Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exciting new build but need advice

• 15-04-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

HI All

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a small old farmhouse to do up. We live 4 hours from the site currently and have two small children so would need some professional help and someone to manage the build.

We have a fair idea as to what we want to do to the house but we are completely stumped as to who or what we should do now. I have been looking on the internet and dazzled by the different titles and roles - Architects, architects technician, draftsman, Quantity surveyor, civil engineer, Bill of works, project manager, planning consultant......

Do we need to employ all of these people or just some of them? What do they all do? Like everyone we have a tight enough budget which we would like to see going into the build and not on loads of consultants. That said I appreciate the completeness of a job done well by a team of professionals.

Any help or guidance as to who we should use and what process we should take would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 siteset

3msw wrote: »
    HI All

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a small old farmhouse to do up. We live 4 hours from the site currently and have two small children so would need some professional help and someone to manage the build.

We have a fair idea as to what we want to do to the house but we are completely stumped as to who or what we should do now. I have been looking on the internet and dazzled by the different titles and roles - Architects, architects technician, draftsman, Quantity surveyor, civil engineer, Bill of works, project manager, planning consultant......

Do we need to employ all of these people or just some of them? What do they all do? Like everyone we have a tight enough budget which we would like to see going into the build and not on loads of consultants. That said I appreciate the completeness of a job done well by a team of professionals.

Any help or guidance as to who we should use and what process we should take would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi basiclly all you should need is a good architect & a good builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dooneenboy

HI All

Thanks

I think it would be wisest to engage an architect, perhaps local who can assist you with your plans, he would be best qualified to advise on the initial requirements, ie planning requirements, conservation requirements (if applicable), space management, insulation, etc.

Once you have all your requirements worked out, the architect can advise of other consultants required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This thread has been moved from the Prices/costs forum to the Arch/Tech forum.

@ 3msw please dont cross post the same query over different forums as it will be viewed as spam and you could end up getting muffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 3msw

Apologies Muffler

My first time posting and unsure which was the best thread. Thanks guys, Is there a big difference going with an Architect that is a member of RIAI or not as there seems to be a big difference on cost?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Apologies Muffler

My first time posting and unsure which was the best thread. Thanks guys, Is there a big difference going with an Architect that is a member of RIAI or not as there seems to be a big difference on cost?

Thanks

Yes cost!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

HI All

Thanks
    I'm humble biased opinion, you need an architect/Arch technician - their experience in low energy retro-fitting and conservation practices will be more important than RIAI membership. so why not seek out previous clients/works of theirs, in order to ensure they are right for you:)

traditional an arch has taken the role of cooridinator of other professional involvement and contractor, in my opinion your arch/AT will be best placed to advise on your route to completion

a few things to ask about are their preferred strategies for
    • stopping all damp penetration - tanking your home like a swimming pool is no longer best practice..
    • proposed renovation materials &/or sympathetic extension design
    • ventilation - with modern levels of insulation and air-tightness, imo window trickle vents are not enough in old homes unless the structure is breathable)(breathable meaning similar to Gore-tex clothing properties - not leaking air)
    • insulation - avoid inappropriate insulation locations and control internal moisture.
    • finally and only once all of the above are sorted -helping to select low running cost heating source

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JackPerry

Do you intend to live in the old farm house or will it be used as a holiday home?

JackPerry wrote: »
    Do you intend to live in the old farm house or will it be used as a holiday home?

We intend to live in it from May to September and during seasonal holidays eg Christmas etc. We would hope to move into it full time in 10 years or so. Are you asking the question to find out what the correct heating route would be?

BryanF wrote: »
    I'm humble biased opinion, you need an architect/Arch technician - their experience in low energy retro-fitting and conservation practices will be more important than RIAI membership. so why not seek out previous clients/works of theirs, in order to ensure they are right for you:)

traditional an arch has taken the role of cooridinator of other professional involvement and contractor, in my opinion your arch/AT will be best placed to advise on your route to completion

a few things to ask about are their preferred strategies for
    • stopping all damp penetration - tanking your home like a swimming pool is no longer best practice..
    • proposed renovation materials &/or sympathetic extension design
    • ventilation - with modern levels of insulation and air-tightness, imo window trickle vents are not enough in old homes unless the structure is breathable)(breathable meaning similar to Gore-tex clothing properties - not leaking air)
    • insulation - avoid inappropriate insulation locations and control internal moisture.
    • finally and only once all of the above are sorted -helping to select low running cost heating source
    HI BryanF

Thanks for that. I have been doing some research on dampness in stone built old houses (this one has been drylined like a swimming pool and is quite damp and musty!) and I was thinking of using a lime and hemp plaster on the inside and just exposing the stone on the outside. any advice would be well received. If you know any Architects/Arch Tech in West kerry that would have experience in renovating old houses I would apprecciate a pm.

Thanks

HI BryanF

Thanks for that. I have been doing some research on dampness in stone built old houses (this one has been drylined like a swimming pool and is quite damp and musty!) and I was thinking of using a lime and hemp plaster on the inside and just exposing the stone on the outside. any advice would be well received. If you know any Architects/Arch Tech in West kerry that would have experience in renovating old houses I would appreciate a pm.

Thanks
    exposing stone on the outside will just help the rain to penetrate into the wall - especially in Wh'est Kerrie ;)

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    exposing stone on the outside will just help the rain to penetrate into the wall - especially in Wh'est Kerrie ;)

You are right there, Wh'est Kerrie is a fairly damp spot. Would you reccomend a lime plaster on the outside (limecrete?)?

pm sent with details of hemp-lime installer in your area. imo if your going to re-plaster why not add some suitable insulation..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 TransportCons

dooneenboy wrote: »
    I think it would be wisest to engage an architect, perhaps local who can assist you with your plans, he would be best qualified to advise on the initial requirements, ie planning requirements, conservation requirements

The person doesn't necessarily need to be a qualified architect. Architects tend to charge extraordinary amounts to draw up designs. If you have an idea of what you want yourself, best thing is to sketch it out and as someone handy on CAD to draw up a draft. You could easily blow 3000euro on an architect and be left with something that hasn't a got a hope of getting planning permission. (No disrespect to architects!)

If you do end up getting an architect be sure not to let them be too pushy. It's your home, so make it YOURS! The biggest and most important decision you'll make is who the building contractor will be. Once they are good, it'll turn out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dooneenboy

The person doesn't necessarily need to be a qualified architect. Architects tend to charge extraordinary amounts to draw up designs. If you have an idea of what you want yourself, best thing is to sketch it out and as someone handy on CAD to draw up a draft. You could easily blow 3000euro on an architect and be left with something that hasn't a got a hope of getting planning permission. (No disrespect to architects!)

If you do end up getting an architect be sure not to let them be too pushy. It's your home, so make it YOURS! The biggest and most important decision you'll make is who the building contractor will be. Once they are good, it'll turn out well.

I would be the first to say Architects can get a bit excited if let off the leash, but at the same time, for understanding planning and putting together a suitable package for the construction works, they would be better than a draftsman.

A good contractor is important but without suitable direction may also lose the run of themselves, having a sketch and a CAD draft might not be enough provision to complete the project properly or worse over budget.

At the end of the day, I was only offering my opinion to the OP based on what they set out. Budget is important, but they also mention the value of a professional input, I think from this point of view a local architect familiar with this type of project and with a knowledge of suitable contractors to undertake the works. The point being, an architect can assist at all points pre and post contract and will sign off the house.

The issue of architects fees has been debated to death in numerous threads here so lets not go there again and stick to the topic please.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭AMG86

<SNIP>

AMG86 wrote: »
    <SNIP>
    AMG86 please read the forum charter re posting links to businesses.

Oh and it would be appreciated if you would use the default size 2 font. Thanks

Advertisement