Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make up lessons

• 15-04-2012 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Im looking for some advice here. To start off, I wear make up every day. I had terrible skin as a teen and started out with a friend bringing me into Roches for done concealer... From there.. And I'm now 29, I've experimented with lots of make up, but it's pretty much exactly the same thing I have been doing for years. My mum never woke make up and I had no sisters/girlie mates growing up which I guess made an impact..

My daily routine is primer/foundation applied with a body shop make up brush, bobbi brown correction and concealer to cover terrible dark circles, but of light briwn eyeshadow, line of black kohl on top lids with little flick, mascara then on top of curved lashes. For night time... I stick in my contacts and maybe add highlighter via benefit eye bright or mac red lippy.

I'm genuinely so bored of the look. I've trawled thru YouTube videos and this forum has been a lifesaver but I'm 29 now, got lines and would love love love for once to look in the mirror and feel i look good make up wise.

I haven't got much money to spend and I tend to use it on the corrector and mascara. Colours like green etc look dreadful around my eyes and I'm conscious anyway as I have little eyes!

I'm debating going into bobbi brown or somewhere and booking in for one of their longer lessons ( I've been in the past for them to do an eye, check a foundation and I know that's all very quick and purchase oriented.) would anyone advise me on what I should or could do? I'm quite clueless but just realised this morn I have the same make up routine for the past ten years!!!!

Apologies for the long post, I'm a bit fed up!
    Any advice much appreciated x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

In terms of experimenting with some new looks, some nice lipglosses and a new eyeshadow palette could do wonders for you!

Naked 2 by Urban Decay is lovely, or you could try one of the Sleek palettes!

L'Oreal do lovely lipglosses in a whole host of shades which could really brighten up your look!

Also check out Maybelline's lovely cream blushes which you can apply with your fingers, they're lovely!

If you feel you need a lesson, defo go and invest in a lesson or book a short course in one of the make up academies to help learn a few new skills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Great advice, thank you! I'd love to do a course at some stage. A little worried that if I book in at a make up coUnter they will just rush me or pressure me! Think I just need a new look :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I went to a thing in Brown Thomas organised by Mac. It was a proper class with about 10 other people at it. It was in a room above BTs. They had two international make up artists and two models. They did two looks, a day and an evening.

It was broken up so that they did a few steps then you did a few steps on yourself. You had a huge range of Mac products in front of you and a mirror of course. There were about 6 Mac girls who floated around and recommended how the look could be changed to look good on your colouring and facial shape, by using different products which kept the general integrity of the look.

You could also ask general questions and get advice on whatever you wanted

It cost 60 euro but it was fully redeemable against products. I didn't feel any pressure to buy stuff, I suppose I had already handed over the 60 when booking so they knew I was buying at least that much!

It was really well organised and one of the most useful things I've done.

I found it by just seeing an ad on the counter in there one day.

I also did an 8 week evening class a few years ago. The place has shut down now. It was ok but not amazing. It wasn't very personalised and seemed to focus more on doing it on other people than on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lizerb23

i am a make up artist, the main thing about a good look is the foundation, if your foundation looks good then your half way there , a really good flawless foundation is estee lauder double wear its worth the buy as it last for ages you only need a tiny bit, a nice blush to highlight cheek bones,or bronzer , and you can never go wrong with a neutral eye pallete like browns and greys they really suit everyone and are very flattering and they dont have to be really dear either, but before you put your eyeshadow on always put a highlighter (just a shimmering white colour) all over your eye you can get them cheap like there is one in new look which is cheap and really good, also what makes your face really stand out and look fab is your eyebrows, i use a brown matte eye shadow for my eyebrows with just an eyebrow brush,... i hope this helps and those you tube videos are good too some of them.... :)

Advertisement