Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Manning Memorial Dunshaughlin 10km Road Race 23/6/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

4 stars (good)
    Can only give this race 5 stars, really top quality. Testy course and conditions tonight made it difficult but quality spread afterwards made up for that! Unfortunately no PB for me, suffered like a muthaflucka for the last 3k but still a good solid training run.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

4 stars (good)
    Great race as always. Couldn't recommend it more.

I went out at 5K pace and paid the price. Hurting at 5K and ended up loosing 7 places in the second half. Need to be a bit more conservative at the start next time.

I missed the sunshine this year but the weather was perfect in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    Unexpected PB for me too (the best kind), finishing in 35:23. The course was easier than I remembered from my last visit two years ago. I'm not as race-fit as I was 6 weeks ago when I ran 35:31, so it shows the difference it makes when you have a few people to run with (had to run the last one on my own).

Always amazed by how the Dunshaughlin folks can put on such an amazing race for €15, when so many other races put on far inferior races for almost twice that amount. Hats off to them. Super result for Tunguska, finishing 3rd, overdue PB for Abhainn (a couple less dinners today and you'd have run 33:xx!) and of course well done to the f40 sub-50 club (soon to be the sub 1:50 club). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

4 stars (good)
    Super race - echo all of the sentiments above - it was actually a perfect evening for running and the breeze didn't really effect the race - fell a handful of seconds short of a PB... but very pleased!

There are photographs at http://goo.gl/byn2R

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

4 stars (good)
    Agree with all the positive comments above, glad I knew those hills were coming, great attendance and terrific atmosphere coming into the finish line helped squeeze a few more seconds off my time. Great spread afterwards. 5 star race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

4 stars (good)
    Feck that was tough. Got the sub 40 that i was after and a pb of over a minute so thrilled but the legs aren't. Great work by Dunshaughlin in putting on a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Good high standard at the race too - about 1 in 5 runners under 40 minutes and over half the field under 50. A lot of club singlets around, it seems like every club in Leinster had runners out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

4 stars (good)
    I hoped for a sub-60, but I was 62 minutes which was actually my PB (I assume that means Personal Best??).

A great race and great atmosphere, a bargain at €15. The hills were a killer, but got through them.

EDIT, OMG, I feel a bit inferior after reading your great times, but I'm still pleased with myself :D I couldn't even run 1km last January, and I hope I can do better in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ceekay

A great race as usual provided the Dunshaughlin team. At last this race has the recognition it deserves! Just wondering how peoples watch times compared to the results times? I crossed the finish line with the clock reading 39.52 (39.53 in the results...Happy Days!!). My own watch time read 40.02. I'm tending to ignore my watch time!

4 stars (good)
    Ceekay wrote: »
    I crossed the finish line with the clock reading 39.52 (39.53 in the results...Happy Days!!). My own watch time read 40.02. I'm tending to ignore my watch time!

My chip is 39.52 but the watch is reading 39.48. As there wasn't mats at the start, everyone is clocked from the gun so did you start your watch when you crossed the start line? However, as the chip is what we all live and die by, take the 39.53 and well done.

I must have been running near you for a long way as we've nearly the same finishing time. Tis a small world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

4 stars (good)
    My first 10k, brilliant race, really well organised. Nice course, water stations, miles and km signs, 5k mat, great spread afterwards.... fair play to the organisers. 10 out of 10!

Happy with my time of 52:14, I had only run a few 10k in training so I knocked a lot off my PB. Weather was perfect for running in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

4 stars (good)
    First time I've raced well on the road in a long time... Perfect conditions for the race in the end. Really wish I'd held off on the amount of after race cakes I ate though!

500+ photos from the race now on RacePix - hopefully more to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

4 stars (good)
    40:00 :)

This was my watch and chip time. PB so very happy, even if I'd have loved to get under 40. Previous best was a relatively soft 42:19 from a few years ago as I haven't done an exclusive 10k since (more du / triathlon, 5ks, 5 milers).

Woke up yesterday with awful stomach cramps, felt awful all day. Registered anyway, and decided to see how the warm up went. Started feeling better so just went for it. Stomach in knots again after (and got bad around 7/8km) and still not feeling great but happy to get through the race. In a way it almost helped becasue I felt better running!

Congrats to all the Boardsies who achieved targets, seems a lot of you did.

Great race as ever, home race for me even though I moved away about 5 years ago so great to see familiar faces everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

This is a fantastic race, can't fault anything about it. 5 stars for sure.
    Found it tough enough, but got my sub 45 So happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

4 stars (good)
    chinguetti wrote: »
    My chip is 39.52 but the watch is reading 39.48. As there wasn't mats at the start, everyone is clocked from the gun so did you start your watch when you crossed the start line? However, as the chip is what we all live and die by, take the 39.53 and well done.

I must have been running near you for a long way as we've nearly the same finishing time. Tis a small world.

You can probably add me to that group as well, my chip time was 39.54. I was the guy in the Dunleer AC singlet that you probably sprinted by in the last 100m! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

4 stars (good)
    I saw you anyway pconn (well I assume it was you).
    I was in my 'lucky' Tri Athy t-shirt...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ceekay

chinguetti wrote: »

Thanks for that! 39.53 it is! I suspect I was running behind you as I had a great last 2k (for a change!) I finished 110th and I was wearing a Skerries vest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

3 stars (average)
    Basster wrote: »
    I saw you anyway pconn (well I assune it was you).
    I was in my 'lucky' Tri Athy t-shirt...

I saw you too. I was about 100 metres behind you for most of the race & kept saying to myself, "gotto catch the other triathlete". I caught you in the last 1km. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RaffDaGaff

3 stars (average)
    That was my first 10k race I've done and I really enjoyed it, Dunshaughlin is my local race so it was brilliant having a chance to try out racing on my doorstep. I don't know much about how races usually set up, but the support, waterstations and post race facility at the college (cake and coffee :D) were top notch, great seeing everyone out supporting you.

I will have to keep an eye on this forum and see which races are coming up and hopefully as good a course as this. Great banter with some people racing alongside me, and I was suprised to see how far people from clubs had come to take part.

Delighted with my time (43.39), I was hoping for 48 mins so was shocked to be honest, probably having people around to try and beat gave me the chance to keep my pace

Fair play to all involved and who organised the race, hope to see some of you again soon at other races!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ruhan

4 stars (good)
    My first race, time of 52:33 which I'm happy enough with, I was hoping for the 50 minute mark. I really enjoyed the race and atmosphere and will be there again next year.

Kudos to all involved in the organisation etc. It was a well run affair, pun included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Brilliant race, I really really enjoyed the course. It was great seeing people on their front lawns cheering as we went through the country roads. Weather wasnt an issue at all. Marshals were great and the spread afterwards was yum. Definitely my favourite race to date by miles!
    Oh yeah, the markers in km and miles was brilliant too...hadnt noticed that in previous races before.

4 stars (good)
    pconn062 and ceekay, i saw ye alright. I was the guy in the blue singlet (no writing on it) who finished 109th and threw in a sprint finish at the end. I think i passed ye and was passed by ye a few times from 6k on. Twas great to run off others as i found it a sturggle at times, esp the 8th k which was a dire split.

Well done folks on the sub 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Knightmove

4 stars (good)
    41.19 for me last night. Disappointed with the time. Having run sub 20m in Raheny the previous weekend I thought I could get close to 40m. Wasn't to be. Did the first 5k in 20m dead and proceeded to go backwards from there, especially on that long steady incline through the 5th mile. My legs were like lead and I dread to think what the time would have been if it hadn't been for the tremendous vocal support from the local Dunshaughlin community. The strawberries and cream at the finish was a magnificent effort and a great pick me up for a somewhat deflated runner! Great event. Well done to all the previous posters as seems like there were some really great performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

4 stars (good)
    Another great night by Dunshaughlin AC, top class race. Hoped to get under the 45 minute mark and got 43:58 so was happy with my run. Perfect conditions for running and a very well organised race. 5 out of 5 from me!!!

4 stars (good)
    Knightmove wrote: »
    Did the first 5k in 20m dead and proceeded to go backwards from there, especially on that long steady incline through the 5th mile. My legs were like lead and I dread to think what the time would have been if it hadn't been for the tremendous vocal support from the local Dunshaughlin community.

Know that feeling. Did the 16:20 and then 17:16. The 8K and 9K marks just couldn't come fast enough. Loosing places by the boat load. Go out a bit slower and come through in the second 5K next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dingonerd

4 stars (good)
    As usual an absolute credit to Dunshaughlin AC. Everything well organised: mile/km markers, testing but fair course, tech tshirt, well marshalled, plenty grub and tea after, loads of prizes, and all for €15. The Meath AC's know how to organise a race!

Strange how the weather wasnt as bad as it looked, once we got going.

Got into a good wee group who paced me along nicely!! Big PB..1st sub 36. Chip timing 4 secs quicker than watches for all club members... Not everyday that works in your favour!

One of the standout races of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

4 stars (good)
    Hi,

We will be having the 5km split time again this year. This has proven to be very popular with runners as it allows them see there own and others split times.

We will have timing sensors attached to the race number and not using the traditional chip tied around the ankle.

We spoke in detail about the start area and we are very fortunate to have what is probably the widest starting line in the country available to us. This gives more runners an opportunity to start as close to the front as they wish and also will allow those behind to cross the start line faster.

Erecting a starting gantry or using timing mats to cover the full width of the start would be very expensive and as we have always maintained that our event should be as affordable to as many as possible, we believe that the couple of seconds it takes to cross the start far outweighed the additional cost.

Also, if the start was narrowed, we believe that it would lead to a very chaotic start as you can only imagine the rush to get with lead or indeed other groups of runners.

Remember our event is just €15.. thats €15 euro ... there are very few races anywhere in the country which offer a race for this price let alone give t-shirts (first 500 registered) and everyone gets food and tea/coffee afterwards. We are a small running club with a big heart and are looking forward to having another record entry for 2012.

Get out! Get Fit! Get Running!

Where are the 5K split times on the results

4 stars (good)
    NiallG4 wrote: »
    Where are the 5K split times on the results

Some issue with the timing I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 anfearruaaris

Hi
    Thank you to everyone for taking part in our club race again this year, we really appreciate the support.

There was some issue at the 5km timing gantry and it is still been worked on so hopefully we'll have them up soon.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

4 stars (good)
    This whole "hill" thing is a bit over done. Mount Everest it was not.

Very enjoyable course in perfect conditions for running. Well done the organisers.

Advertisement