Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any experience/comments on UPC + 2 xboxes

Options
  • 15-04-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hello lads,
    I have upc broadband 20mg.
    Next weekend I was hoping to hook another xbox up to it to go online with a friend and play BF3.
    Is this possible?Has anyone any experience of this or advice to offer?
    Thanks
    cdon79

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

toitle wrote: »
    Hello lads,
    I have upc broadband 20mg.
    Next weekend I was hoping to hook another xbox up to it to go online with a friend and play BF3.
    Is this possible?Has anyone any experience of this or advice to offer?
    Thanks
    cdon79
    I used to have three or four xboxes running halo on 25mb upc and never had a problem hope this helps. I'm running 100mb upc now and it's amazing I have run three xboxes and the wife running rte player on the ps3 with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

For the best experience I suggest that you use a cable instead of wireless. But would imagine that you should be fine on wireless too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Online gaming is not that big a drain for the most part. It's when you start streaming and DL'ing (legally of course ;) ) at the same time when you may feel some difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toitle

Thanks for your replies
    Wires it will be,we never forked out for the wifi adapter thing.
    Roll on Saturday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

The only issue you might have is conflicting NAT. If you're using the bog standard upc modem/ router you might have an issue. I'd recommend getting a separate router (Cisco E4200 is what i have), and just putting the standard UPC box into bridge mode.

I have 2 xboxes and a ps3 all open NAT as a result. NAT will effect finding online games greatly.

You might get on fine as is, but just in case you're matchmaking issues, you'll know what's wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The only issue you might have is conflicting NAT. If you're using the bog standard upc modem/ router you might have an issue. I'd recommend getting a separate router (Cisco E4200 is what i have), and just putting the standard UPC box into bridge mode.

I have 2 xboxes and a ps3 all open NAT as a result. NAT will effect finding online games greatly.

You might get on fine as is, but just in case you're matchmaking issues, you'll know what's wrong.

There are ways to open your Nat with the standard UPC router too.

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    There are ways to open your Nat with the standard UPC router too.

Yes, it involves assigning one xbox to forwarded ports and putting the other in the DMZ, but this sometimes doesn't give both an open NAT. That was the case for me anyway.

Originally Posted by MiniNukinfuts

This is starting to sound complicated (to me at least)
    If I check out my router model number would that mean anything to you more knowledgeable souls?

Woah, woah, woah. It is not likely that you will get a NAT error. That is not the norm at all. It should just be a case of hooking up and playing like it was for me with UPC. If you do happen to get any issues, call UPC who can guide you through opening ports etc. You could also post up here as there are a few who have had this before and can help. Had these issues with Eircom a few years back when I first tried to hook my PS3 up to the internet and although the troubleshooting sounds difficult it is actually very easy to perform. But, as I said, the vast majority of people just plug in and play

I'm not saying that you'll get the NAT error, i'm just saying from my last experience with the standard UPC router gave me one Open NAT xbox and another Moderate NAT xbox.

Don't bother ringing UPC about port forwarding, they're useless and they don't want to help you, they'll only make you ring their premium PC service and that's expensive. Just ask on boards, I can help you also, i've done it 100 times before.

• Advertisement

Ok deadly,thanks again for your time.Hopefully it will just work straight away.
    Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

You WILL get NAT issues, I've gone through hell to get our 2 xbox's with open NAT since I moved in with some mates. If it's only temporary, you'll just have to make do, otherwise you'll need another router with a dedicated ethernet WAN port, and for the record setting the epc2425 to bridged mode is no longer possible through standard means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I use upc and find the service to the most part very good, my only issue in the past was if one of the xboxs was turned on while the other was connected it would disconnect the first console from live, which at times was very annoying. Since the owner of the second console is now doing exams this year I not renewed his sub, and it hasn't been an issue. I'm not sure if this is a upc issue out or a live issue?

NORTH1 wrote: »
    I use upc and find the service to the most part very good, my only issue in the past was if one of the xboxs was turned on while the other was connected it would disconnect the first console from live, which at times was very annoying. Since the owner of the second console is now doing exams this year I not renewed his sub, and it hasn't been an issue. I'm not sure if this is a upc issue out or a live issue?

That could be a conflicting IP address issue, both consoles have the same (static) IP and one kicks the other off. Or it could be that you both have Closed NAT. Your issue is a UPC/ your router's issue. Xbox wouldn't have an issue with this.

Adam wrote: »
    You WILL get NAT issues, I've gone through hell to get our 2 xbox's with open NAT since I moved in with some mates. If it's only temporary, you'll just have to make do, otherwise you'll need another router with a dedicated ethernet WAN port, and for the record setting the epc2425 to bridged mode is no longer possible through standard means.

I had no NAT issues. I have the very router model you have. My Nat is Type 1 on PS3 and Open on the Xbox.

Still havent had a chance to try this yet as I have work commitments until this Saturday but thank you for the continued discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I had no NAT issues. I have the very router model you have. My Nat is Type 1 on PS3 and Open on the Xbox.
    Well that's PS3 and Xbox, I don't know anything about that, but I know pretty much all there is to know about the EPC2425 and multiple Xbox's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

I'm not saying that you'll get the NAT error, i'm just saying from my last experience with the standard UPC router gave me one Open NAT xbox and another Moderate NAT xbox.

Don't bother ringing UPC about port forwarding, they're useless and they don't want to help you, they'll only make you ring their premium PC service and that's expensive. Just ask on boards, I can help you also, i've done it 100 times before.

Not really the case with UPC cc i have found them really really helpful the last 12 months or so ..........i honestly never thought i'd here myself say that but there ya go ;)

almanu wrote: »
    Not really the case with UPC cc i have found them really really helpful the last 12 months or so

So UPC have actually helped you set up the XBL ports over the phone?

So UPC have actually helped you set up the XBL ports over the phone?

that and then some i was really impressed :D

• Advertisement

almanu wrote: »
    that and then some i was really impressed :D

lucky! you must have got some guy on the phone who actually knows what an xbox is. Normally, i just get cranky old women who barely know what a computer is.

lucky! you must have got some guy on the phone who actually knows what an xbox is. Normally, i just get cranky old women who barely know what a computer is.
    well if im honest i have been with them since 07 and the amount of times i have almost pulled my hair out and told them i was cancelling my service due to there stupidity is unreal , so i feel im long over due :pac:

its just as if they have really got there act together .

Advertisement