Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is your solution?

• 15-04-2012 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been following discussions on here for a while. I haven't posted too much. Anytime anything in relation to tax/charges/government come up for discussion come up I see a plethora of:

1) All politicians are evil.If they come to my door looking for a vote, I'm gonna batter them.
    2) It wasn't my fault. I never got anything from the "celtic tiger" so why should I pay.
    3) They are trying to force us to pay to cover the gambling (banking) debts of some mysterious elite. If we refused to pay these debts, we'd be fine.
    4) All services that I use should be free. Ones that I don't use are obviously being used by the rich people. They should pay for them.
    5) The public sector/teacher/guards are overpaid/bloated/inefficient. They should be improved, yet there should be no cutbacks
    6) Go back to the punt. Devalue it and then we'd all be rich again. (particularly idiotic in my opinion)
    7) "Bankers" are evil. (However I don't quite understand who "Bankers" are or how many of them there are. But from reading the posts here, one would get the impression that if we got rid of them, or killed them, we'd be back to the happy days again.)

The thing about the constant attacking of politicians really annoys me. These people may be incompetant, but it's the voters who put them in. It is probably the vicious attitude of the general rabble that stop more competent people from standing. I reckon that most of them are trying to do at least some good. Some probably like the "being in charge" or "being in the limelight" aspect, but most probably still are trying to do what they think is right within their constraints.

I have no politican affiliation of any sort. I'd categorise myself as slightly left of centre as regards social issues, but slightly right of centre as regards fiscal and financial things. I'd try to be practical about things but at the same time you also have to try to help the people who fall between the cracks. But you should try to do that without letting lazy people take advantage. You should encourage and reward people that work hard without giving them too much power. Obviosly everyone thinks they work hard, but I honestly know a lot of people who work harder than me, and I know a lot who try less than me.

So basically, if you were put in charge for a week and given the opportunity to make any changes you wanted, what would you do? Only intelligent and reasonable answers please. None of this "
    I'd just have to tell Merkel and the Troika to f***k off and we'd all be grand then" or "I'd just make the rich/bankers/politicians pay their share of tax and then the rest of us would be fine". i.e you have to think more than one step into the future!

For example, I recall listening to the Gerry Adams interview where he claimed he'd take unilateral action against the Troika. The extreme left wing harp on about "x amount of billions owned by the top 5%" but a large proportion of that is probably not liquid. It might be in the form of property or business. To monetise it, it would have to be sold to someone else. Eventually it would need to be sold to the outsiders to bring money into the country. So when I hear SF and extreme left saying stuff like this, the logical extension and final step in such a process is not "redistribute wealth to the poor" (a la Zimbabwean style where you just destroy the country... but at least there are no more wealthy.....but everyone is far far poorer) but more of a "sieze their assets and sell the countryto outsiders:" (Brits?) bit by bit. As I said, I'm fiscally conservative and those people are entitled to their opinions, but they should spell out the consequences, or expected consequences, of those decisions.

Would I want to be a politician? - No. Because even though I would want to be fair and I would honestly try my best, and with good intentions, to serve the people, I know that there would be anonymous people on message boards calling me stupid or threatening what they would do to me if I landed at their door. Because it is impossible to have an efficient and fully functioning system where everyone is happy unless you are just building up problems for the person coming after you to sort. I think people should have more repect for the people who do stand for election and try to make difficult choices. It is easy to shout and pontificate when you are an independent because you never have to actually do what you propose, and thus never have to deal with the consequences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOh-rpvjYg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

mmm I'm like missing 4 minutes or so of my life.....

can i have it back ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

After Hours is turning into the Politics forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I don't have one. Then again I never claimed to. They did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My solution to a lot of problems would be napalm if I had some... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

yore wrote: »
    What is your solution?

1 part Mi-Wadi......... 10 parts water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Snowie wrote: »
    mmm I'm like missing 4 minutes or so of my life.....

can i have it back ?

Sorry for taking up valuable time that you could have put to better use reading about whether fellas wipe their mickeys after they go to the toilet etc. You could have saved a few of those seconds by not bothering to type in a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Shorter OPs would greatly help.

the_syco wrote: »

That's exactly the point. People complain and rabble-rouse without thinking about an alternative. You may be trying to be witty or funny with your response, or you may actually believe that that would be a solution. Who would you napalm? "Bankers", "politicians". Perhaps you would set up "camps" where you could "concentrate" the people that you blame for the current bad state of the economy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I have no politican affiliation of any sort. I'd categorise myself as slightly left of centre as regards social issues, but slightly right of centre as regards fiscal and financial things.
    Careful now, that sort of polarisation of political opinion is the first step towards Libertarianism :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Can we move to a new AH forum please, this one is broken beyond repair.

• Advertisement

Nevore wrote: »
    I don't have one. Then again I never claimed to. They did

Is the attitude then "I don't attempt to propose a solution. Therefore I am a good innocent person. However if you attempt to propose one to get us out of this, you are evil and/or incompetant"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

the_syco wrote: »

The mornings are the best time for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'd nationalize everything. I'd even nationalize the supermarkets.

EVERYTHING.

mikom wrote: »

That's a dilution. Not a solution.
    Mi-Wadi on it's own is a solution. so it's a dilution of a solution!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Indeed,

1 sachet of Dioralyte in 250mls of warm water then.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I have no politican affiliation of any sort. I'd categorise myself as slightly left of centre as regards social issues, but slightly right of centre as regards fiscal and financial things.
    Careful now, that sort of polarisation of political opinion is the first step towards Libertarianism :pac:

It's got nothing to do with Libertarianism. It was simply a statement that I have no political affiliation, but I did give where I would lie on the spectrum. And I don't think that "slightly right of centre as regards fiscal and financial" would be compatible with my understanding of Libertarianism :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Its looking hopeless, to much the country is loaded with to much personal, commercial and sovereign debt. The plus side is our exports, but the WTO predict an international reduction of that next year.

There is no solution, we can't dump the euro, we can't have debt forgiveness the figures are to big and we can't boost our exports. The only thing we can all do is pay more taxes and get poorer.

We will need another bail out and we will eventually default. We are soon to be Greece.

duplicate post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

The whole thing is a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Liquid in a liquid is a solution.
    God....... you take the fun out of everything.
    Naomi00 wrote: »

The anti-drugs girl is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I always have a good laugh at the type of people you outlined at the start of your post OP. Back in the good old days they were all kissing berties arse while he lined his pockets with their taxes because times were good and the government were reducing taxes when they should have been increasing them. But now the truth has been revealed and they all hate the previous gov with a fiery passion that burns deep in their souls!

Now we have a government that are far from perfect and have been left with one hell of mess to clean up but at least they are honest and are trying to get this country back on track and what do they get? Dogs abuse at every turn from the same people who voted them in and who voted for Fianna Fail in 2007. So many people seem to live a dream world where austerity can be avoided and the current government are increasing taxes and cutting services purely because they enjoy watching us suffer. Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Only engineers/mathamaticians/scientists etc are allowed near government money.

Problem solved.

I'd nationalize everything. I'd even nationalize the supermarkets.

EVERYTHING.

Would you be happy for the state to sieze all of your posessions so? You should have moved to Cuba before they allowed for people to own property!

Or again, is it just "nationalize everything belonging to people that have more than me"?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Germany has the last word on this or as they like to call it

ze final solution.

Naomi00 wrote: »

Yes, but it's a solution without having to dilute it first. As I said, it's a dilution of a solution. Adding 10 parts water does not make it a solution. It was already a solution.

Plus I wouldn't want to be drinking mi-wadi in their house. Must be a right stingy **** to be using a 1:10 dilution ;) . You'd probably get more blackcurrant flavour from drinking your own p1$$. Although there are double strength dilutes now, but I don't think they are available for Mi-Wadi. Maybe it's the economic state of the country and they have no choice..... I blame the "bankers/politicians/etc"

That response good enough for the AH people out there complaining :P

Sorry for taking up valuable time that you could have put to better use reading about whether fellas wipe their mickeys after they go to the toilet etc. You could have saved a few of those seconds by not bothering to type in a response.

Im sorry i didn't realize you had sand in your Man/vagina :rolleyes:

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Germany has the last word on this or as they like to call it

ze final solution.

I alluded to certain aspects of German history in a precious post but nobody seems to have picked up on it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

mikom wrote: »

I prefer a 1 in 4 solution, nice and sweet.

1 in 10 and your only putting colour on the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

Hi all,

I've been following discussions on here for a while. I haven't posted too much. Anytime anything in relation to tax/charges/government come up for discussion come up I see a plethora of:

1) All politicians are evil.If they come to my door looking for a vote, I'm gonna batter them.
    2) It wasn't my fault. I never got anything from the "celtic tiger" so why should I pay.
    3) They are trying to force us to pay to cover the gambling (banking) debts of some mysterious elite. If we refused to pay these debts, we'd be fine.
    4) All services that I use should be free. Ones that I don't use are obviously being used by the rich people. They should pay for them.
    5) The public sector/teacher/guards are overpaid/bloated/inefficient. They should be improved, yet there should be no cutbacks
    6) Go back to the punt. Devalue it and then we'd all be rich again. (particularly idiotic in my opinion)
    7) "Bankers" are evil. (However I don't quite understand who "Bankers" are or how many of them there are. But from reading the posts here, one would get the impression that if we got rid of them, or killed them, we'd be back to the happy days again.)

The thing about the constant attacking of politicians really annoys me. These people may be incompetant, but it's the voters who put them in. It is probably the vicious attitude of the general rabble that stop more competent people from standing. I reckon that most of them are trying to do at least some good. Some probably like the "being in charge" or "being in the limelight" aspect, but most probably still are trying to do what they think is right within their constraints.

I have no politican affiliation of any sort. I'd categorise myself as slightly left of centre as regards social issues, but slightly right of centre as regards fiscal and financial things. I'd try to be practical about things but at the same time you also have to try to help the people who fall between the cracks. But you should try to do that without letting lazy people take advantage. You should encourage and reward people that work hard without giving them too much power. Obviosly everyone thinks they work hard, but I honestly know a lot of people who work harder than me, and I know a lot who try less than me.

So basically, if you were put in charge for a week and given the opportunity to make any changes you wanted, what would you do? Only intelligent and reasonable answers please. None of this "
    I'd just have to tell Merkel and the Troika to f***k off and we'd all be grand then" or "I'd just make the rich/bankers/politicians pay their share of tax and then the rest of us would be fine". i.e you have to think more than one step into the future!

For example, I recall listening to the Gerry Adams interview where he claimed he'd take unilateral action against the Troika. The extreme left wing harp on about "x amount of billions owned by the top 5%" but a large proportion of that is probably not liquid. It might be in the form of property or business. To monetise it, it would have to be sold to someone else. Eventually it would need to be sold to the outsiders to bring money into the country. So when I hear SF and extreme left saying stuff like this, the logical extension and final step in such a process is not "redistribute wealth to the poor" (a la Zimbabwean style where you just destroy the country... but at least there are no more wealthy.....but everyone is far far poorer) but more of a "sieze their assets and sell the countryto outsiders:" (Brits?) bit by bit. As I said, I'm fiscally conservative and those people are entitled to their opinions, but they should spell out the consequences, or expected consequences, of those decisions.

Would I want to be a politician? - No. Because even though I would want to be fair and I would honestly try my best, and with good intentions, to serve the people, I know that there would be anonymous people on message boards calling me stupid or threatening what they would do to me if I landed at their door. Because it is impossible to have an efficient and fully functioning system where everyone is happy unless you are just building up problems for the person coming after you to sort. I think people should have more repect for the people who do stand for election and try to make difficult choices. It is easy to shout and pontificate when you are an independent because you never have to actually do what you propose, and thus never have to deal with the consequences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOh-rpvjYg

Wow, that post is a whole load of hot air.

What would YOU do? You've proposed nothing.

• Advertisement

Snowie wrote: »
    Im sorry i didn't realize you had sand in your Man/vagina :rolleyes:

There's another one there with a title about hair removing cream.
    You should enjoy that.

Go off now and play with you special friends and leave the grown ups to discuss something.

Here's a tip, if you have nothing to add to a topic...... then don't! It will only make you look stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

There's another one there with a title about hair removing cream.
    You should enjoy that.

Go off now and play with you special friends and leave the grown ups to discuss something.

Here's a tip, if you have nothing to add to a topic...... then don't! It will only make you look stupid

This is After Hours, you expect serious answers?:rolleyes:

Wow, that post is a whole load of hot air.

What would YOU do? You've proposed nothing.

I have not proposed anything because I think that they are doing the best that they can within the constraints under which they are working.

The point is that I'm not attacking them and claiming I know a better, easier, way when clearly I don't. I think they are doing what needs to be done.

Sorry for not spelling it out in black and white, but I thought that it would be easily inferred from the post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I rode yore ma last night.

She was crap in bed - had a fanny as loose as a V-neck jumper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Salt in water, that's a solution.

galwayrush wrote: »
    This is After Hours, you expect serious answers?:rolleyes:

I'm new, it just seems to be the place where people vent the opinions I disagree with. These are the people I wanted to debate with to try to understand the reasonings behind those opinions. There would be no point in looking for a "serious" forum, as those people would not be there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Final solution ftw!

Well done. I guess that makes us even as I rode yours too. I can't comment about her gee though as she only likes it up the arse. She was great though. I guess it makes a difference to the quality of the service when you take pride in your work!

I'm new, it just seems to be the place where people vent the opinions I disagree with. These are the people I wanted to debate with to try to understand the reasonings behind those opinions. There would be no point in looking for a "serious" forum, as those people would not be there!

It's a free for all here at times, you will get some good debate,some funny answers, but also a lot of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

These people may be incompetant, but it's the voters who put them in. It is probably the vicious attitude of the general rabble that stop more competent people from standing. I reckon that most of them are trying to do at least some good. Some probably like the "being in charge" or "being in the limelight" aspect, but most probably still are trying to do what they think is right within their constraints.
    I have not proposed anything because I think that they are doing the best that they can within the constraints under which they are working.

The point is that I'm not attacking them and claiming I know a better, easier, way when clearly I don't. I think they are doing what needs to be done.

Sorry for not spelling it out in black and white, but I thought that it would be easily inferred from the post!

Right. lol

:D did she wiggle about and huff and puff ?

who's making the pop corn ?

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    I always have a good laugh at the type of people you outlined at the start of your post OP. Back in the good old days they were all kissing berties arse while he lined his pockets with their taxes because times were good and the government were reducing taxes when they should have been increasing them. But now the truth has been revealed and they all hate the previous gov with a fiery passion that burns deep in their souls!

Now we have a government that are far from perfect and have been left with one hell of mess to clean up but at least they are honest and are trying to get this country back on track and what do they get? Dogs abuse at every turn from the same people who voted them in and who voted for Fianna Fail in 2007. So many people seem to live a dream world where austerity can be avoided and the current government are increasing taxes and cutting services purely because they enjoy watching us suffer. Rant over.

Thanks for your response. It's a lot more succint than my original post :-). It's nice to know that there are some people out there who can take a step back and see the bigger picture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Despite you addressing this exact stance... Personally, I'd tell Merkel and the Troika to fcuk off, wouldn't need the household charge if we stopped paying so thats gone too.
    I'd also tell Shell to fcuk off in an effort to "think more than one step into the future" I feel Ireland could make better use of our recources than to give them away for free.
    RTE is a little different, I'd tell RTE to go and sh*te, they can sink or swim on their own like every other media provider.

I'm sure it wouldn't help with our financial situation but I feel it would do a lot to improve general moral :)

Right. lol

I'd reckon that most of them are better educated than the majoirty of people here. And while they may have little "real-world" experience such as running a company or even working as a manager for a large organisation, I'd reckon that they are more capable than the average person on the street.

Your attitude is the typical "Those people are idiots. They have stopped me from fulfilling my potential" sh1te.

The question remains, why are you voting for idiots? Or why are you not putting yourself forward for election. It should be easy for you to get elected if your competition is incompetant.
    Is the money they get paid too little? Are you earning more than your local TD in salary in allowances?

No? ... I didn't think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

put a tissue on you tummy so your hairs don't get matted

Peetrik wrote: »
    Despite you addressing this exact stance... Personally, I'd tell Merkel and the Troika to fcuk off, wouldn't need the household charge if we stopped paying so thats gone too.
    I'd also tell Shell to fcuk off in an effort to "think more than one step into the future" I feel Ireland could make better use of our recources than to give them away for free.
    RTE is a little different, I'd tell RTE to go and sh*te, they can sink or swim on their own like every other media provider.

I'm sure it wouldn't help with our financial situation but I feel it would do a lot to improve general moral :)

Well at least you give the proviso that you wouldn't be doing it for financial reasons but for morale reasons. ( I presume you meant morale and not moral) .

Human nature, greed is the problem.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Human nature, greed is the problem.

And it always will be. People only want equality when it means they get more. They don't want it when it means they will get less.

Billions of people live on the starvation line but people in Ireland give out about having a large negative number between their house and their mortgage. It's only a f$c&ing number on a computer system or a piece of paper.They will attack and spit on politicians etc. A sense of perspective is no harm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'd reckon that most of them are better educated than the majoirty of people here. And while they may have little "real-world" experience such as running a company or even working as a manager for a large organisation, I'd reckon that they are more capable than the average person on the street.

Your attitude is the typical "Those people are idiots. They have stopped me from fulfilling my potential" sh1te.

The question remains, why are you voting for idiots? Or why are you not putting yourself forward for election. It should be easy for you to get elected if your competition is incompetant.
    Is the money they get paid too little? Are you earning more than your local TD in salary in allowances?

No? ... I didn't think so!

Your whole viewpoint is a little simplistic to say the least.

Your whole viewpoint is a little simplistic to say the least.

More simplistic than the people who blanketly criticise politicians who have to make decisions with consequences :rolleyes:

Tell me a short list of politicians, currently in power, that you think are competant!

I guess I have to keep my viewpoints simplistic so that people here can understand them....I had more than one complaint about the length of my opening post!

My post was a response to someone who just copied and quoted a previous post of mine, changed a few phrases to bold, and then said "lol" or something nonsensical to that effect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

tl;dr

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement