Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wino In Eyre Square

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

In my opinion the the 'winos' etc in Galway are actually twice as interesting as half the twats who sit around giving out about winos. Infact Id rather a conversation with alot of the 'winos' in Galway than half of the people who come to Galway to get pissed for the night, spew supermacks all over the place then bugger off back home going on about what a great spot galway is...
    Anyone has the right to go around shouting at themselves, talking to themselves, walking around in circles if they want, just because it does not fit in with the complete and utter ****e ideal of what is normal and what is not to the common person who gives out about the behaviours of other people, means they should be put away, im sure they will be for the coming extravaganzas such as the volvo etc. The jakeys and winos , beggars and buskers on the street IS Galway... has been for years,, I could list off a good few over the years who are now sorely missed..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

dharma200 wrote: »
    In my opinion the the 'winos' etc in Galway are actually twice as interesting and half the twats who sit around giving out about winos. Infact Id rather a conversation with alot of the 'winos' in Galway than half of the people who come to Galway to get pissed for the night, spew supermacks all over the place then bugger off back home going on about what a great spot galway is...
    Anyone has the right to go around shouting at themselves, talking to themselves, walking around in circles if they want, just because it does not fit in with the complete and utter ****e ideal of what is normal and what is not to the common person who gives out about the behaviours of other people, means they should be put away, im sure they will be for the coming extravaganzas such as the volvo etc. The jakeys and winos , beggars and buskers on the street IS Galway... has been for years,, I could list off a good few over the years who are now sorely missed..
    Maybe you are one of them given the numerous spelling errors, just a thought now! :rolleyes:

Also im not sure walking around in circles talking to ones self will ever get to a stage where its seen as normal so i'd get used to it if i were you, might help with the anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... most of these people are suffering from mental illness, thats the real failure of the state and society in general. ... There are people just as bad for society walking around in expensive suits!!!

I don't even see it as a failure - just a dimension of human existence, like cancer or diabetes or a peanut allergy.

There have always been some people with mental illnesses. Some are amenable to treatments that enable them to live life in a way more in keeping with society's norms, so are pretty hidden. Some aren't. Some don't want to be - they'd rather be drinking on the streets than going to work in suit and spending the day in "hell with fluorescent lighting".

In this country, I've never heard of anyone who genuinely wanted to change but couldn't because there was no help available.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Maybe you are one of them given the numerous spelling errors, just a thought now! :rolleyes:

Also im not sure walking around in circles talking to ones self will ever get to a stage where its seen as normal so i'd get used to it if i were you, might help with the anger.

?? Spelling mistakes, i didnt realise this was a spelling b.... anger? nope not abit.. maybe I am one of them? Yep, Galway winos have great internet access and although their spelling and typing might be a bit dodgy, they always have a great point.. even if it means going around in circles.....

Just a thought :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

JustMary wrote: »
    I don't even see it as a failure - just a dimension of human existence, like cancer or diabetes or a peanut allergy.

Possibly the most glib attitude/points of view regarding mental illness I've ever read.

• Advertisement

dharma200 wrote: »
    ?? Spelling mistakes, i didnt realise this was a spelling b.... anger? nope not abit.. maybe I am one of them? Yep, Galway winos have great internet access and although their spelling and typing might be a bit dodgy, they always have a great point.. even if it means going around in circles.....

Just a thought :rolleyes:
    Wise old heads alright!

There have always been some people with mental illnesses. Some are amenable to treatments that enable them to live life in a way more in keeping with society's norms, so are pretty hidden. Some aren't. Some don't want to be - they'd rather be drinking on the streets than going to work in suit and spending the day in "hell with fluorescent lighting".

In this country, I've never heard of anyone who genuinely wanted to change but couldn't because there was no help available.
    Id agree with all the above but the stigma attached to mental illness in Ireland can put a stop to some looking for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I very much doubt all the alcos going around the streets would have mental health problems. They're just alcohalics who are annoying people.
    My own uncle was a lifelong alco and he could be very annoying as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Alcoholism is an illness too, y'know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

djgaillimh wrote: »
    Alcoholism is an illness too, y'know.

No it's an addiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Seeing as everyone has gone off topic alcoholism is actually defined as a disease. Dependence on alcohol is an addiction.

Back (almost) on topic that busker lad is a mate of mine but he does my head in a lot of the time as well. He is actually a very good singer if with a great knowledge of music if he just stuck to it instead of spouting shlt all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Seeing as everyone has gone off topic alcoholism is actually defined as a disease. Dependence on alcohol is an addiction.

Indeed it is.
    Back (almost) on topic that busker lad is a mate of mine but he does my head in a lot of the time as well. He is actually a very good singer if with a great knowledge of music if he just stuck to it instead of spouting shlt all the time.

Sorry, I always forget that Galway is a small place and everybody knows everybody else. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but like you say, he should maybe focus on playing his music instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Shakti wrote: »
    Possibly the most glib attitude/points of view regarding mental illness I've ever read.

Try living with any of 'em, and you might revise how "glib" it is.

(I mean the serious "nuts can kill me" type of allergy, not just getting a rash, btw.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Try living with any of 'em, and you might revise how "glib" it is.
    (I mean the serious "nuts can kill me" type of allergy, not just getting a rash, btw.)[/QUOTE]

Well thats okay then,
    glib meter overload,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

You lead a sheltered life! Maybe you could offer a solution!

Advertisement