Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q indoor Handles, BAD quality?

Options
  • 15-04-2012 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Felt I had to ask if anyone else had a similar issued with the quality of the B&Q range of indoor door handles, more so the chrome or polished steel type ones.
    I bought some of a certain type some 5 years ago. 3 sets. One handle has sheered off, the other 2 pairs are almost end of life at this stage.
    Of course I have no receipts but they are the only ones selling these. I also wrote to the customer support in the UK about the whole thing. I was basically reminded of my rights, fair enough, and also that basically it was tough luck...in a nice way.
    I went in to see if the handles were still being sold, no joy. Anyway, I have spent a fortune in this place and feel hard done by. I can believe that door handles are failing after 5 years. I'm still doing up the bloody house the the first door handles I put on are gonners already. Is so annoying!
    Any advise here. I thought these things had a guarantee but when I looked at similar handles the other day I found that it 1. must have been a B&q item and 2. no guarantee unfortunately, to my knowledge.
    Tell you one thing, wont be buying anything in there again if they dont cop on . I took some photos of my drooping door handles to show them whats happening.
    Anyway, did anyone have any problems with B&Q?

Cheers

Rich:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Under consumer law, you are entitled for goods to last a reasonable lifetime (varies according to product obviously) and be fit for the purpose intended.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect door handles to last years (assuming that you have no kids swinging off them etc). My parents have never had to change any handle in their house. Therefore, I would write a registered letter to the above effect to the B&Q head office in Ireland. State that you will give them XX working days to help resolve the issue. Otherwise you will proceed with a claim in the Small Claims Court.

The only problem you face is proving that the handles were indeed purchased in B&Q. Did you perhaps buy them on credit card or debit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

richiek67 wrote: »
    Tell you one thing, wont be buying anything in there again if they dont cop on .

Why do so many people add in some stupid comment like that in a post?

1. Any guarantee a manufacturer / retailer gives is worth the piece of paper its written on unless it exceeds your normal rights as a consumer.

2. You don't have the receipt, so how can you prove when you bought them.

3. B&Q don't know what type of use / force has been on the handles.

4. If they were cheap (I normally would consider most own brands things "cheap") then 5 years is probably close enough to reasonable life.

TBH, I think you just have to accept that many own brand products are cheaper than branded products for a reason - quality is usually very basic. 5 years use from a basic quality handle is probably close enough to its life - buy better quality is the real answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Hi folks,

Felt I had to ask if anyone else had a similar issued with the quality of the B&Q range of indoor door handles, more so the chrome or polished steel type ones.
    I bought some of a certain type some 5 years ago. 3 sets. One handle has sheered off, the other 2 pairs are almost end of life at this stage.
    Of course I have no receipts but they are the only ones selling these. I also wrote to the customer support in the UK about the whole thing. I was basically reminded of my rights, fair enough, and also that basically it was tough luck...in a nice way.
    I went in to see if the handles were still being sold, no joy. Anyway, I have spent a fortune in this place and feel hard done by. I can believe that door handles are failing after 5 years. I'm still doing up the bloody house the the first door handles I put on are gonners already. Is so annoying!
    Any advise here. I thought these things had a guarantee but when I looked at similar handles the other day I found that it 1. must have been a B&q item and 2. no guarantee unfortunately, to my knowledge.
    Tell you one thing, wont be buying anything in there again if they dont cop on . I took some photos of my drooping door handles to show them whats happening.
    Anyway, did anyone have any problems with B&Q?

Cheers

Rich:mad:

Yes, my Mum bought sets of indoor door handles from B&Q (in the UK) coming up to six years ago now when she moved into the house. They were B&Q's own brand ones, with a 'wave' in the handle, if you know what I mean?! The spring on the living room door one went so she ended up with a droopy door handle which wouldn't close properly. She replaced it but when that one failed (spring again) she complained to customer service in the shop but she won't get a refund as she no longer has receipts. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Thanks Dudara.

I was under the same impression. I was also told from the NCA that I wouldn't necessarily need a receipt if B&Q were the only ones to stock these parts and given its a B&Q part then I guess is solely B&Q selling these ( sandin!! FYI)

Sadin, you seem angry for some reason?! Dont vent it on me for simply looking for help. I wasn't asking your opinion on the fact that I have faulty goods. I know this already, however, thank you for the reply even if you are a bit miss-informed!!
    The only reason for my last comment, weather you like it or not, was the fact that I've been a good customer since they came . I like B& Q, don't get me wrong. I have also spent about 6K in there to date.
    I have spent a lot on door handles too, which I expect to get more than 5 years out off. Your statement is rubbish regarding a lifetime of 5 years being good enough. Cheap or not they should be up to lasing 10 years at least with normal wear and tare !

Anyway, wond go on. I have photos I'm going to send to them and I'll send an official letter too.

Thanks again

Thanks for that, so at least I'm not the only one in this situation. I just think its very poor show and goods that are not up to the job in my opinion.
    Yes I found on one handle that cam off that the spring was broken in it.

I'm not giving up as I have 3 sets of these on the blink, and other types nearly the same that are showing signs of rickety-ness, if thats a word!

genie wrote: »
    Yes, my Mum bought sets of indoor door handles from B&Q (in the UK) coming up to six years ago now when she moved into the house. They were B&Q's own brand ones, with a 'wave' in the handle, if you know what I mean?! The spring on the living room door one went so she ended up with a droopy door handle which wouldn't close properly. She replaced it but when that one failed (spring again) she complained to customer service in the shop but she won't get a refund as she no longer has receipts. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks Dudara.

I was under the same impression. I was also told from the NCA that I wouldn't necessarily need a receipt if B&Q were the only ones to stock these parts and given its a B&Q part then I guess is solely B&Q selling these ( sandin!! FYI)

Sadin, you seem angry for some reason?! Dont vent it on me for simply looking for help. I wasn't asking your opinion on the fact that I have faulty goods. I know this already, however, thank you for the reply even if you are a bit miss-informed!!
    The only reason for my last comment, weather you like it or not, was the fact that I've been a good customer since they came . I like B& Q, don't get me wrong. I have also spent about 6K in there to date.
    I have spent a lot on door handles too, which I expect to get more than 5 years out off. Your statement is rubbish regarding a lifetime of 5 years being good enough. Cheap or not they should be up to lasing 10 years at least with normal wear and tare !

Anyway, wond go on. I have photos I'm going to send to them and I'll send an official letter too.

Thanks again

No not angry, but bemused by the amount of people who say they will never use a shop / servcie again, yet they have made no real attempt to allow the shop/service to corrrect the error.

Have you actually gone into the B&Q store you bought the products in? - From your post all you've done is contact a customer service person in a call centre who can't see the product nor would be able to make a decision.

5 years may be good enough - but it depends on price and useage.

e'g 5 years for a cheap handle for heavy use would be acceptable, for light use less so.

All depends on the useage and care and only by going into the shop you originally purchased it from, will you be able to get a proper answer.
    BUT YOU HAVEN'T DONE THIS YET!!! Yet you are moaning on boards and already contacted NCA without giving the shop an iota of a chance to rectify it.

That's stupid

Ok,

Well I take your point.

I did write to the customer department as I thought this was the most logical thing and more productive in the end. Usually when you go into these places if you don't have a receipt you may as well walk out again as they don't entertain you, in MY experience from the past.

So, I will go in with the faulty pieces etc and see what they have to say!!

Personally I think 5 years for a door handle is ridiculous.

So I guess you go replacing your door handles at this frequency , do you??
    I'll bet not.
    And your next comment I guess will be, I don't buy B&Q items!! lol
    I'm bemused at the fact that you think you shouldn't get more out of a door handle that gets normal use!!! My folks have had door handles on their doors for 40years!!! No failures at all. Then there not B&Q!

R

sandin wrote: »
    No not angry, but bemused by the amount of people who say they will never use a shop / servcie again, yet they have made no real attempt to allow the shop/service to corrrect the error.

Have you actually gone into the B&Q store you bought the products in? - From your post all you've done is contact a customer service person in a call centre who can't see the product nor would be able to make a decision.

5 years may be good enough - but it depends on price and useage.

e'g 5 years for a cheap handle for heavy use would be acceptable, for light use less so.

All depends on the useage and care and only by going into the shop you originally purchased it from, will you be able to get a proper answer.
    BUT YOU HAVEN'T DONE THIS YET!!! Yet you are moaning on boards and already contacted NCA without giving the shop an iota of a chance to rectify it.

That's stupid

You're now guessing my reply - you like jumping the gun a lot don't you!!!

A cheap door handle with heavy use, I'd be happy with 5 years.

I do buy stuff in B&Q and expect to get my money's worth. If I buy cheap, I won't expect a lot.

Its really down to what was paid for the handles (not said in the post) the type of use (bathroom used by family of 8 or rarely used room by family of 2), but to state you will never buy from B& Q again without even calling to the store to see if they will rectify the situation is still ridiculous especially when you say you've bought 6k worth of product there so far. You've obviously been happy to date, yet without giving them a chance, you decide against any future purchases. - CRAZY!

Al ALL times with EVERY product, your contract of sale is with the store you purchased the product from - not a call centre and not the NCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Thanks Dudara.

You might be able to prove that you bought them in B&Q, but how would you be able to prove when you bought them?
    You could have bought them 7 years ago and they would be outside the legal warranty.
    No harm in trying thou and see what they say.

Advertisement