Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on new dog

• 15-04-2012 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

It's not so much an issue, but im looking into getting another dog, it's got to be female as I already have a female dog, she's a rescue and has all the attributes of a jack Russel, except she's taller than usual.
    I also have an Congo African grey, having my current dog and parrot isn't a huge issue, they know to keep away from each other and don't fight.

I've minded a few dogs, all small breeds as they are older so it's hard to know their reaction to the parrot, the bichon frise and westy immediately wanted to eat the parrot. It was a nightmare trying to keep them separate.

My dog is 9 and needs a buddy, she gets lonely when the dogs im minding go home.

Does anyone have any suggestions or pros and cons to the breeds I've been considering,

Shih Tzu,
    Japanese Spitz,
    Maltese,
    Pug

Only real boundaries im sticking to are:
    Female,

Small sized, my back wouldn't be big enough for a large dog and I don't want something thats going to be intimidating my dog,

A breed that's not yappy (the bichon just doesn't stop barking)

Im open to older dogs, not just pups. but I think with the parrot a puppy would be easier to introduce, last thing I want is to get a 2/3 year old and it to try kill the parrot. It would have to go if that was the case.

I know all dogs are different and a breed doesn't define a dogs attitude, my jack Russel x used to chase after everything that moved out the back until I got the parrot, now she doesn't bother with birds, they are used to each other, so I want to be careful and integrate another dog.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Have you looked into rescues? There are loads of unwanted, small, female dogs in rescues around the counrty that would make great pets and companions. Quite a lot of rescues will test their dogs with other dogs, cats etc. before homing them so you will know what kind of personality the dog has before you bring it home (that is, if the dog is yappy, gets on with other female dogs etc.) and you could introduce the two dogs before you make up your mind. Plus, many come neutered, vaccinated, wormed etc. which is always a bonus! Because you are not set on a certain breed and your only limitations are gender, looking into rescues would be a really good idea for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

bfocusd wrote: »
    It's not so much an issue, but im looking into getting another dog, it's got to be female as I already have a female dog, she's a rescue and has all the attributes of a jack Russel, except she's taller than usual.
    I also have an Congo African grey, having my current dog and parrot isn't a huge issue, they know to keep away from each other and don't fight.

I've minded a few dogs, all small breeds as they are older so it's hard to know their reaction to the parrot, the bichon frise and westy immediately wanted to eat the parrot. It was a nightmare trying to keep them separate.

My dog is 9 and needs a buddy, she gets lonely when the dogs im minding go home.

Does anyone have any suggestions or pros and cons to the breeds I've been considering,

Shih Tzu,
    Japanese Spitz,
    Maltese,
    Pug

Only real boundaries im sticking to are:
    Female,

Small sized, my back wouldn't be big enough for a large dog and I don't want something thats going to be intimidating my dog,

A breed that's not yappy (the bichon just doesn't stop barking)

Im open to older dogs, not just pups. but I think with the parrot a puppy would be easier to introduce, last thing I want is to get a 2/3 year old and it to try kill the parrot. It would have to go if that was the case.

I know all dogs are different and a breed doesn't define a dogs attitude, my jack Russel x used to chase after everything that moved out the back until I got the parrot, now she doesn't bother with birds, they are used to each other, so I want to be careful and integrate another dog.

Bfocused, would you consider getting another rescue dog? It's just a rescue may be able to match your needs to a particular dog. In my experience sometimes "so called" breed traits don't exist. I have 3 Labrador retrievers and only 1 retrieves. 1 has a high prey drive the other two couldn't care less. Some people may tell you they have a bichon who is so quiet? If you do go doen the rescue route I would keep an open mind on the breed but would focus on the personality. How is your dog with puppies? Its just that I also have a 9 year old dog, she is great with other dogs but would not fancy a puppy moving in as she likes to just potter around and a quiet life and i dont think would tolerate a puppy annoying her (which is food for thought whichever route you decide to go)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

She's fine with all dogs and pups, once a dog did startle her it was an elderly st Bernard, it was actually quite funny, usually she greets other dogs and is playful but when she seen the size of it, she stood dead still and didn't blink till it passed. Then she went on with her walk as usual, but you could see her reaction was like.. What is that!? Don't move and it wont eat me.. Haha
    The one other dog she had a problem with was a Chihuahua that was being vicious towards her, she ran away, not a vicious bone in her, she'll only scare wild birds and mice etc.

I know a rescue would be best to give a dog another chance, thing is, it's difficult to find out if the dogs vicious towards parrots, budgies are completely different, the parrot talks to the dog and can be quite vicious too. A home visit also could be awkward as the parrot isn't the most inviting, the welfare of the dog is priority and the parrot can give her fair share too, my dog wont go near her as they have had their own little bursts of frustration.

A friend of mine works in a rescue and did agree it would be tough, im not against a rescue, I would prefer to go that route, too many dogs are abandoned.

Does anyone have names of any adoption sites, I've looked on a couple, I don't really want to visit the kennels until I have an idea of a possible dog to adopt, I'd want to adopt everything, im a softy like that when they are looking for a home..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Pm sent re adoption/rescue sites :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

An idea would be to foster a dog and if they all got on you could keep her? A lot of rescues would be happy to have someone foster and it will give you a better idea of what the dogs like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I didn't think you could keep the dog if you were fostering it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

bfocusd wrote: »
    I didn't think you could keep the dog if you were fostering it?

I did and I know loads of failed fosters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

TillyGirl wrote: »

Guilty.
    It's a special club to be part of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    TillyGirl wrote: »

Guilty.
    It's a special club to be part of!

Me three! This is why I don't foster anymore!

Advertisement