Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anders Breivik - Norwegian Massacre

• 15-04-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone watching the ''This World'' feature on BBC2 at the minute about the perpetrator of the massacre?

Very grim but gripping at the same time.

His trail begins tomorrow by the way and is expected to last for 10 weeks.

He may actually only get 20 years in jail on grounds of insanity, although different psychiatric assessments have come out now and contradicted earlier reports which found him insane.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't know how he could be considered as 'sane'. He may not be diagnosable but he's clearly fcuking mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Paully D wrote: »
    His trail begins tomorrow by the way and is expected to last for 10 weeks.
    A tourist attraction already?

Too soon I say. Way too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭SeanW

No, he's not insane. He's just plain evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Trail to last 10 weeks? That's crazy. Just find him guilty and lock him up until he dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I don't know how he could be considered as 'sane'. He may not be diagnosable but he's clearly fcuking mental.
    Agreed. I think anyone who plans to kill people with as much forethought as he did is at the very least severely sociopathic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Trail to last 10 weeks? That's crazy. Just find him guilty and lock him up until he dies.

Probably only going to take that long because of the sheer amount of evidence against him.

SeanW wrote: »

Is such an extreme level of evilness not a sign that insanity may be a factor? There was no realisable reason for him to do what he done.. all of it was built up in his own head, and completely disconnected from reality.

I do hope that he is found to be insane. Otherwise his crusade will seem more normalised than it deserves to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Is such an extreme level of evilness not a sign that insanity may be a factor? There was no realisable reason for him to do what he done.. all of it was built up in his own head, and completely disconnected from reality.

I do hope that he is found to be insane. Otherwise his crusade will seem more normalised than it deserves to be.

But still that he never gets anywhere near society again yeah?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

No such thing as evil ffs. He's damaged goods, that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I watched the programme tonight to . The cops should have put a bullet in his head on the day ( they came close to ) but of course that's just wishful thinking .

mackg wrote: »
    But still that he never gets anywhere near society again yeah?

Absolutely. Tbh, I don't think he'd last the 20 (possible) years in psychiatric prison, and even if he did, he may never be found to be sane and safe enough to release.

Latchy wrote: »
    I watched the programme tonight to . The cops should have put a bullet in his head on the day ( they came close to ) but of course that's just wishful thinking .

I think the Norwegian police and prosecutors have done a wonderful job so far. They're showing a degree of level-headedness and patience with due process that many other countries should take example from.

I think the Norwegian police and prosecutors have done a wonderful job so far. They're showing a degree of level-headedness and patience with due process that many other countries should take example from.
    Course they are but that doen't mean people wouldn't like to see him executed .The Noweigians haven't had to face anything like this since WW2 and they know the eyes of the world will be on them to see that this nut get's his day in court

Course they are but that doen't mean people wouldn't like to see him executed .The Noweigians haven't had to face anything like this since WW2 and they know the eyes of the world will be on them to see that this nut get's his day in court

Even his father has said that he would be better off shot. He's right.. and that's exactly why he shouldn't be shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

In a way, execution is too easy a way out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

I assume after 20 years in jail they just chuck him in a spongey room and throw away the key? I mean really...release that??? You just dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

He may actually only get 20 years in jail on grounds of insanity, although different psychiatric assessments have come out now and contradicted earlier reports which found him insane.

That "only twenty years" thing is a bit of a myth - while the maximum sentence is indeed twenty years, if the person is deemed to still be a danger to themselves or society, they can be held for another five. And if at the end of that they're still a danger, another five and so on and so forth.
    Basically, he can be imprisoned indefinitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

A bad lad.

Even his father has said that he would be better off shot. He's right.. and that's exactly why he shouldn't be shot.
    He's going to have a very cusy life in jail with all the privileges ...unless of course somebody has other plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

He's going to have a very cusy life in jail with all the privileges ...unless of course somebody has other plans
    Maybe put him in the muslim wing

Maybe put him in the muslim wing
    As a suicidal bomber ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I thought that they either have to declare him insane, in which case they can have him kept in an institution for life, or declare him sane, which would result in him being released from prison in just over 20 years.

Ireland was actually mentioned a few times in his book/manifesto, with some interesting stuff about how Europe failed to accept our rejection of the Lisbon treaty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

He may actually only get 20 years in jail on grounds of insanity

This isn't right. They were talking to some Norweigan expert on the radio (I think Today FM) today about this. The maximum sentence that can be got in Norway is 21 years and after that a panel is brought together to see if the person is a threat to society. If he is, he gets 3 more years, if not, he's free.

Also years cannot be accumulated so he won't get 77*21 years for his crime, he will get 21 years (They were saying you can be sentenced for 77 crimes, but they will all run at the same time, rather then being run one after the other like in most places)

This is without him pleading insanity. This is the normal run-of-the-mill prison.

He was also supposed to be in one of those ultra prisons, but turns out it overlooks Utoya and they thought that might not be a good idea...

I admire the Norwegians for how civilised they are. He would have been dead long ago were he in most other countries

He is said to be in solitary confinement tho because if he's let in with the others, they fear they'll kill him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

He has to be declared sane, and, as a poster above said, evil.

I couldn't agree with this post more. They do appear prepared to allow a public discussion, and by extension, dismissal, of all he stands for and represents
    This **** is dangerous.
    We live in a disaffected age. Disaffection breeds extremist views. The worst possible outcome would be to establish that he is a mentler and acted as such.
    You can look at his video here http://vodpod.com/watch/13744307-liveleak-com-oslo-terrorist-anders-behring-breivik-manifesto
    That is not the work of an insane mind, but that of one so blinded by his own hate he has created a historical narrative that attempts to create division in society where it simply does not exist, and as such and rally the troops to 'war'.
    Norway, expose this false messiah for the murdering **** he is.
    Life for breivik!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Saw some footage of this this evening.

He said it was self defence. He was sitting there smirking and sniggering to himself.

What a total and utter pr*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Really?

Bush and Blair (and Obama) have been responsible for a lot more murders and mayhem.

Are they mental?

Plenty of killers know what they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Saw some footage of this this evening.

He said it was self defence. He was sitting there smirking and sniggering to himself.

What a total and utter pr*ck.

This is what I don't get at all. He claims he murdered 77 of his fellow Norwegians in a protest about multiculturalism (in particular, muslims).

So, if it was other cultures he had a problem with, why not target them instead :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It shows how civilized Norway is. That's not to say he shouldn't get shived or fall down a flight of stairs or 2 but then that's just acting in a degenerate manner to someone with one too many screws loose. It would only reinforce his own martyr self image. Treat him in a civil fashion, tell him the wrong he did and incarcerate him so he can never hurt anyone again. To be honest he's going to completely come apart one way or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭SeanW

Johro wrote: »
    So a mafia boss isn't "evil"

A scumbag who sets throws kittens into bonfires just for kicks, isn't evil?

Osama Bin Laden? Various warmongers, past and present?

I'm sorry, I disagree very strongly. Some people are just human garbage.

Anders Brevhik is one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Had this guy of been an arab we'd of heard nout about mental health checks in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

This is what I don't get at all. He claims he murdered 77 of his fellow Norwegians in a protest about multiculturalism (in particular, muslims).

So, if it was other cultures he had a problem with, why not target them instead :confused:
    Because he felt that the people on the island were very likely to be the future left-wing leaders of the country(some were the children of left wing politicians in power at the moment according to a few articles), hence the people allowing mass immigration of Muslims.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 NiThigim

http://podcast.rasset.ie/podcasts/2012/pc/pod-v-16041213m06stodaywithpatkenny-pid0-786144_audio.mp3

He has contempt for the Norwegian society. His council is actually trying to prove his sane and that he is at war with the Norwegian state. What a shame he was not shot dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Im not normally one for the hilariousness of the conspiracy theory forum, but this one reeks of some sort of inside job. For a start there seems to be a few people on the side of the law a little too eager to have him sent to an asylum rather than have a fully open trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Im not normally one for the hilariousness of the conspiracy theory forum, but this one reeks of some sort of inside job. For a start there seems to be a few people on the side of the law a little too eager to have him sent to an asylum rather than have a fully open trial.

That's simple racism.

"We're not terrorists, they are."

Look at what happens when Israelis murder and terrorise Palestinians. Straight away there's a campaign to designate the Israeli terrorists as some sort of loons, but if a Palestinian carries out the same act, he/she is a "product of their society".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

gubbie wrote: »
    This isn't right. They were talking to some Norweigan expert on the radio (I think Today FM) today about this. The maximum sentence that can be got in Norway is 21 years and after that a panel is brought together to see if the person is a threat to society. If he is, he gets 3 more years, if not, he's free.

Yeah and after that 3 years he'll get another 3 years and the cycle will continue. His beliefs are deep rooted and he isn't going to change and even if he does I find it unlikely that he will be released. I'd imagine he is in there for life once he goes in despite the system they have in place. If he gets released (he won't) then he's not deemed a threat to society and he's served his time so I don't see a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Zebra3 wrote: »
    That's simple racism.

"We're not terrorists, they are."

Oh come on. For a start, the logic of the whole thing does not make the slightest bit of sense. If he had stockpiled all this heavy weaponry and explosives, why attack Norwegian people? Why not the immigrants he was claiming to want to drive out of Europe? The UVF and LVF never massacred Protestants to warn them to get on their side. The whole thing smells highly fishy. It wouldnt be the first time secretive government forces have manipulated mentally ill people into carrying out dirty work for their own political ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

I remember watching the deaths last year and it gave me chills.

He is pure evil in my book, the hitler salute when his cuffs were removed shoes he is a faciast and he thinks hes done nothing wrong. And the way he smirked during it- and apparantly when a call was played from a girl in which people could be heard screaming he was still smirking away.

pure evil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I definitely hope he spends the rest of his life in jail for those murders.

The salute was closed-fist salute but probably some simile to a nazi salute.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/9206376/Anders-Behring-Breivik-Norway-terrorist-attacks-in-pictures.html?image=1

I think the point is he is madly clutching at straws to try and have some hope here.

There is footgae of him crying on the stand, but that was when he was shown incriminating footage of himself making weapons or decribing how he would use them (didn't hear properly).

One of the judges has been taken off the trial after saying that he should lose his life. Can only imagine how high emotions must be running there, especailly with him sniggering. It's really sick.

I wouldn't be able to control myself seeing that. The amount of families and people suffering because of his actions...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I wonder when we can expect the movie.

smash wrote: »
    I wonder when we can expect the movie.

Not for a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Not for a while yet.
    Wonder if it will be in 3D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

smash, stop messing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

What happened with the judge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Johro wrote: »
    So a mafia boss isn't "evil"

A scumbag who sets throws kittens into bonfires just for kicks, isn't evil?

Osama Bin Laden? Various warmongers, past and present?

I'm sorry, I disagree very strongly. Some people are just human garbage.

Anders Brevhik is one of them.

Yes. Some people are psychopaths, and in extreme that's evil. This guy is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

More use can be come of him if he is studied and profiled than a slab of cold meat. If it is possible though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Even if convicted there is no such thing as doing hard time in Norway. The Norweigan prison system takes seriously it's philsophy that a prisoner should be treated a humanely as possible. "Depriving a person of their freedom for a period of time is sufficient punishment in itself without any need whatsoever for harsh prison conditions." one prison source is quoted as saying. SOURCE
    Prisoners' cells include flat screen TVs, minifridges, and long windows that let in more sunlight. Prisoners share kitchens and living rooms with sofas and coffee tables. There's a state-of-the-art gym with a climbing wall and expensive artwork commissioned for the prison. At other maximum security prisons, inmates have access to the internet, even in their jail cells.

Looks like Anders will have a great old time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The lay judge - kinda like a juror - suggested the death penalty on Facebook. That's against Norwegian law.

In the US, on a trial for murder, you can be removed for opposing the death penalty.

You know what? He's sane. Absolutely sane. Probably the sanest person on Earth. No way is there anything crazy about him.

Yup, if that's what it takes for him to serve the rest of his life out in jail, then so be it. I genuinely can't see him coping too well, being a mass murderer and a child killer. Execution would be far too quick and far too easy for him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement