Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost Notes on iPhone 4S

• 15-04-2012 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place or has been answered before (I'm a newbie here!)

I upgraded from the iPhone 3GS to the 4S today. Rather than start my 4S as a "new phone" I selected to back it up from my 3GS.

The process I used was as follows:

Connected my 3GS to iTunes and synced and backed-up
    Connected new iPhone 4S and opted to backup from the 3GS
    (The software on the 4S was older than the updated software on my 3GS so I had to update the 4S first, then reset it. Then I reconnected it and backed it up from my 3GS).
    All apps etc. seemed to be intact and working so I later reset the 3GS to factory settings (wiped all data) so my husband could use it.

And now for my problem :(

I have just realised that my Notes (v. important ones) from my 3GS didn't sync or transfer to the 4S. I am gutted.

I think I know the answer but is there any way I can get them back?

I have gone into iTunes>Edit>preferences>devices and I can see a list of 3 back-ups but they are all for the IMEI and Serial No. of the new 4S.

I'm guessing that the check-box beside Notes wasn't ticked to sync (although I thought it was) and this means I'll never see those notes again?

My reminders and calendar entries also disappeared although I can live without them.

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

mrs.d wrote: »
    Hi all. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place or has been answered before (I'm a newbie here!)

I upgraded from the iPhone 3GS to the 4S today. Rather than start my 4S as a "new phone" I selected to back it up from my 3GS.

The process I used was as follows:

Connected my 3GS to iTunes and synced and backed-up
    Connected new iPhone 4S and opted to backup from the 3GS
    (The software on the 4S was older than the updated software on my 3GS so I had to update the 4S first, then reset it. Then I reconnected it and backed it up from my 3GS).
    All apps etc. seemed to be intact and working so I later reset the 3GS to factory settings (wiped all data) so my husband could use it.

And now for my problem :(

I have just realised that my Notes (v. important ones) from my 3GS didn't sync or transfer to the 4S. I am gutted.

I think I know the answer but is there any way I can get them back?

I have gone into iTunes>Edit>preferences>devices and I can see a list of 3 back-ups but they are all for the IMEI and Serial No. of the new 4S.

I'm guessing that the check-box beside Notes wasn't ticked to sync (although I thought it was) and this means I'll never see those notes again?

My reminders and calendar entries also disappeared although I can live without them.

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom!

I think you might be out of luck unfortunately. Same happened to me. Going forward, download free app lockbox. It's an excellent tool for secure note storage and will restore like any other app from recent backup with all data intact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Are you sure you backed up the 3GS. If so you can get the notes from the backup regardless if it was set to sync or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mrs.d

I thought as much! Oh well, we live and learn I suppose. Took the shine off my new toy though! Thanks for that though- will download that app straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mrs.d

guil wrote: »
    Are you sure you backed up the 3GS. If so you can get the notes from the backup regardless if it was set to sync or not

I definitely did but the most recent back ups visible in iTunes are for the new handset. I can't seem to find a folder where the back-ups are stored to see if I can locate the notes that way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Are you using windows and what version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hi

Just wondering did you sync with GMAIL?

If so, then your notes are copied into your email account as email and marked as "from Me"

Just a thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement