Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mature code nursing written assessment 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 siobhan c

sarahk8 wrote: »
    yea i have but didn't pass becuause my score for j.s was 42.56 :(
    that is so unfair, cant believe they would do that, id be rage'n!!! :mad: i passed but wasnt a great score so will have to do test again next year aswell!! id love to know how many have applied to LYIT cause i havent really seen too many on here and on the fb page who'v applied, just round 2 or 3...........

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sarahk8

siobhan c wrote: »
    that is so unfair, cant believe they would do that, id be rage'n!!! :mad: i passed but wasnt a great score so will have to do test again next year aswell!! id love to know how many have applied to LYIT cause i havent really seen too many on here and on the fb page who'v applied, just round 2 or 3...........

i know i probably wouldn't of gotten anything anyway coz my score is only like 203...still at least i would have some kind of chance with a pass.

i haven't heard of many applying either, and i didn't really meet any donegal people compared to last year, there were loads sitting around me... but i had the 9 am exam so could of been at a later exam if there was one. good luck with yours anyways hopefully you get a place...im sure ur marks are grand

sarahk8 wrote: »
    i know i probably wouldn't of gotten anything anyway coz my score is only like 203...still at least i would have some kind of chance with a pass.

i haven't heard of many applying either, and i didn't really meet any donegal people compared to last year, there were loads sitting around me... but i had the 9 am exam so could of been at a later exam if there was one. good luck with yours anyways hopefully you get a place...im sure ur marks are grand
    thanks, but i only got 208 so not holding my breath on getting offered a place!!! aaah well!!! i was at the 9 am one aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sarahk8

thanks, but i only got 208 so not holding my breath on getting offered a place!!! aaah well!!! i was at the 9 am one aswell!

were ya i must of just been in a dif section so. ah ya never know... no one knows whats gona happen til july, but be good to know how many applied to letterkenny...give ya some kinda idea where ya stood

• Registered Users Posts: 1 James81

I applied to LYIT but it's down the list a bit, I had to apply to St Angelas Sligo for first choice as I did a part time course there, subjects studied was Sociology, Philosophy, Biology & Nursing. On top of that, I did a FETAC Level 5 in Healthcare Support. I had athlone IT down for 2nd place, but I have now changed this to castlebar. I basically covered all the 10 choices on the CAO to Sligo, castlebar, Athlone and Letterkenny. I had to keep my options opened. I really like to study Psy Nursing. I got 231 points from the mature code assessment, however I am not sure that it will be enough. Looking at the stats I have a chance but it all depends on how others did and where I am placed on the merit list. so fingers crossed until July. The waiting is probably the worst thing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Marcxx77

I applied to lyit also, got 228 points and I'm hoping with a bit (alot) of luck that might be enough because it's the only place I've applied due to having kids etc!! The next 6 weeks are going to drag!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Louth1

Hi all,has anyone applied to dundalk? Ive applied to do general, phys and ID nursing. I only got 219 points, don't think it will be enough points to secure a place. i applied to dublin also.Im unable to go too far.Last years points for phys was 216 and for ID was 213 in dundalk.Roll on july! good luck to everyone in July.

Marcxx77 wrote: »
    I applied to lyit also, got 228 points and I'm hoping with a bit (alot) of luck that might be enough because it's the only place I've applied due to having kids etc!! The next 6 weeks are going to drag!
    well done to you and james81, you both have a really really good chance!!! :)
    im the same, i could only apply to LYIT cause of having 2 kids, iv an interview in 2 weeks time for a access course so fingers crossed i get that!!! best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cat87

Any one else applying for midwifery in Trinity?? I got 246 and have TCD as my first choice..

• Registered Users Posts: 36 freddieelmo

Hey Cat, I applied there for my first choice too... got 244 :D

• Advertisement

cat87 wrote: »
    Any one else applying for midwifery in Trinity?? I got 246 and have TCD as my first choice..

Aww cool :) I'm so excited and I haven't even got a place yet! Which hospital would you pick? I think I'd go with Rothunda.. SO shocked with my results I never thought I'd stand a chance! Are you living in Dublin already?

cat87 wrote: »
    Aww cool :) I'm so excited and I haven't even got a place yet! Which hospital would you pick? I think I'd go with Rothunda.. SO shocked with my results I never thought I'd stand a chance! Are you living in Dublin already?

Em I think I would pick the Coombe my sister has had her 3 babies there and a couple of friends too and they have said the staff are amazing. yeah I failed very badly last year , well in the skills experience section only so I was definately over the moon with that result , just hope it gets me one of my choices :) ... yeah I live in dublin , originally from Palmerstown. Where are you living

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mims1711

I got 231 and have applied to all the Dublin colleges do I have a chance of an offer?!!!!:rolleyes:

Em I think I would pick the Coombe my sister has had her 3 babies there and a couple of friends too and they have said the staff are amazing. yeah I failed very badly last year , well in the skills experience section only so I was definately over the moon with that result , just hope it gets me one of my choices :) ... yeah I live in dublin , originally from Palmerstown. Where are you living

I'm sure we should be grand, we're ahead of the final marks last year, fingers crossed. Aww that's great, this is my first year applying, I applied for the UK as well, I got a place there for adult nursing, it's 3years there and then was going to do an extra year for children's or midwifery.. but am so delighted I'm in with a chance here to go for straight children's nursing or midwifery.. It would be great not to have to move away, way too much stress!! I'm kinda unsure which one to put first I keep changing my mind, I think midwifery is the one for me though, it just seems like an amazing career. Thank god we've another month to change our minds. I'm from the midlands so I'll move to Dublin if i get a place on a course!

Mims1711 wrote: »
    I got 231 and have applied to all the Dublin colleges do I have a chance of an offer?!!!!:rolleyes:

Hi Mims 1711!

231 is a great mark, did you have a look at the cao points for last year, a lot of the points for Dublin are under 231 which course are you going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gillybally

Cat,

Was the application process hard for uk??? Apparently the courses are excellent in UK. I am going to apply next year if i dont get anything here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mims1711

Hi Cat, I want general nursing and Trinity is my first choice I'm a mother of 3 and can commute to Trinity - Luas At City West and Tallaght or Naas Hospital as I live in Blessington. I hope it's enough to get in It all depends on how many candidates got higher scores than me!!!! :(

Gillybally wrote: »
    Cat,

Was the application process hard for uk??? Apparently the courses are excellent in UK. I am going to apply next year if i dont get anything here.

Hi Gillybally

I only applied as a back up if i didn't get a place here. You apply through UCAS, I applied before the January deadline. Nursing and midwifery is all interview there, some colleges have small tests as well. I got an interview at Canterbury and decided to go for it, everyone was so nice, the city was gorgeous and the uni was nice. They explained the whole course before the interview, the interview was fine, no test or anything, and I found out a few weeks later I got in. I got 2 more interviews for London and Edinburgh after that but decided not to go for those as Canterbury was so nice and there's lots of Irish there. The London Uni interview includes a test before the interview they sent a sample test and it seemed very easy, very simple English and maths, the test is for everyone even the school leavers.

Will you be going on your leaving cert? I applied with my leaving results, I didn't do a Fetac pre nursing course but apparently they snap people up with that. I wanted to do one but left it too late and all the places were filled.

they also have Nursing courses that start in April and March in some Unis so that would be worth a look at! Make sure your personal statement is good too, beacause a lot of the decision is based on that. I would recommend applying to Canterbury too :)

Mims1711 wrote: »
    Hi Cat, I want general nursing and Trinity is my first choice I'm a mother of 3 and can commute to Trinity - Luas At City West and Tallaght or Naas Hospital as I live in Blessington. I hope it's enough to get in It all depends on how many candidates got higher scores than me!!!! :(

Did you have a look at the points on the CAO website? Last year the points were 221 for General in Trinity :) so you're in with a good chance!! Don't worry, I'm fretting too, I want midwifery or Children and gen at Trinity and I'm worried I won't get a place too, but hopefully all will work out! Time is going to fly hopefully, I just can't wait for the CAO offers to come out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gillybally

Thanks for that Cat. I wont be going on leaving cert, I presume you need a certain amount of points in LC for over there too? I passed my leaving but didnt get many points as i did all pass subjects.

I am going to look at application this week. Have you decided if you are going to take it or do C&G over here?

• Advertisement

Gillybally wrote: »
    Thanks for that Cat. I wont be going on leaving cert, I presume you need a certain amount of points in LC for over there too? I passed my leaving but didnt get many points as i did all pass subjects.

I am going to look at application this week. Have you decided if you are going to take it or do C&G over here?

No not a certain amount of points, it's like Cs or Bs at honours level depending on the college, they'll have the entry requirements on their websites.. or else they'll accept the fetac pre nursing course, loads of people get in through that too, maybe some volunteer work or placements too. I'm working with kids at the moment, so I talked about that. It is competitive in the UK too! But the interview was a hell of a lot easier than the mature test in April, I was so stressed over that! How did you get on with the test?

I really hope to get a place here, first choice is Midwifery in TCD then C&G. I don't want to leave Ireland, but if I don't get a place here then it will be my only option!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 loulouangela88

hi Cat87
    I have after been accepted to canterbury university aswel for midwifery, reali unsure about the move. i did it as a back up. now jus waiting to see if it got in here.

hi Cat87
    I have after been accepted to canterbury university aswel for midwifery, reali unsure about the move. i did it as a back up. now jus waiting to see if it got in here.

Hiya loulouangela

Yeah I applied to the UK as a back up too :) Canterbury is so nice and the uni seems great, what did you think of it? But yeah I would prefer to study in Ireland. What did you score in the written assessment? Where have you applied for here?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MzMollz

Anyone a mature applicants around that dont have kids and maybe facing a move? Finding being able to talk to people going through this aswell really helps but its just the thought of setting up somewhere else (and as a mature student) is niggling at me. I remember 1st year!! Too well!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 coppercap

achmairt wrote: »
    I got no email at all for an interview for mature nursing and I have seven years experience. Does this mean that I won't get called at all. I will be devastated if this is so....

I just saw this post now. it seems that the notification of results wasn't the only 'cock up' by public jobs. As i received 2 emails one with my name & the other for a Siobhan Shortt. I phoned to tell them so I hope Siobhan got notification in the end, although it seems that not everyone did which is a disgrace as they will now have to wait until next year through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

coppercap wrote: »
    I just saw this post now. it seems that the notification of results wasn't the only 'cock up' by public jobs. As i received 2 emails one with my name & the other for a Siobhan Shortt. I phoned to tell them so I hope Siobhan got notification in the end, although it seems that not everyone did which is a disgrace as they will now have to wait until next year through no fault of their own.

This is exactly what happened to me. I got Elaine Brennan's email and I forwarded it back to them. They told me to ignore it but I got no email after that. They won't budge now as 'it was up to me to make sure I got an email'. They won't admit their mistake either. I now have to wait a year scratching my arse....

achmairt wrote: »
    This is exactly what happened to me. I got Elaine Brennan's email and I forwarded it back to them. They told me to ignore it but I got no email after that. They won't budge now as 'it was up to me to make sure I got an email'. They won't admit their mistake either. I now have to wait a year scratching my arse....
    everybody seemed to have got an email from them for someone else!! i got one too for a stephan something, strange..........

Nearly there........ only 2 more days until first round ... god the nerves :D;)

best of luck everyone!! :) x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 sarah012

Good luck to everyone.

Does anyone know do you have to wait until you are offered a place before you can apply for back to education allowance or can you apply straight away? I will only be able to do nursing if i can get back to education allowance.

Any advice/comments appreciated.

Fingers crossed ye will all get what ye want.

Advertisement