Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis Binding and Printing

Options
  • 15-04-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm in final year in college :D and I need to get my thesis printed and bound this week preferably on Tuesday. I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere I could get it done at a reasonsble price. I have been quoted roughly €140 for three copies each copy is 65 pages; with 8 pages each in colour. Anyone know of anywhere in city centre or even Dublin 15 that I can get it done for cheaper (bearing in mind, its hardback binding)

Any hep is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I'll be getting mine done this week aswell, 3 hard back copies for €140 sounds like very good value in comparison to what Ive heard other people payed. The Thesis Centre on Camden St did my gfs and it cost €130 for two copies and TCD had given her specific covers to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Reeds on Nassau Street ? not the street-side shop but the one in the beside Kilkenny Design.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

This crowd will do hardbound copies for €22 each if you buy 3. You would have to get it printed first though. Reads are charging 8c for B/W and 35c for colour pages and can do it within a couple of hours. Hope that helps

http://www.duffybookbinders.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

From what I've heard the Thesis Centre on Camden Street are very good.* I couldn't tell you exactly how much they'll charge but if you're up against a deadline I have heard nothing but good things about them. If you've spent months/years working on a thesis it's worth putting it in the safest hands you can.**

* No affiliation but deal with a lot of under/postgrad students.
    ** While acknowledging that price is a factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

candy19 wrote: »
    I'm in final year in college :D and I need to get my thesis printed and bound this week preferably on Tuesday. I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere I could get it done at a reasonsble price. I have been quoted roughly €140 for three copies each copy is 65 pages; with 8 pages each in colour

Are you absolutely sure you need to get proper thesis binding? For an undergraduate, that would be a bit unusual. They might mean basic comb binding or thermal binding which is just a few euro in Reads or wherever.

The professional binding (hardback with gold lettering) is always required for PhD theses. For a long time it was also required for masters dissertations as well - but a lot of courses in a lot of universities have relaxed that a bit in recent years. As I understand it, they used to always send them on to the library who required the proper binding. Nowadays, most courses keep them as PDFs and put them on the web somewhere. I don't think the library takes them anymore.

For undergraduates, I've never heard of a course requiring the proper binding - but I could well be wrong. Worth checking anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'd second that, when I was doing mine we were told not to do it for dissertations- absolutely no need, and very expensive. Go for normal spiral-bound, it's a fraction of the cost and you won't lose any marks. Hardback is only for doctorates.

Im in DIT and we where told 1 hard back copy and 2 spiral bound copies at the start. My gf is in TCD and she had to get it hard bound but they gave her the specific covers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

DIT and Trinity both insist on Hard Bound for undergrad dissertations, its a pain!!

mmcn90 wrote: »
    DIT and Trinity both insist on Hard Bound for undergrad dissertations, its a pain!!

Not true of the TCD degree I did

Gae wrote: »
    Not true of the TCD degree I did

Didn't realise they had different rules for different courses, I'm in DIT and everyone I've come across in both TCD and DIT had to have it hard bound.

• Advertisement

Didn't realise they had different rules for different courses, I'm in DIT and everyone I've come across in both TCD and DIT had to have it hard bound.

Had the opposite experience in TCD - never heard of any undergrads needing hard binding. I guess it varies.

*opens popcorn

Gae wrote: »
    Had the opposite experience in TCD - never heard of any undergrads needing hard binding. I guess it varies.

Yep, suppose it does. Martyn you can save your popcorn for another time ;)

Yep, suppose it does. Martyn you can save your popcorn for another time ;)

Forgot this wasn't after hours.

Apperently we can't get them printed same day this week that they're very busy and it'll take 2 days. This could cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

I'm afraid I'm in Dit & this is for an undergrad & I have to submit three hardbound copies as well as it on a disc.

What about reads? Do they do hardback binding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

I've used the Thesis Centre in Dublin and Thomas Carroll in Waterford, and a place in Dungarvan, Co Waterford too for hard binding.

The best by a distance was Thomas Carroll. Not sure if he does it by delivery or if you've the time for him. The Thesis centre is also good, very good in fact.

I'm currently working for a printshop at present and we do spiral binds but to be honest, you'd be better off getting it done right as it'll look a lot better in 4 or 5 years time when/if you look back over your copy.

One of the Cork colleges accepts spiral binds for their PHD students. I think it's UCC (I'd have to double check), as we would get a fair few of them at this time of the year.

Go for the Thesis Centre is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

reads only do soft binding, you could get your printing done there. They have an email service and it might save you a bit of time. I got my PhD thesis bound recently by Duffys Bookbinders and have no complaints. As someone else said they charge €22 a copy for 3+ copies, but they do have an express service too. No idea how much that is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I just dropped mine into Duffys an hour ago, got it printed in Reads. Duffy's do a 4 hour express service for an extra €8.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I printed my own thesis (3 copies) and then got them bound at the thesis centre on camden st. I baught a ream 100grm high grade paper (think it was around €8) and printed 3 copies of my 130 page thesis and got all 3 soft bound for €18. I had friends who paid nearly €90 for a thesis of similar size and 3 copies bound and printed.
    I used my Epson printer with cheap ink cartridges and it was fine, I'd highly reccomend doing so if you have a printer that runs on cheap compatibles (I set my printer to print "photo" quality as well meaning the quality was good)

Nick

Was tight for time, so I got the 5 hour printing and binding service from The thesis centre on Camden Street, One Hard Bound and Two Soft bound cost €84. Had about 80 pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Hi all,

I got sent mine in on Tuesday on a 48hr service; I got three hardbacks and one soft copy. It all came to €139 in the Thesis Centre. I have to say though the staff are excellent very helpful. Well worth the money!

Candy19

Had a disaster saving a final draft and spent all night trying to put it right. Emailed it to the thesis centre at about 13:15 and picked up 3 copies (1 hard bound, 2 soft bound) at about 15:45. For €80 odd you can't go wrong (I was in a bit of a pickle).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

I got mine done on Seville Terrace, Dublin 3. I want to say it was called Duffy's but I am not certain. They were reasonable but you have to print the pages yourself.

ihsb wrote: »
    I got mine done on Seville Terrace, Dublin 3. I want to say it was called Duffy's but I am not certain. They were reasonable but you have to print the pages yourself.

Yep, thats Duffys, its good value, but if youre in a hurry, printing it yourself is a bit of a pain.

Advertisement