Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lame cow

• 15-04-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

I have a cow that calfed about a month ago but 2 weeks ago she became lame. There is a cut in the center of her hoof. Ive tried sprays stockholm tar but nothing seems to be working. shes out since she calfed and is healthy besides. Any suggestions as to what to treat her with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

I have a cow that calfed about a month ago but 2 weeks ago she became lame. There is a cut in the center of her hoof. Ive tried sprays stockholm tar but nothing seems to be working. shes out since she calfed and is healthy besides. Any suggestions as to what to treat her with?
    Stolkholm Tar , do you find it a good healer John ??? I only use it as a fly repellant in summer really. Have you tried an injection of Penstrep or Tetroxy LA , and some sort of spray or cream to heal the cut . Maybe alamaycin spray (blue spray) .??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

isthe foot swollen? alamycin spray and 50cc of penstrep should see her right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Foot not swollen gave her penstrip but no improvement .tried to tie a bag around her foot but she went bezert . mite have to get the vet to have a look at her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Can't you get shoes for cows feet? Rubber ones that is..

Wash it out with disinfectant like hibiscrub.

Is the cut infected? try manuka honey if it is. Won't do any harm as the bees aren't out yet! They tend to want their honey back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

power wash the hoves and spray with linkospecin made up in knapsack sprayer- will kill mortellarrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

whelan1 wrote: »

Sweet Jebus.

Are antibiotics on special offer in LIDL this week?????????

This is crazy crazy advice - first off Razor8 is recommending using amoxycillin twice on a calf with join-ill, and now Whelan1 is sending some poor punter at his cow using pen-strep at two-and-a-half times the dose rate.

Where do all these consumers get the notion that Irish farmers are reckless and clueless about antibiotics, I wonder.......

Pure waste, and madly irresponsible, especially on a public forum, where someone might think it was useful advice, or that this is how farmers routinely treat food animals with drugs.

You must have money to burn Whelan1 if you get only two doses out of a bottle of penstrep. the crazy part about that is that 10 more cc would make 60, and would give a cow a three-day course at the proper rate of 20cc/day for a 500kg cow.

I know I am wasting my time, but if yee keep setting up the skittles, I'll keep bowling, I can't help it.

LostCovey

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

LostCovey wrote: »
    L.C's funny little rant

Whelan never mentioned 50cc per day?

pajero12 wrote: »
    Whelan never mentioned 50cc per day?

Ahhhhhhh I see. Good one Pajero, you have the 4WD engaged tonight, and I am sliding about like a Cortina on an ice rink.

Go on then, tell us how she meant to treat this cow with 50cc and give her a three day course as most recommend.

10-10-20....nope...........25, 25, 0............maybe..................23, 17, 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Sweet Jebus.

Where do all these consumers get the notion that Irish farmers are reckless and clueless about antibiotics, I wonder.......

Just to clarify.............Antibiotics are prescription only medicine (POM) prescribed through one's Veterinary Surgeon. Their supply and use is regulated.

LIDL do not, nor never have, sold such medicines. Farmers seen shopping in LIDL are generally after the value power tools, or the odd calving/security camera:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Im with LostCovey on this one,
    stanflt wrote: »
    power wash the hoves and spray with linkospecin made up in knapsack sprayer- will kill mortellarrow

Linco-spectin is not even licensed for use in cattle

are you being serious :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sweet Jebus.

This is crazy crazy advice - first off Razor8 is recommending using amoxycillin twice on a calf with join-ill, and now Whelan1 is sending some poor punter at his cow using pen-strep at two-and-a-half times the dose rate.

Pure waste, and madly irresponsible, especially on a public forum, where someone might think it was useful advice, or that this is how farmers routinely treat food animals with drugs.

You must have money to burn Whelan1 if you get only two doses out of a bottle of penstrep. the crazy part about that is that 10 more cc would make 60, and would give a cow a three-day course at the proper rate of 20cc/day for a 500kg cow.

I know I am wasting my time, but if yee keep setting up the skittles, I'll keep bowling, I can't help it.

LostCovey
    welcome back, actually this is what our vet recommends for us, works well for us... different folks different strokes, means you are only giving the cow one shot .... i suppose you couldnt resist having a go at me...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

welcome back, actually this is what our vet recommends for us, works well for us... different folks different strokes, means you are only giving the cow one shot .... i suppose you couldnt resist having a go at me...:cool:
    lc obviously only buys wooden spoons in lidl :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Bizzum wrote: »
    Just to clarify.............Antibiotics are prescription only medicine (POM) prescribed through one's Veterinary Surgeon. Their supply and use is regulated.

LIDL do not, nor never have, sold such medicines. Farmers seen shopping in LIDL are generally after the value power tools, or the odd calving/security camera:D

Nah! I just go to Lidl, for the http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=franziskaner&hl=en&biw=1680&bih=955&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=PSOTLJJ3S8J2uM:&imgrefurl=http://www.beerfestival.ie/beers/franziskaner/attachment/franziskaner/&docid=mLRiacP2EloqcM&imgurl=http://www.beerfestival.ie/wp-content/uploads/franziskaner.jpg&w=260&h=385&ei=MseLT8uEJI-2hAfT96XuCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=172&vpy=161&dur=252&hovh=273&hovw=184&tx=111&ty=158&sig=118245169698702385738&page=1&tbnh=122&tbnw=82&start=0&ndsp=54&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:67 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

i suppose you couldnt resist having a go at me...:cool:
    Mystery of the late night caller solved, and you were blaming the DD add :p:p

bbam wrote: »
    Mystery of the late night caller solved, and you were blaming the DD add :p:p

Nice one! But no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Have you tried to feel to see if there is anything still in the cut..
    We had a 12 month heifer lame and she had a shard of a stone still in the cut... Damn hard but we wrestled it out, washed it with some disinfectant (possibly dettol)..

We then administered the appropriate amount of antibiotic. Nothing more, nothing less... not that ALDI stuff either, you get a better class of farmer shopping at M&S.

Different strokes for different folks.....hmmmmm doesn't say that in the data sheet, or in the regulations on residues.

If somebody's vet (allegedly) recommends giving an antibiotic at 2.5 times the recommended rate, and (allegedly) recommends that they ignore best practice which includes giving a minimum three-day course............ then obviously its perfectly fine to recommend that "unorthodox" approach (I am being restrained in my language here) to someone you've never met for a cow you have never seen with a condition none of us can identify.

How do you calculate a withdrawal period if you are overdosing to that extent?

Not having a go at you Whelan1, just your occasionally wacky advice,.

Truly the internet is full of experts and a wonderful resource.

How is the cow?

LostCovey

look we do this in suckler cows under veternary advise, obviously neither me or you are vets , so i am doing what my vet tells me... obviously the op should get his vet to see what is wrong in this case as it could be a multitide of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Im with LostCovey on this one,

Linco-spectin is not even licensed for use in cattle

are you being serious :rolleyes:

What are your recommendations for such a problem Bob ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Richk2012 wrote: »
    What are your recommendations for such a problem Bob ???

If its mortellarrow we a currently snookered with what we have to treat it. allot depends on how advanced the infection.

• Advertisement

great i found the ignore function, havent had to use that in a while:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Sweet Jebus.

LostCovey

LostCovey - NOBODY on this forum could possibly do more damage to consumers confidence than you. Your bull in a china shop method of jumping down peoples throats whenever they even suggest any possible treatment of an animal does nothing only spook casual onlookers and really is quite reckless.

I notice that Bizzum politely and correctly advised that Lidl do not sell antibiotics (how reckless are you to go saying something like that on a public forum, people might actually believe you, that is a very stupid comment to make). Yet you make no mention of his post in any of yours

Bizzum also correctly points out that antibiotics are prescription only so the public have nothing to fear about any "advice" that is given on this or any other forum as the antibiotics can only be given to the animal with a prescription - yet again you fail to even acknowledge this hugely important point
    Bizzum wrote: »

Now if you spent half the energy pointing out how correct Bizzum's post is it would do a huge amount to allay any public fears people might have about the supply, availability and treatment of animals in Ireland.

I find your posts on this and similar threads counterproductive to what you say you are actually trying to achieve - you are continously highlighting the negatives (perceived negatives i might add) yet never highlight the positives such as Bizzum post above. As you well know there are strict rules governing the administration of antibiotics and other drugs in Ireland - so irregardless of any "advice" given on this thread - it will not be possible for the OP to give the antibiotics without vetinary advice.

So less bull in a China shop please - and maybe recognise that the general public will read your posts also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

bbam wrote: »
    Have you tried to feel to see if there is anything still in the cut..
    We had a 12 month heifer lame and she had a shard of a stone still in the cut... Damn hard but we wrestled it out, washed it with some disinfectant (possibly dettol)..

We then administered the appropriate amount of antibiotic. Nothing more, nothing less... not that ALDI stuff either, you get a better class of farmer shopping at M&S.

I saw this post yesterday and decided to let run to see if the needle jabbers would bite and bite they did

the first approach to any lame animal is to lift the hoof and see what is causing the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

+1 on checking for stones. I've seen cattle lame with them more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

This is the cow boot

http://www.rodeohard.com/assets/images/cow_boots.jpg

If the cut is between the cloots I'd imagine that it would also be the pressure that is keeping the cut open. Personally what I'd do would be to put her in a crush, hobble up that foot and thoroughly wash it out and check for any foreign object. Then disinfect it thoroughly and spray the area. I'd prob try an unorthodox method of keeping the pressure off the cloots widening while standing, so perhaps bandaging the foot and securing with duct tape. If she could be kept in a dry shed with bedding for a few days to limit movement it could help, despite the advantages of soft ground outside.

Tipp Man wrote: »
    LostCovey - NOBODY on this forum could possibly do more damage to consumers confidence than you. Your bull in a china shop method of jumping down peoples throats whenever they even suggest any possible treatment of an animal does nothing only spook casual onlookers and really is quite reckless.

I notice that Bizzum politely and correctly advised that Lidl do not sell antibiotics (how reckless are you to go saying something like that on a public forum, people might actually believe you, that is a very stupid comment to make). Yet you make no mention of his post in any of yours

Bizzum also correctly points out that antibiotics are prescription only so the public have nothing to fear about any "advice" that is given on this or any other forum as the antibiotics can only be given to the animal with a prescription - yet again you fail to even acknowledge this hugely important point

Now if you spent half the energy pointing out how correct Bizzum's post is it would do a huge amount to allay any public fears people might have about the supply, availability and treatment of animals in Ireland.

I find your posts on this and similar threads counterproductive to what you say you are actually trying to achieve - you are continously highlighting the negatives (perceived negatives i might add) yet never highlight the positives such as Bizzum post above. As you well know there are strict rules governing the administration of antibiotics and other drugs in Ireland - so irregardless of any "advice" given on this thread - it will not be possible for the OP to give the antibiotics without vetinary advice.

So less bull in a China shop please - and maybe recognise that the general public will read your posts also

Fair play to Bizzum, I have no problem supporting that post, and I thanked him/her for it. I confirm that LIDL don't sell antibiotics with the secateurs and bread machines on a Thursday. If I make a joke like that again I will put in smileys and exclamation marks to help you wasting your valuable time looking for PenStrep and Tetroxy LA in LIDL.

However if you read this forum regularly, it's full of glib advice from people who think the solution to every animal problem is at the end of a needle. They also offer advice and prescribe treatment. Your and Bizzum's clarification that this is nonsebse is welcome.

This forum actually has a rule banning that kind of advice in the case of human medicines, with good reason.

This forum has also had a history of people advocating really cruel "cures", which in fairness have largely disappeared, but only when they were complained of, by people like me.

I'd rather be a bull in a china shop than a bull getting 50cc of penstrep with no follow-up course for an undiagnosed lameness without the foot being thoroughly explored. Or a cow.

I have no problem with the public reading any of my posts where I point out aspects of advice that I believe are technically incorrect, dangerous, contradictory, or just plain silly.

These forums are just exchanges of views.

Mind you apart from Whelan1, nobody else apart from herself and her vet (allagedly) appears to believe her pishrogue about giving a lame cow a single shot of 50cc of PenStrep. You haven't even supported that one.

If people post misleading advice, and I point out what I think is wrong with it, then the forum is open for other to make the counter-case, fire away.

Best regards to all, including Whelan1.

LostBullInAChinaShopCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

These forums are just exchanges of views.

LostBullInAChinaShopCovey

Exactly. We're not all arriving at his house and medicating the animal ourselves. We are expressing views and opinions. At the end of the day it's his animal and he can treat it how he likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

This is the sort of stuff that is happening in primary school playgrounds across the country. The OP asked for advice and got a load of childish spats.

I think its time that every one of our users have a good look at the forum charter here

Especially look at the section ;

Personal abuse, threats, trolling, offensiveness, bullying, defamation, free speech etc.

and one of the most important lines in it;
    This forum should have a reasonably relaxed atmosphere where people can feel they can add positively to threads

Up to recently, we have been fairly relaxed about veterinary advice. Our perception was that many people come here just for a second opinion (other than that of their vet). However, in light of the negative image/publicity that some posts bring to the Farming and Forestry Forum, this is something that the Mods will be changing.

To my knowledge, there is only 1 person who has admitted that he/she is a vet in this online community. Yet there are any amount of people who come on here to give veterinary advice or to discredit other posters. This is based on their farming experience. We assume that POM medicine will be supplied through their vet and that it will be administered based on the vets advice. So even if wrong doses are quoted or unlicensed medicine names are quoted, any mistakes will be rectified by the vet before the product is given to the farmer for administration to the animal. This was how we viewed it, but it looks like not everyone has the same perception.

Changes are coming because some of us have better things to do with our time.

Thread Closed in the interest of Keeping The peace

PM sent to the OP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement