Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Budgie

• 15-04-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭

My brother has a budgie here, which is about 6-7 years old I think. He's generally quite chirpy and active, although he doesn't fly around the house as much as he used to when he was younger. He's quite a nervous bird though.

Anyway, today I noticed that he has his head under his wing, was closing his eyes and was shaking. Usually, he would initally try to avoid you when you went to clip his nails, but today he took no notice at all. Picked him up, and I didn't notice anything wrong but I'm no vet.

Putting him back, he would only sit on the floor of the cage rather than a perch. I've kept him warm today, by putting the cage beside the radiator, and then leaving him on a cushion beside it.

He seems to be rolling around on the ground a bit, but his feet seem ok. Seems to have no energy, and won't/can't fly back to his perch.

We'll take him to a vet tomorrow, but has anyone got any ideas till then?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭kirving

Just an update, the poor bird died a while ago. Kept him warm under a blanket with a hot water bottle and gave him some water but the poor thing didn't last long. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

ah gosh Kevin, I'm sorry to hear that :(
    Maybe you can talk to the vet tomorrow, maybe suss out what happened (if you wanted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Sorry to hear about that, at least he was made comfortable and wasn't alone, it's very hard when a pet passes. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Sorry to hear about your bird. You did the right thing by keeping him warm and providing water etc.
    At least you know you did your bit to make him comfortable in his last hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Sorry to hear of your loss :(

If it's any comfort, when our budgie Mr. Man got sick and had to stay at the vet's where he died, she told us that 6-8 years is a very normal lifespan for a pet budgie. She's lovely btw (Bairbre O'Malley) - sent us a condolence card a few days after he died :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement