Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your preferred temp electric fence stake?

• 15-04-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

portable-posts.jpg

And why ?;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

second from left

strong robust and your able to go in a curve
    plus wire cant come out of holder

have approx 120 of these and about 15reels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Use number three at home and number two out here, no idea which one I prefer though! I know I have a massive dislike for number seven, just didn't rate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

stanflt wrote: »
    second from left

What price do you pay for them? Are they the gold foots? You have more reels and stake's than us!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Number 2. But there is only one good brand and a lot of sh1te imitators with either crap mild steel or crappy insulation. The genuine one has galvanised spring steel.
    Used to use number 3 but the tops come off them. They are nice and light but eventually rust.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

C0N0R wrote: »
    What price do you pay for them? Are they the gold foots? You have more reels and stake's than us!

about 2euro a stake and 45 for a speed wind reel- i weld my own steel legs on all reels

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

None of the above. I buy rebar, cut in it to lengths and buy proper quality insulators for it. There are some of these posts on our farm for over 30 years and they will last for another 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

no 2 as well.
    use a heavier version of no 3 as corner steaks,
    and use a combination of the two to tie off wire and reel to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

reilig wrote: »
    None of the above. I buy rebar, cut in it to lengths and buy proper quality insulators for it. There are some of these posts on our farm for over 30 years and they will last for another 30.

Is rebar not heavy for temp fencing? I wouldn't like to have 10 of them and a roll of wire under my arm! :D It also tends to bend in a hoop, no spring in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

number 2 for me aswell. like the way you can manover it off easily if the shock is on to drive a tractor over the wire or something like that. easy to push into the ground and seem very strong and tops dont come off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

reilig wrote: »

Pic attached of one I made probably ten years ago. This one was one I found buried at the butt of a hedge over the winter, stood it back up and it's as good as new!

• Advertisement

I only aske because we've used practically all of them down through the years in all manner of ways.

At the moment no.7 is my preferred choice. The stake is light so easy to carry and is all plastic, save for the spike to stick it in the ground, so highly insulated. They're also very visible. Good for livestock and the contractors pickup reel :D

The oul lad used to wrap the wire around at every stake. His logic was that if the wire broke, it all wouldn't be on the ground. Now I've convinced him that the stakes only hold the wire and the strainers take the strain. The 'strainer' in a temp system could be a tree, HT permanent wire or a wooden pencil stake.

I have pigtails and some of the insulation has worn and they short :mad: probably poor quality.

I see the US use alot of fibreglass posts with the wire hooked on with a metal clip. Haven't come across them here though

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Skiup

Number 2 with the red top preferably..all they have in nz. I asked why not a plastic post and it's all down to the strength of the steel and u can make them live if u want. Some cows out there get smart and start pushing the posts over to get at the new break! We have plenty of 7s here but all 2 since i came home. Plenty of strength and the wire doesn't come out.

Anyone using the plastic "wood" stakes? I see JFC pushing them now. I had a couple at home and didn't really like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

stanflt wrote: »
    second from left

Same here - found it very usefull and adaptable for the sheep and calves. Even used it in a rented place I had to keep the gun-dogs from straying in the absence of a proper run.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Number 2 for me too - used for the horses

very sturdy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

hav number 1's here... crap! the flat tin metal breaks off too easy and the posts are heavy to carry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We use the second from right white plastic post...
    Seems we're in the minority.. Find them handy and adaptable with many positions for the wire... €0.80 each for a box of 25 last year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

White pigtail second from the left you get in three forms one has a plastic legstand at bottom one has a flat metal legstand and one is painted white and the legstand is made of the same round bar as the pole and it tends to break. My prefernce is for the one's with the flat metal legstand.

The white one 2nd from the right are good for calves or sheep as you can put up 2 or 3 strands however they tend to break under pressure.

I have 3-4 coils of ordinary string and as well I have 2 coils of the thick white rope it is very handy when you are putting cattle in or out of the shed or want them to move bulls around a corner as they can see it ( I do not have any nice quite cows) I should have got white tape as it would be better
    The last thing I have is some short reels of string put on 5L drums to go accross paddocks or if I am strip grazing and backfencing in the autaum

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fendt712

We use No.7 here. Probably have 150 odd and don't know how many reels to go with them. We started using them about 5 years ago for strip grazing and closing up gaps temporary.

Never seen one broken and my father would break steel. They're very light so you can carry a good load of them at once (don't have to be going back to the jeep every 2 mins).

You can also put a good few strands up if you want to stop calves running under it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

As an aside has anyone got a cow that knocks them over and if so how do you stop her? I have one black bitch that's always at it n then walks over the wire you couldn't do it better yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Drawinhard!!

2nd from the left have about 100 of them if u use them proerly like they give no trouble also got a pack of the cheap ones just not as good too flexible but perfect for doing straight lines . But sur watever floats ur boat

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Skiup

As an aside has anyone got a cow that knocks them over and if so how do you stop her? I have one black bitch that's always at it n then walks over the wire you couldn't do it better yourself!

In nz they have steel posts similar to number two but where the wire goes through it touchs the steel to liven the post. Hard to explain but there is only a small bit of plastic on the top to grab on to. They really have to be put up with the fence off. Never seen them available here either. You could try to liven up number 2 for a couple of days and see if she learns!

Something like this but can't really see the detail on it.
    http://www.gallagher.co.nz/portable-fence-component.aspx?mktprodid=5674

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

White pigtail second from the left you get in three forms one has a plastic legstand at bottom one has a flat metal legstand and one is painted white and the legstand is made of the same round bar as the pole and it tends to break. My prefernce is for the one's with the flat metal legstand.

Had a look there yesterday, the good pig tail post (no 2 from left) have 'STRAINRITE' stamped on them where you put your foot on to push them into the ground. The one I looked at is a few yrs old so it is possible that there is something different wrote on them now. The plastic top is white and they are around 2e each.

I can't understand how you guys lug around re-bar posts, you must be using the quad!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Bizzum wrote: »
    Pic attached of one I made probably ten years ago. This one was one I found buried at the butt of a hedge over the winter, stood it back up and it's as good as new!

For Reilig & Bizzum,

I'm making these type of elect fence posts at the moment with 12mm Rebar. I bought some of the screw on type insulators for the Rebar in Dairygold COOP stores. They were €0.29 each.
    I was going to use a small piece weled at the top, 4" or so to stop cattle getting impailed on them. I will have to slide on the insulator then from the bottom, so I can't weld a bit at ground level.
    What do you think?
    Can I use these with Hi-tensile wire? Will they be strong enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

no 2. but a stronger model than the one shown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

2nd from the left have about 100 of them if u use them proerly like they give no trouble also got a pack of the cheap ones just not as good too flexible but perfect for doing straight lines . But sur watever floats ur boat

get a couple of the plastic ones and wind the live wire around down to about a foot from ground level

pakalasa wrote: »
    For Reilig & Bizzum,

I'm making these type of elect fence posts at the moment with 12mm Rebar. I bought some of the screw on type insulators for the Rebar in Dairygold COOP stores. They were €0.29 each.
    I was going to use a small piece weled at the top, 4" or so to stop cattle getting impailed on them. I will have to slide on the insulator then from the bottom, so I can't weld a bit at ground level.
    What do you think?
    Can I use these with Hi-tensile wire? Will they be strong enough?

We have them on some hi-tensile wire, I think the strength is a function of the quality of the insulatror you buy. We have had some that were dirt and those blue one that really have stood up over time well.
    We haven't had an impalement yet but anything is possible with cattle, you can slide the insulator right to the top thus leaving very little exposed if you liked.
    I have to say I really like the crossbar, it's not easy to drive a re-bar into the ground we have, particularly in the summer, without one. I tried a few without the crossbad and found them a pain.
    You could of course weld on the crossbar, fit the insulator, then weld the top "safety" bar.
    I don't think you'll be sorry for making a few!

Thanks Bizzum,
    I'll make them with the cross bar on top so. What I like about these too, is you can slide the insulator up and down and add another one if you like too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

what about those safety covers you see on building sites for rebar?

little yellow mushrooms that push onto the ends. dunno how tight they go on, but if not too tight you could stick a dab of silicone in there first to improve the hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

We had a bitch that used to push the timber posts and break 'em. I was in a bad mood for an entire summer because of her!! Constantly replacing stakes.

Evenually made a harness from very light chain running through pieces of piping so it wouldn't cut her, and had 2 bits of wire like antanne sticking forward. As soon as she went close to the fence the wire would tip the fence and give her a shock. It worked. Until we took off the harness and she was back to her old tricks.

THANK GOD she's gone off to the factory now!

JohnBoy wrote: »
    what about those safety covers you see on building sites for rebar?

little yellow mushrooms that push onto the ends. dunno how tight they go on, but if not too tight you could stick a dab of silicone in there first to improve the hold.

Great idea JohnBoy. I racked my brain trying to think of something like this. The advantage is that they can be removed and a second or replacement insulator can be added.
    Also they can be retro-fitted. Any idea where they can be got?

I was talking about this to someone yesterday and they recomended those yellow caps. Any builder providers would have them.

I plan to bend the top 100mm with a pipe benders at right angle. I tried one already. The insulator will slide around the bend. I'll also add some yellow heat shrink (size 19mm) so that they will stand out if lost on the ground.
    Here's a pic of first attempt.

pakalasa wrote: »
    I was talking about this to someone yesterday and they recomended those yellow caps. Any builder providers would have them.

I plan to bend the top 100mm with a pipe benders at right angle. I tried one already. The insulator will slide around the bend. I'll also add some yellow heat shrink (size 19mm) so that they will stand out if lost on the ground.
    Here's a pic of first attempt.

Would you have any concerns about livestock using the bent out top as a scracher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Hmm, I think I'll need to get some rebar for next winter, grand job to tip out to the shed for of an evening

I'd really have to fight the urge to galvanise them, I hate rust. job for life though.

• Advertisement

I'd agree. Keep the insulator up as near to the top of the stake as possible.

Any slightly high timber posts I drive always get the chainsaw after wire is up

Bizzum wrote: »
    Would you have any concerns about livestock using the bent out top as a scracher?
    :mad:....They propably will, won't they. I had a look at the yellow Rebar Caps at a builders providers and I don't think they will do, They are too loose fitting. Maybe if I keep the wire about an inch from the top, then they should be fine.
    We had a vet pull a 12" stick from a bullock's water pipe a few years back. He was bent over trying to pee. After seeing that I always take the view that, if they can, they propably will.
    Especially when cows are bulling. I can see one of them landing down on one and getting impailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

cjpm wrote: »

We had a bitch that used to push the timber posts and break 'em. I was in a bad mood for an entire summer because of her!! Constantly replacing stakes.

Evenually made a harness from very light chain running through pieces of piping so it wouldn't cut her, and had 2 bits of wire like antanne sticking forward. As soon as she went close to the fence the wire would tip the fence and give her a shock. It worked. Until we took off the harness and she was back to her old tricks.

THANK GOD she's gone off to the factory now!

At least my one leaves the timber stakes alone, pure pain though as we use a strip wire n d bitch keeps knocking them! I've wrapped some wire round d legs n put shock in it it helps but te consuming n she knows which stake has wire or not n picks the one that doesn't ! Cute whooore !!

Advertisement