Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anders Breivik - Norwegian Massacre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

99 days per person murdered......

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Minimum of 10 years only. Can't put into words how messed up that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

As above poster said 21 year term, but could be out in 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Lads I wouldnt worry about his sentence too much. somebody will get him when hes out, or better yet when hes in general population after a few years

Not really the point though, is it? How that can be seen as justice is just shocking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Conflicting reports, but I'm hearing 21 years minimum and can be extended indefinitely as long as he is considered a threat to society.

From Sky News Twitter Feed: "Norwegian court rules mass killer Anders Breivik is not insane and sentences him to 21 years with minimum term of ten years"

Does seem to be some confusion though, as I think I saw something different on their site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

As above poster said 21 year term, but could be out in 10.

highly doubtful, even if he is a model prisoner they'll find some reason to keep him inside as long as they can.

thats if he evens lasts that long in prison, can imagine there would be a few fellas in there that would be looking to settle the score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Lads I wouldnt worry about his sentence too much. somebody will get him when hes out, or better yet when hes in general population after a few years
    He is in a Norwegian Jail, not some Federal Lock up in the USA, highly unlikely he will come to any harm, the authorities wouldn't want a martyr anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Looking at the evil man smirking when they read out his sentence makes me feel nauseous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

21 years is not nearly enough. I would be devastated all over again if I was a family member of one of those people.
    It also sickens me that he'll most likely view himself as some sort of political prisoner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Fear not, he'll have a horrible time in prison and will be killed as soon as he gets out.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

I think the Norwegian police and prosecutors have done a wonderful job so far. They're showing a degree of level-headedness and patience with due process that many other countries should take example from.

lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Min of 10 years...... jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Failure of Norwegian sentencing system to satisfy After Hours bloodlust?

Also bound to be some Oslo fisherman sentenced to 10 years for non-payment of taxes on smuggled olives that the sentence can be unfavourably compared to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Confab wrote: »
    Fear not, he'll have a horrible time in prison and will be killed as soon as he gets out.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0824/breaking7.html
    Breivik (33) will be kept in isolation inside Ila Prison on the outskirts of Oslo inside relatively spacious quarters that include a separate exercise room, a computer and a television.

sounds more like a hotel than a prison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

21 years is not nearly enough. I would be devastated all over again if I was a family member of one of those people.
    It also sickens me that he'll most likely view himself as some sort of political prisoner.

21 years is the maximum jail term under Norwegian law. I remember a(n) (in)famous Black Metal musician getting the exact same sentence for the murder of a fellow musician back in the mid 90's....I think he was out in less than 10 years....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

21 years is the maximum jail term under Norwegian law. I remember a(n) (in)famous Black Metal musician getting the exact same sentence for the murder of a fellow musician back in the mid 90's....I think he was out in less than 10 years....?

He did 16 years of the 21 year sentance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

This serial killer was released after serving 12 years.
    Arnfinn Nesset (born October 25, 1936) is a Norwegian convicted serial killer. His crimes include the murders of at least 22 people, as well as attempted murder, document forgery and embezzlement. He may have murdered up to 138 people.
    He was sentenced to 21 years in prison, the maximum term available under Norwegian law at the time, to be followed by ten years of preventative detention.[5] However he was released after serving 12 years of this sentence due to good behaviour,[6] and is now reported to be living in an undisclosed location under an assumed name.

link

GrizzlyMan wrote: »

Thanks for the correction. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

It's a 21 year sentence, but apparently Norwegian law allows to extend a sentence on an offender if they consider you still a risk to society, so he could be imprisoned indefinitely

Source: http://www.thejournal.ie/21-years-breivik-trial-sentence-norway-570722-Aug2012/?utm_source=shortlink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Something like 3 months per victim ? That must be a great comfort to the families.

If he is to be locked up for life then the sentence should be transparent, it should be a 'Life without parole until death' not this farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Morlar wrote: »
    Something like 3 months per victim ? That must be a great comfort to the families.

If he is to be locked up for life then the sentence should be transparent, it should be a 'Life without parole until death' not this farce.

99 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

GrizzlyMan wrote: »

Euronymous was it?

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Euronymous was it?

Yeah, that was him. I have that book somewhere at home(Lords Of Chaos). There was also a film made about the whole Black Metal Scene in Norway/Scandinavia called "If The Light Takes Us".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gatecrash wrote: »
    99 days

You'd get more for having no tv license :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The verdict is continuing to be read out by the court judges. It's incredibly sobering. Each victim is treated an an individual murder (and rightly so) and the judge is reading a transcript of each and every murder. Reading out the horrific nature of the crimes is taking its toll on the judge and he's starting to struggle.

There's a live blog in English also here
    http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/the-anders-behring-breivik-verdict-accountable/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Just seen his reaction to the sentence. His sick and sinister smile made me feel sick. He is not insane, he is just a sinister and ghastly human being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The 21 years means nothing. He'll never be released back into society. The lobbying of victims groups will ensure that, even if he does eventually satisfy the experts in mental health evaluations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

21 years is the maximum they can give. After he serves his sentence they can extend it by 5 years if they deem him to be a danger to society. They can do this every 5 years until the day he dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Keno 92 wrote: »
    21 years is the maximum they can give. After he serves his sentence they can extend it by 5 years if they deem him to be a danger to society. They can do this every 5 years until the day he dies.

Thats true, but even though they find him ready for society and let him out after 10-15 years,he might not be a danger to society,but society might be a danger to him.This will never be forgotten or forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

His prison looks like a three star travelodge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

For the rest of his life? He'll definitely be bonkers after a few years of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I've stayed in worse.

http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/15307647/710/normal/38e432ec47c4c/NORWAY-ATTACKS-BREIVIK-CE668240.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Euronymous was it?

nah Euronymous was the one that was killed, it was count grishnak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

dreadful atrocity,i thought he would have gotten life for it,he killed innocent people that day..

dreadful atrocity,i thought he would have gotten life for it,he killed innocent people that day..

Jesus,how many times does it have to be explained????Maximum sentence is 21 years in Norway+a detention verdict.He is being evaluated every 5-10 years if he is suited for coming back to society or not.So after 21 years if the court finds him not suited he wont be coming out.

• Advertisement

Jesus,how many times does it have to be explained????Maximum sentence is 21 years in Norway+a detention verdict.He is being evaluated every 5-10 years if he is suited for coming back to society or not.So after 21 years if the court finds him not suited he wont be coming out.

Redundant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I find it slightly worrying that a clinically sane person could be capable of such an atrocity.

czx wrote: »
    Redundant

Or dead:eek:

I love the way people think that this guy is going to be released in 21 years and use it as another excuse to bash the profession. Discuss what you're qualified to discuss. You're bullsh1t Arts degree doesn't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I love the way people think that this guy is going to be released in 21 years and use it as another excuse to bash the profession. Discuss what you're qualified to discuss. You're bullsh1t Arts degree doesn't count.

....what profession?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

I am delighted this case is now over with a guilty verdict. I suppose there sentence to us is strange, suppose they start at 10 and can go to life, we start at life and can go to 10 years for murder.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    ....what profession?

The Legal profession. Those without a notion in this thread relate Norway's Scan.Civil to the Common Law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The Legal profession. Those without a notion in this thread relate Norway's Scan.Civil to the Common Law.

O. Ty.

I have a law degree though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Just seen a nat geog doco about this.

I hate this man, with his incredible retarded ideas about race and purity, his moronic hitler salutes and his absolute no remorse, his only regret is he didn't kill more. His rest of his stay on Earth should be made a living hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Looks like some of the guys far right apologists are starting to get brave enough to make excuses for the massacre:

French Essayist Blames Multiculturalism for Breivik’s Killing Spree

• Advertisement
Advertisement