Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door locks

• 15-04-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    No idea where to put this! But anyway, I'm trying to source keys for internal door locks. The doors are the original round ball handle doors from the late 40's, early 50s. I don't think the locks have been used in over 20 years. I don't know what keys were used in them and if they're still available. If someone could point me in the right direction, or possible options it'd great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

If you look at front of lock or even take it out, it might have the name on it. Normally it might be Basta keys. But if you are thinking of changing locks, take off handles and unscrew lock. It could be a 3 inch internal lock used back then, normally these days they are 2 and half inch.

Best to take one out and measure the width of it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for the reply. The issue is that layers of paint are totally covering the locks. I can't see any name on it. I tried removing one if the locks but the screws seem to be warped into it. I don't went to wreck the doors as they are properly heavy and thick. They are almost like the old school doors. What's also strange is that the 'room side' of the lock seems to have a smaller key hole than on the outer side.

If you have a wide flat head screw driver then use that to scrap paint off. Take off handles and try and get screws out that's holding lock in place. wedge the flat head into where bar goes for turning lock and push lock out....

Thanks for that. Would the lock be fairly replaceable on a unit that old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Do you have any of the original keys?
    If so take it to a locksmith and he might be able
    to tell you the type of lock and maybe give you some
    keys to try out.

• Advertisement

No keys. Potentially gone at least 20 years!

antodeco wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Would the lock be fairly replaceable on a unit that old?

If you take it out, take a pic and upload here...As I said it will probably be 3 inches in width, but could be wrong without a pic...

Check this link out, but wouldnt buy there as you can get them cheaper else where

Internal Lock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

In that case I would say call a locksmith out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Sorry to hijack thread but on the subject of Basta keys:

A number of the internal doors in my house were replaced years ago.
    I have a key for only one of them, but they are all the same make.
    They take these type of keys:

http://www.hardwareireland.ie/store/product.php?id=1188

How do I figure out which keys to purchase, I can't see anything on the handle which indicates the type to use. I never needed them before but our smally is a toddler now and causing chaos so need to be able to lock doors.

^^ To be honest, the only way to know if you have a bunch of keys. I think 1 to 8 are right side and then the rest are left...

If you look into keyhole of lock you will see if its right or left so at least that will narrow it down for you....

Woodies I've heard have a set bunch of basta keys and you pay them a deposit, bring keys home and note down keys you want and bring bunch back to them....

Worth shot to ring and ask....

• Advertisement
Advertisement