Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wino In Eyre Square

Options
  • 15-04-2012 7:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

Have seen this Wino bum roaring and shouting around the place for the last few weeks, really aggressive bum who needs to be taken of the street before he hurts someone.
    Anyone else seen him around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Have seen this Wino bum roaring and shouting around the place for the last few weeks, really aggressive bum who needs to be taken of the street before he hurts someone.

Why don't you ring the Gardai?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is it you, jonjo?
    I do think Eyre Square would benefit from a speaker's corner type affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

There is one **** who is lookin for a slap.....he's less than 40 but has a very aggressive streak about him.....seems to use the imperial hotel for bathroom duties.... But in all fairness can any local honestly walk down the steet in Galway without being harassed by some moron of some sort??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

xtradel wrote: »
    There is one **** who is lookin for a slap.....he's less than 40 but has a very aggressive streak about him.....seems to use the imperial hotel for bathroom duties.... But in all fairness can any local honestly walk down the steet in Galway without being harassed by some moron of some sort??
    Yes i can, quite easily!

Jonjo is it the fella about 5'7, short dark receding hair, from Renmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

xtradel wrote: »
    But in all fairness can any local honestly walk down the steet in Galway without being harassed by some moron of some sort??

Yes, quite easily in my experience. With the exception of chuggers. Those you pretty much have to physically brush aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

A few months ago some drunk tried to fight me down Quay Street. With little to no Garda presence in the town, what are ya gonna do really?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's one younger guy who is totally nasty. A woman called the cops on him one day near Freeneys. He's a really nasty piece of work, robs buskers and takes swings at people of either gender. The rest of the winos are harmless enough. One of them, an older man actually has tourettes, so he's not just cursing at you personally!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Wompa1 wrote: »
    A few months ago some drunk tried to fight me down Quay Street. With little to no Garda presence in the town, what are ya gonna do really?
    Fight them.

Fight them.
    Classy as ever.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Classy as ever.:rolleyes:
    Painfully humourless as ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Painfully humourless as ever

Awwwwww, SNAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

seen him yesterday evening when i was walking up shop street with sis. he was completely out of it. arguing with some man outside neactains and then shouting at everyone who was passing him. we couldnt get past him quick enough. havent seen him before but he was definitely very aggressive fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Think I know the guy you mean, saw him being fairly firmly removed from the Occupy Galway drop-in centre one day last week, three guys basically moving him backwards (while he roared and brandished fists) then closing the door with him outside.

Mr justMary says he's been around for ages, though I don't recall seeing him before.

BTW, I like to call them "Fairgreen clients", has a nicer ring to it than "wino". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

JustMary wrote: »
    Think I know the guy you mean, saw him being fairly firmly removed from the Occupy Galway drop-in centre one day last week,

Occupy Galway "drop-in-centre" - whats that? :confused:

I know who my favourite "Fairgreen Client" is though Im not allowed to mention his name on here because people got their keyboards in a twist the last time I referred to him. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Call Joe, he'll sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Know him well...interesting life story..

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

after 8 hours i got through most of the last thread about galway caracters. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055082042&page=36

the most dangerous one and i seen him trying to rob out of a hand bag while walking is the crazy french guy who talks to himself and women in a scary way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Yes i can, quite easily!

Jonjo is it the fella about 5'7, short dark receding hair, from Renmore?

Yeah I think I know the guy you're referring to. I remember chatting to him on a night out about 3 years ago, claimed he used to study medicine. He's an angry little elf alright.

Yeah I think I know the guy you're referring to. I remember chatting to him on a night out about 3 years ago, claimed he used to study medicine. He's an angry little elf alright.
    Which is oddly true, he went on a stag to Amsterdam at some point and that is what set him off, he stayed there for a while apparently and came back a lot worse for wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Bring back Robocop... Our original Dark Knight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

amy85 wrote: »
    seen him yesterday evening when i was walking up shop street with sis. he was completely out of it. arguing with some man outside neactains and then shouting at everyone who was passing him. we couldnt get past him quick enough. havent seen him before but he was definitely very aggressive fella!

I'll try and behave from now on.

rolleyes.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

I've seen him both in Eyre Square and the Arch. Always yelling but I haven't witnessed him getting aggressive.

Slightly off-topic but there's also a busker in town who absolutely does my head in. I swear he spends more time complaining than he does busking - and he's EVERYWHERE.

You go for a coffee and he's there, giving out about the world to somebody. You go for a pint on Quay St or Dominick St and he's there, bull****ting some tourist girls, or loudly expressing his opinion on the state of buskers/people/music in Galway/ireland/the world.

I wish he'd bugger off. He's far worse than a noisy wino.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I think I know the one you're on about. He was at myself and my friends a few weeks back. A sizable group of us were sitting down, and one of the lads took and girl's shoe and was messing. He came over and started telling us off, then pointed to each lad saying "if ya mess wittt her, ya have me ta answer ta!" He then went off, still yelling at us. He was at the other end of the Square still yelling. A Garda even walked by and ignored him.

I f... hate Robo. Sweet Jesus. Just two weeks ago, myself and just a small group were minding our own business and talking. He waddles over with some kind of walkie-talkie and is shouting in to it. Someone is even talking back! Then he comes over all "I'm the new cop in this Town! Hahaha!" and all that craic. He then starts talking to us etc and then he grabs my shoulders and starts shaking me a little and going "Harry Potter [glasses on]... If ya don't shaty out of trouble, I'll be talking you and him down town" or something to that affect. Bloody terrified me.

How on earth are they allowed around Eyre Square, of all places, like that to be fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I think I know the one you're on about. He was at myself and my friends a few weeks back. A sizable group of us were sitting down, and one of the lads took and girl's shoe and was messing. He came over and started telling us off, then pointed to each lad saying "if ya mess wittt her, ya have me ta answer ta!" He then went off, still yelling at us. He was at the other end of the Square still yelling. A Garda even walked by and ignored him.

I f... hate Robo. Sweet Jesus. Just two weeks ago, myself and just a small group were minding our own business and talking. He waddles over with some kind of walkie-talkie and is shouting in to it. Someone is even talking back! Then he comes over all "I'm the new cop in this Town! Hahaha!" and all that craic. He then starts talking to us etc and then he grabs my shoulders and starts shaking me a little and going "Harry Potter [glasses on]... If ya don't shaty out of trouble, I'll be talking you and him down town" or something to that affect. Bloody terrified me.

How on earth are they allowed around Eyre Square, of all places, like that to be fair?

Why would you take that off someone?

Why would you take that off someone?
    I don't care that they're there, so long as they don't interfere with me or my friends - like the two examples I have above. When they do stuff like that, that's when I have a problem. If they drink and stay to themselves, grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't care that they're there, so long as they don't interfere with me or my friends - like the two examples I have above. When they do stuff like that, that's when I have a problem. If they drink and stay to themselves, grand.

Well I'd be the same, as long as they wouldn't bother me but that guy you are on about sounds like a right tool. I'm surprised someone hasn't dropped him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Is this dark haired fella permanently wandering around with a bag and with a Kildare accent?

He's a strangeone, he told my girlfriend that she looks like a rockstar and that I'm prettier than his ex wife. Then he saw the Sympathy For the Devil guy and disappeared down the street to abuse him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... and then he grabs my shoulders and starts shaking me a little and going "Harry Potter [glasses on]... If ya don't shaty out of trouble, I'll be talking you and him down town" or something to that affect. Bloody terrified me.

You need to report that sort of stuff to the guards.

People are allowed to be in any public place, so long as they aren't breaking any laws. Assaulting people is breaking a law, and things can be done (eg there is a certain dwarf is I believe is (maybe was now?) trespassed from a certain department store.

But you need to report it, ideally as it's happening. The guards have cameras and can see pretty much all of Eyre Square and a lot of Shop St, Abbeygate St and Spanish Arch. (And probably more) but unless you call them, they may not be looking at that spot at that time.

I live in town, and have Mill Street's number in my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Are you suggesting that they all be rounded up and locked away for good? most of these people are suffering from mental illness, thats the real failure of the state and society in general. The gardai are sick and tired of arresting them for minor offences and can see the failure of the state at first hand, the judge in fairness has little options available to her, prison governors have more dangerous criminals on their books and release these guys ASAP. So starts the vicious circle again. Only for the staff in the fairgreen and many voluntary services around Galway they would be alot more in your face. There are people just as bad for society walking around in expensive suits!!!

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that they all be rounded up and locked away for good? most of these people are suffering from mental illness, thats the real failure of the state and society in general. The gardai are sick and tired of arresting them for minor offences and can see the failure of the state at first hand, the judge in fairness has little options available to her, prison governors have more dangerous criminals on their books and release these guys ASAP. So starts the vicious circle again. Only for the staff in the fairgreen and many voluntary services around Galway they would be alot more in your face. There are people just as bad for society walking around in expensive suits!!!
    I was merely saying I don't appreciate them interrupting my friends and I. Today, a small group (just three) were quietly drinking in a corner of the Square and they kept to themselves. I don't mind that. But when they start hassling us...

Advertisement