj Gaylord

Spice of India is getting a lot of praise here, I've never eaten there, mainly because I'm not near the place.

I went to the Raj on reputation alone back when it opened, as I had heard than the Delhi Palace owners had moved their restaurant there. The Raj is fine, but it's very expensive (4 or 5 euro more than Bombay palace for the same or worse food, far too expensive for the quality (though the Murg Makhni is ridiculously good!). In particular I felt their mixed Tandoori left a lot to be desired (it was also 20-something euro)

Bombay Palace is the most consistent I've been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fishrman

Would have to agree with Bombay Palace being about the most consistent. Having said that i have had a few mediocre meals there too! Went to Banna Thai for dinner one evening recently but it was only ok. Service was friendly so maybe try it yourself and see what you think. My better half made an unbelievable thai yellow from scratch during the week. Big cinnamon stick, dry fried spices and wedges of ginger in the pot. Amazing. And i prefer indian!! The one thing everyone i know seems to agree on is that once you have an amazing indian meal it tends to stay in your memory for a looong time and you keep chasing the same experience again! Addiction i think...

I can do a mean West Indian curry chicken/goat. I'm not too bad at doing Thai green curries either! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

not too clued in about restaurants but spice route on top of maccurtain street is unreal, they're nice and friendly too. made the madras/karahi/vindaloo my hangover cure!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

gimmick wrote: »
    Tayabs being the finest Indian eatery in That London.

Yep that Tayyabs is immense.
    Found another place across the road from it (across Commercial Street) was with an India colleague, looks like a GAA hall but the found was out of this world. Can't remember the name of it though.

BierHalle is having a beer and curry night next Wednesday, 6 course tasting menu and a sample beer for 18 quid, check out the Facebook page for details.

Nah bad!

Man, if it wasn't for a certain game that'll take up my full week I'd be all over that. ;)

• Advertisement

BierHalle is having a beer and curry night next Wednesday, 6 course tasting menu and a sample beer for 18 quid, check out the Facebook page for details.

Holy sweet Moses that sounds good.

I'm off the drink though*. :(

*Except for the all Irish Heineken Cup final which will be an all day session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Love the Radhuni it's my favourite take away! I like the Ambassador on cook street and the tung sing too! Yum. Curry is the biz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Nah bad!

It's been put back a week to the 23rd, as they need time to get one of the brewmasters from Eight Degrees in. They're trying to make it a little bit more of an event, with talks from the chef and the beer people. It's still looking like eighteen euros though. And I have a table of four booked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Surprised no one has mentioned Haveli in Douglas...really really tasty Indian, definitly amoung the best avaliable in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Surprised no one has mentioned Haveli in Douglas...really really tasty Indian, definitly amoung the best avaliable in Cork.

I second this. I ate their about 4 years ago and thought it was quite average but was back more recently and the grub was very good, not sure have they changed owners?

Lalquila in Douglas also is very good. The madras off their takeaway menu which they will also serve as a main eating in is delicious but pretty firey.

The bierhalle might be the next date night...

Lalquila was ok, I've not gone back to it since the extended the kitchen and went cracked with the ethnic check list. I don't care how good the indian food was, it's can't keep that level and also be a Thai place, a italian place, a pizza place a chinese place, a european place AND a chipper!!!!!!!

:eek:

I had got the satay skewered chicken with fried rice as a main course from Sisi House on Model Farm Road (formerly the Tennis Village) and it was absolutely delicious.

I'd highly recommend it.

Advertisement